Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #101
powysmateo
Chef

Powys Media has licensed Phoenix of Megaron for republication. It will be edited to fit within the "Powysverse" and contain appropriate continuity references to Years One and Two and to the other Powys novels. The edit is being done by myself and John Mason (John Rankine's son) as was done with Android Planet. Android Planet is coming out in January, Phoenix of Megaron in February (or 2011). And Phoenix will be published with a cherry red cover!
powysmateo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #102
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Sweet! I can't wait!
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #103
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Great news - looks like the year 2011 is going to be another good year for Space 1999 reading material.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #104
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

So far, the whole DECADE has been a good one for "Space:1999" books! If I'm not mistaken, there may have been more published (in the USA) since 2001 than the original 16 printed between 1975 & 1977. And, my honest opinion is that the Powys original novels are much better than the four printed by Pocket in 1976. I guess it helps if the authors have 30 years to catch up on the shows, right? Good show, Powys!! Keep 'em coming! Another thought: Any plans to do "UFO" novels?
Old 14-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #105
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Well,I have a UFO Prequel nearing completion...
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #106
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk View Post
Well,I have a UFO Prequel nearing completion...
Really? That'd be cool...Personally, I'm writing an outline that will combine "UFO" & "Space:1999"...I always considered the two as an older & younger sibling worthy of a team-up.
Old 14-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #107
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

UFO – Edge of Armageddon (working title)

By Colin M. Taylor

Story Synopsis

The story is set in 1970.

One night, a TV Reporter, Keith Ford, is working alone on a documentary on Unidentified Flying Objects, having had a close encounter some years before in which his wife was abducted. Hearing a familiar noise, he runs outside to see a UFO nearby. He manages to photograph the alien vehicle.
The next day, he shows the photographs to his editor who gives him the green light to broadcast his report.

Although SHADO (Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation) has just been given the 'Go-Ahead' by a special committee of the UN, it is far from operational and recruitment has only just started.
Of great concern is the news that a news reporter has photographic evidence of the existence of UFOs. Plans are made to suppress the story

At West Raynham, in England, a routine test of a Bloodhound Surface-To-Air Missile battery goes wrong and hits a UFO by mistake. The damaged UFO crash-lands near the Queen's Residence at Sandringham in Norfolk.

Having heard the news that his story is to be ‘spiked’, a disgusted Ford argues with his Editor and is sent on leave. Following a tip-off from a colleague, he decides to go to Norfolk, officially just for a rest.

As squad of The RAF Regiment, who provide security at the Base, are sent to check on the crashed UFO. A firefight ensues in which Ford becomes involved.

The local police force, dealing with a serial killer find that one of their own has been murdered and his organs removed.
They then receive reports of a shooting near Sandringham House. The weapon, when examined at a Government research laboratory, proves to be totally unlike anything known to man...

In Turkey, there is a massive earthquake, miles from the nearest seismic fault. Ford is sent to Edinburgh to interview a Geologist who claims that the ‘quake was probably the result of underground nuclear tests.

In Eastern Siberia, A UFO is tracked on radar. The intercepting fighters disappear and Soviet Forces are placed on alert

The two superpowers each accuse the other of conducting 'provocative' underground nuclear tests.

Reporting back to his Editor, Ford is sent to Turkey to cover for the local reporter who is ill.

Arriving in Ankara. Ford is met by a reporter from Turkish Television and fly to the epicentre of the earthquake. Soon they find clear signs of UFO activity.

Are aliens responsible for the earthquake? How? Why?

Can Ford alert the world to the danger?

Can the newly appointed Commander Straker prevent the truth about the existence of UFOs leaking out whilst at the same time preventing World War III and saving his marriage?
Old 14-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #108
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Nice story outline there. Looks good. Are you going to tie-in Fords' interview with Dr. Stranges? If I remember the episode ("Conflict"? "Question Of Priorities"?), Ford was conducting an interview with Stranges in 1969.

My story will be a bit more difficult as it occurs between "UFO" (1980-1981) & "Space:1999" on the day of Breakaway. I'm re-watching the "UFO" episodes to gather info & to make sure I'm not contradicting anything that's come before. Sounds like we both have similiar (yet VERY different) backgrounds to our stories. I'll be delving into both series equally, I think. At least for now. The "Space:1999 Tech Notebook" (Starlog Press, 1977) is a big help in tying the two together...
Old 14-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #109
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

The Stranges interview is mentioned in passing. The story also draws on 'Identified', 'Confetti Check A-OK' and 'The Long Sleep'.

Last edited by MkIXHawk; 14-12-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 14-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #110
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk View Post
The interview is mentioned in passing
Good! I was hoping you didn't forget that...