Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

Default 1999 - Star Trek - and Fireball ????

Long ago I had noticed the (to me) rather obvious corollary between 1999 and a lesser known other science fiction series... uh, Star Track or whatever it was called.

It seemed to me that the Kirk-Spock- Dr. McCoy trio ... commander, scientist, doctor .... was rather obviously copied in the Koenig - Bergman - Dr. Russell trio.

But then the other day I pulled out my Fireball XL-5 DVD collection for the first time in a couple years and watched a couple episodes.

I was struck by the Steve Zodiac - Prof. Matic - Dr Venus trio. It seems to me that maybe I was being a bit unfair thinking Gerry Anderson was mirroring Star Trek, when in fact I'm beggining to think he maybe was mirroring his own series from 10 years earlier.

And it would explain the rather thin characterization, and wooden acting, of Dr. Russel.
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:36 AM   #2
fs-boneyard
Hydroponics Technician

Default Its all stolen from Forbidden Planet

TREK, 1999, Fire Ball ,they all use the same theme as the 1955 movie
Forbidden Planet infact it really get my goat that Gene Rodenberry seems to be the origional master of Sci fi....The whole theme of trek is stolen from Forbidden planet...Just the Enterprise has more parts than the
C57D spaceship..Besides the 3 main characters the Space warp..Subspace
radio and the Blasters plus many other things Trek Stole 10 years later
As for Star fleet...Its the Navy and west point in space....nothing new there...

The 3 Character system seems to work so people or writers go with it.

I do regrete not having Commisoner Simmons as a full time character on Space 1999 He would have made a Great Dr Smith Character..
Simmons would have removed the somewhat boring edge the 1st season always dragged along ..There was never anybody there to really screw
thing up...

As for Barbra Bains stale acting...The whole Character was done wrong..
If you watch the series She knew The Commander years before in the
dragons domain episode and she made a line known in year 2 during the bringers of wonder that she knew the commander before he was on the
moon as the leader of disaster.
On the the first episode she acts like she never knew him and the
oposite for Keonig too.
As with all gerry anderson shows the Character Building is Awful...Dont even start me on UFO..Love the show but the Characters Stink...

Pete
fs-boneyard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
CR
Science Officer

Just to pick a nit about Russell knowing Koenig in 1996-7 during the "Dragon's Domain" flashbacks... she didn't! She studied and knew Tony Cellini, but it was never revealled that she knew Koenig. It's probable that she knew of him, in relation to the whole Ultra Probe program, but that doesn't mean she'd have actually met him during this time.
As for Season 2 contradictions, well, the whole season contradicts a lot of Season 1...
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
fs-boneyard
Hydroponics Technician

Default had to go back...watch again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
Just to pick a nit about Russell knowing Koenig in 1996-7 during the "Dragon's Domain" flashbacks... she didn't! She studied and knew Tony Cellini, but it was never revealled that she knew Koenig. It's probable that she knew of him, in relation to the whole Ultra Probe program, but that doesn't mean she'd have actually met him during this time.
As for Season 2 contradictions, well, the whole season contradicts a lot of Season 1...

Ahhh. You are correct Grasshopper...Oh well...I thought she did
because I just watched the 2 parter second season with the Jelly
creatures and Johns old girlfriend showed up on the Swift..
What was she..Ah Pirranah or Barrcuda or somthing...Helena said..

Oh lets forgot Johns wife got Nuked in 1987..or maybe he was just
trying to hit on MAYA>>>>

Pete
fs-boneyard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
zico
Waste Technician

Default Forbidden...?

Re the above...."Forbidden Planet" yeah Roddenberry really based his "Star Trek" style on that....but also on the Westerns that he & Gene l. Coon used to write for...
He sold "Star Trek" to Desilu Productions (Paramount) as "Wagon Train to the Stars....", and you get commander/ Scout / Cook axis in most of those shows like "Wagon Train" or "Rawhide"...etc, indeed scripts are rehashed...
A "Wagon Train" tale re a boy raised by the Indians...became "Charlie X" in "Star Trek" (boy raised by aliens), then back west to "High Chaparral" when a girl is raised by the Indians (ep : "Feather of an Eagle")...then back to a young boy raised by aliens again in "Star Trek: TNG"....

Jeff Hunter was "Temple Houston" a western series...then Capt.Chris Pike in the original "Star Trek" pilot film "The Cage", while Shatner, Nimoy & Kelley are all in "Gunsmoke","Wagon Train", "Bonanza","Virginian" "Lone Ranger" shows etc....
The Leslie Neilsen film "Forbidden Planet" really does set the "Star Trek" scenario (in "The Menagerie" Talos Four had become the only "Forbidden Planet" under General Order Seven...)
zico is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote