Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #81
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Just been re-reading my copy of Tim Heald's Making of Space:1999 while watching the season two episodes, and it is interesting to see that nobody really talks about season one at all, and that nobody actually seems to be aware of the detrimental effect Fred Freiburger is having on the show. Obviously the book is more of a promotional piece than serious analysis, but you do get the feeling that the crew don't seem to realise what they're working on.

Freiburger himself only appears to have watched eight episodes of season one, and is fairly dismissive of everything except the production values, while Gerry seems more occupied with keeping the animals under control than having any creative input.

It's also worth noting that a lot of the criticisms levelled at season two S99 could also be directed at Gerry's later work, so perhaps it's unfair to blame Freiburger entirely for season two's problems. There was obviously a huge amount of pressure from ITC's US office to make the show a ratings winner, and also the departure of Sylvia and the Byrne/Penfold writing partnership must have had a huge effect.

It's a pity that Heald didn't write the book he might have done at one point about the making of series one, but having an eyewitness account of 'How not to build on your success' does also have its uses.

The book also mentions the internal review that Byrne and Penfold wrote about season one. Does anyone know if copies of this still exist ? Would be fascinating to hear what their comments were.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #82
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

If anyone has or knows who has, Martin Willey at the Catacombs site will.

I assume you've seen it but if not.... :

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #83
rabbidsquirrel
Medical Technician

well

i think "fred" should of been phasered (max setting)
as to the pressure of high ratings? $$$$$$$$$$$
which alas can break the back of any show but there was Mia the char of Mia was cool to me and allways well S2 was a break from the first , but it was space (in a way saying "bad" space is better than no space)
this goes through my mind from time to time when thinking on
Space:1999 rescue
rabbidsquirrel is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #84
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
If anyone has or knows who has, Martin Willey at the Catacombs site will.
Have checked the reference library in the Catacombs, but can't see it there. I guess if it did still exist Martin would probably have a copy.
Old 28-03-2007, 12:36 AM   #85
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

May be one of the reasons season two wasn't that well received was because the episode titles didn't really capture the essence of their content. Perhaps if they'd stuck to the working titles...

The Metamorph - The I've Never Metamorphenomenonallyunsuitableproducer

The Exiles - The Ex Blue Peter Presenter

One Moment of Humanity - One Moment of Humiliation

All That Glisters - Six Alphans in Search of an Author

Journey to Where - Journey to Black Park

Space Warp - Ill Metamorph by Moonlight

There may be others I'm not aware of...

Old 28-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #86
Warin
Astrophysics Technician

I am currently "acquiring" season two. If it is not as terribly bad as I seem to remember, I will probably buy the DVDs. But... I wonder if they will eventually get an HD treatment... in which case, would I be a terrible person if I did not buy them but waited for the HD transfers?

Or will it just be so awful that I will block it out and buy season one when it is available on HD and forget that season two ever existed?
Warin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #87
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Depends what you like (or don't) about season two. The effects might look better on HD, though it will show up any faults and the image will probably be cropped. If you want to watch the eps, but aren't too worried about HD image quality, but would like the full image, get the DVDs.
Old 29-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #88
ashford
Life Support Technician

Journey to Where - Journey to Black Park

That's made me laugh!

''
ashford is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #89
ashford
Life Support Technician

Default S2

How about unfilmed S2 episodes?

I would suggest:

"Disciples of Croydon"

"A Stitch in Time"

"The Neighbours"

"Daytrip to Why"

"The Judgement of Basildon"

"Windmills of Your Moon"
ashford is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #90
Pete Schmitz
Travel Tube Technician

Alright I am gonna chime in- I love season 1- when it works well, and it did many times, I think it was better than trek. For me personally I like the Black Sun type episodes, the more straight sci-fi. To say that season 2 sucks is a colossal understatement. But, if you are a kid, as I was, you also liked season two, because it had more monsters and explosions, etc. There were a few that don't turn my stomach too bad- luton is one. But here is I think the Freiberger effect- that giant sucking sound is a total abandonment of the adult audience and an almost cartoonish attempt to appeal to kids. SO of course it really sucks now. Back when I was a kid it wasn't so bad. Take Maya- not the most ridiculous character ever- but made so by the bad monster outfits, bad effects, and how often and conveniently it was overused. I compare it to the hippie episode in season 3 of trek- an obvious appeal to Monkees fans, as was Checkov. But Checkov wound up being a decent character anyway, and other than all the constant turning into something stupid Maya was a good character. I still like Tony. I liked the new outfits- but their biggest mistake was trading the awesom main mission they had for the new one which looked like it was in a basement. I think it suffered from the classic sci-fi dilemma- it is almost impossible to have an action show with a mind- if you make it an action fest you lose the essence of what made it.
Pete Schmitz is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote