Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-10-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

Default What do you use for an EAGLE PILOT?

Mattel's Eagle One is great, the figures...not so much. The sculpts are great but its tough to have them in the pilot's seat. So what do you use instead of these figures?

I started using GI JOE ACE-skystriker pilot from the 1980s line of GI JOE toys. Now I have discovered that the the SPEED RACER movie figures fit oh so much better, but how to make them look more like Alphans. Im not wanting to cut the helmets, but I might have to go that way. GI JOE ACTION ASTRONAUT--regular 3 3/4 scale came with a helmet and a cool life pack to the front chest-would make a great EAGLE pilot, now if I can only find him. I know I can customize the cockpit but Im a novice and dont really want to screw it up. At least not yet anyways. I was thinking some of the BMX bike figures have a full helmet and are made very similar to the old gi joes

So what do you use?
Tristan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
NeoGoglu
Eagle Pilot

Most of us are using the original figures that were
in the original studio scale eagles in Space 1999.

Which are the astronauts included in the
1/24 revell gemini model kit # 85-1835

Like those ones below :

They are already in a seated position, can't be sure at 100%
but i think the could fit into a Mattel eagle cockpit.

I blew up my Mattel Eagle with firecrackers 24 years ago,
and never saw another one with my own eyes since then,
so don't count on me for the exact scale.

You can find this kit only on Ebay, it is also pretty expensive,
in the range of 50 $ to 80 $.

I bougth those 2 buddies for .99 cents last week :

Ebay item ID = 130446965810

They also fit A-1 in the Moonbuggy that was used in scale with the
studio full size eagle :

Same kit, as the one used in this shot :

Last edited by NeoGoglu; 31-10-2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: I'm drunk ...
NeoGoglu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 04:04 AM   #3
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

Nice pics thanks.

Ive got it down to 3 different figures. Each has its pros and cons, so here is what I found so far.

GI JOE ACE/SKYSTRIKER PILOT
pros--has helmet, has ribbing on arms and legs, white lifepack will fit over mold.
cons--have to squeeze and manuever figure in order to fit into CM, looks like he is napping.
you have to paint.
not hard to find but you will spend a few bucks.

SPEED RACER 2009-movie figures.
pros--you can find these figures practically anywhere, usually cheap to.
knee/pelvic articulation and same goes for elbow/shoulder.
MATTEL EAGLE ONE helmets fit--BUT...you have to cut the ribbing off the neck, leave one ring and it fits great. Face is fully seen in the helmet opening.
Figure is same size as Mattel Alphans, C-shaped hands
cons--You have to paint

Fisher Price Adventure People Race car driver
pros-it fits in the CM (barely) BUT at such a reclined position, he has a ball joint at the base of his neck, so it looks like he is looking straight out--that to me is cool.
The life support pack fits.
Accessory vehicles like the 6 wheeled green atv is great to have a variant moon buggy.
cons--wish the figure was a wee bit smaller and you might have to sand off the visor which is in the up position.
-You gotta paint him.

smallest figure is SPEED RACER
medium sized is FP ADVENTURE PEOPLE RACE CAR DRIVER --------the irony that both are racers is not lost on me.
large size is SKYSTRIKER ACE.

He is a little cartoonish looking but that's fine with me, he was part of an incredible toy line, mixing the two just seemed natural.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
stephenjrider
Hydroponics Technician

I think he's talking about the Mattel Eagle, not a studio scale model.
stephenjrider is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/member...-ap-alphan.jpg

I repainted an ATV and, not for nothing, its working out better than I thought.

The small jet craft atop the EAGLE is a steath fighter/recon ship from the GI JOE R.O.C.C. playset. I plan on painting her orange and giving her a nose and wing job.

Bear in mind, Im not going for perfect here. I like the fact that its a toy and would prefer to just augment its play value. The FISHER PRICE ADVENTURE PEOPLE line is just ripe with figures and smaller attachments/accessories. I dont know if anyone has ever heard of the ALPHA STAR but its a rover and I think it would fit in well with the S99 realm of play.

As far as astronauts, doesnt matter if its Mattel or model. Im game for both and Im curious what others bring to the table when it comes to manning their EAGLES.

You might notice the EAGLE sits a bit taller, that because I took the landing gear out and added toothpaste caps and taped them on for a trial run. They are all uniform in size and it was just the right amount of height I wanted.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/member...es-perfect.jpg

This is the SPEED RACER figure with the cut helmet. He fits very easily into the seat and the backpack fits with no problem at all. Althought he cant wear it while piloting the ship.

I painted all three figures and here is my opinion on all 3.

SPEED RACER-actually looks the most like the old figures, life support vest and helmet fit well, looks amazing and fits into the yellow atv/moon buggy with no difficulty. Still looks reclined when flying. 8/10

FP ADVENTURE PEOPLE RACE DRIVER--Looks good in the orange, solid figure, reminds me alot of the well done toys of the 1970s. He fits barely into the CM, but his neck cranes forward and you can see a pilot face in the CM window. Fits into the atv naturally and just seems to fit with the overall toy EAGLE. 9/10.

GI JOE ACE-The ribbing on the flight suit of the figure adds to the 70s look, helmet is okay, it looks like it has the locking ring when you take off the helmet so that adds effect. The figure is very articulated with swivel joints and able to bend at the waist in addition to the regular articulation.

The Mattel EAGLE 1 is a great toy, but it can still be improved upon as seen by several customs here. I like the fact that figures make it that much more fun in addition to the ship itself. For more of a fun factor, I like the Adventure People. They are pretty solid and even with limited articulation, the ball jointed base of the neck allows for a wide range of more animated poses.

There is also a GI JOE ACTION PILOT ASTRONAUT that basically is a Gemini astronaut for anyone that is interested. He has a chest pack, molded in silverish grey and has a 60s astronaut helmet with a moveable visor. He came with a capsule and 4 other action gi joes in the 3 3/4 scale. He does fit in the EAGLE CM but it is a bit tight.
Old 23-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
eagleharbor
Hydroponics Technician

Default mattel customs

I used the "tonka race car driver" for my Hawks, they also make a motorcycle driver that has bending knees. I cut some off his pant legs and re-glued the feet to make a better size. the mattel helmet rings can be put under the original tonka helmet and look great when painted. please dont cut any original helmets, I can mail you 3 repros you can cut the neck rings off if you go with those. I have made a few of these buggys before,one with a firing missle from a starwars toy, that looked really cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixtures 004.jpg (92.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01327.jpg (92.4 KB, 32 views)
eagleharbor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
eagleharbor
Hydroponics Technician

Default one more from the past

I sent one of these to designasorus last year. he does awesome work he said he would redesign it better and sell them as a toy at some point I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00240.jpg (88.3 KB, 49 views)
eagleharbor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
CR
Science Officer

Speaking of Adventure People, when I was a child, I always thought that one of the female figures resembled Sandra, at least superficially in the face. The figure had a short ponytail, but it wasn't visible when viewed from the front. She was clad in light blue shorts and a yellow polo shirt, and came with a mountain climbing pack and cloth sleeping bags. (She was part of a two-pack; the male was a re-issue of the red-shirted 'woodsman' looking man with red hair and a beard, who also had a climbing backpack in this case.)
If I can, I'll try to post a pic in a week or so... having camera-to-computer issues of late!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleharbor View Post
I used the "tonka race car driver" for my Hawks, they also make a motorcycle driver that has bending knees. I cut some off his pant legs and re-glued the feet to make a better size. the mattel helmet rings can be put under the original tonka helmet and look great when painted. please dont cut any original helmets, I can mail you 3 repros you can cut the neck rings off if you go with those. I have made a few of these buggys before,one with a firing missle from a starwars toy, that looked really cool.
Im stunned, literally. I always liked the rollbar to this atv better than the moonbuggy, just made more sense and seemed more practical with the space in the back. Well done sir, well done indeed.

Old 30-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

I wonder if Mattel still has the molds for the EAGLE 1, it would be interesting if Designasaurus could get them to do an updated EAGLE as a one shot toy/collector's item. What I wouldnt give to see an upgraded Mattel Eagle and Mattel Hawk on the shelves.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
Designasaurus
Travel Tube Technician

Unfortunately I'm not on the inside at Mattel any more, I left to work freelance, otherwise I would push for bringing back the Eagle . (Hasbro seems to be doing well with it's resurrection of the Kenner Star Wars line.)

Eagleharbour is correct, I've got his old 1/24th moonbuggy all cut-up on my workbench and I'm in the process of making it into a Mattel-scaled toy kit. I'm planning on having it finished this spring, It would have been sooner but I've been busy with the arrival of my second daughter.

As for figures, I still like the smaller Construx astronauts circa 1984.
Designasaurus is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote