Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Launch Crater

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #141
Knight1966
Communications Officer

going by the cutaway and given the fact that Scott's chair pivots wouldn't anyone in TB 3 be tossed on the floor as soon as it veered off vertical?
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #142
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Brains uses artificial gravity inside TB3- same as on TB5. The pilot's chair is probably engineered to work without any gravity just in case...

Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #143
janus5
Geological Technician

As we all know, in film & TV most models had 2 or 3 different size models for standard shots & close up filming. I know the Millenium Falcon for example had a 3 ft, a 5 ft and a full size version. Each one was built for different shots. The parts, or "greebies" on the 3ft version of the Falcon were taken straight from model kits such as Tamiya etc. The 5ft version had much more detail, and the parts were made by the SFX crews.
So if I am going set out to build a replica of one of these craft, the first thing I do is to decide which version to build.
In the case of Thunderbirds, I will always try and make the model to look as much like the ones in the opening & closing titles, as I think these are the definitive versions. The TB3 on the opening title is more or less devoid of any surface detail, even on the white collar, and is a totally different colour & finish to the launch version. This is the reason why I removed all the panel lines from the UNCL kit.
Saturnapollo suggested I try Humrol Satin red for the colour, so I bought a few tins yesterday, & it does look pretty close to me. I may add a little yellow to orange it up a bit, so I will keep you posted on how it works out.
janus5 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #144
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

I look upon the multiple filming models as different versions attempting to show the 'real' craft. Since the human eye has a higher resolution than any DVD/VHS for detail I also try to max things there too. I want to build it so when you look at it you think "So that is what it really looks like..."
That's just me, but TB3 ia a grail kit and I will not get second chance to make it better the next time.
That Collar image was a great reference- are there any more areas of interest which might have details not normally shown?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #145
yarvelling
Computer Technician

What sort of other areas of detail are you needing, Richard?
I must confess, I got lucky with that last shot 'cause I was watching that episode for only about the second time since buying the DVD years ago - not so keen on those 'compilation' sorts! I don't, as yet, have the full Sun Probe episode.
Steve.
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #147
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Thanks Janus5- those are some great shots!

Other deatils I am looking for are the-
Tops of the engine pods (four reverse thrusters?)
Bottom of the engine pods (main engines)
Base of the reactor fins (yellow striping)
Any view of the nose hatch (how the New Jersey did they get into TB5 when docked?)
and lastly- any od the tiny greebly (ports, nozzels, raised panels, markings) which were added to the large model similar to what was shown on those above links. I can make stuff up to have it look good, but I would like to include any existing details and then extrapolate fo rthe unseen sides.

Thanks again for the phots already- the Uncle kit is big enough to add these sorts of things and IIRC the larger models made fo rth ebig screen movies had a lot of extras (and some revisions) added to increase the realism.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #148
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Here's a few more Richard that I've found/grabbed...a couple are 'borrowed', cropped, and enlarged from the Behind The Scenes thread, and may be of help, the rest are grabbed off DVD's.....There's a nice close-up of TB-3's base and engine from the launch during Thunderbirds Are Go:

An odd shot from a couple of seconds later showing missing numbers!

A couple of docking shots:

And those Behind The Scenes pics:

Hope these are useful
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #149
brucewoollatt
Hydroponics Technician

Hi Richard;

I don't think any such hatch was ever shown. There are many things like that in Thunderbirds that are never shown. How does Scott ever get out of Thunderbird 1 once it's at the danger zone? How does he get his mobile command centre communications equipment out of wherever it's carried on TB1?
How does Virgil get out of Thunderbird 2's cockpit and get into the pod vehicle? How does he do that once TB2 is raised up on its legs? So "How does Alan go from TB3 to TB5?" is another one of those questions.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere a high angle down view photo of the TB3 launch bay model showing four black circles on the front faces of the engine pods. Whether these are seen on any of the other models, I don't recall. The more you look at the show, the more conflicting details one finds. For example, the model used for shots of TB3 rising through the roundhouse have a black "3" on the main fuselage aft of the THUNDERBIRD lettering. is, seen on no other model (and as far as I can recall, this model, or at least no model with this particular version of marking) is seen in any other shot in the entire series.*

Other conflicting TB3 detail:

The large "3" on the rear aft fuselage can be seen in a variety of orientations, usually so it can best be "read" in the particular shot. Sometimes it's vertical, sometimes horizontal.

The black wraparound details on the leading edges of the "arms" leading to the engine pods are either six or seven in number.

If you're building one, I guess it's a matter of which one you choose. With TB3, at least there aren't as many different versions to choose from as 1 and 2, which are real continuity nightmares. So far as I can tell, TB5 is the only one of the main Thunderbirds vehicles for which there is only one version, which suggests to me that there was only ever one model of it made. Is this correct?

*As a side note, this roundhouse shot has one of those neat little details that helps to "sell" the shot. If you look closely, something like dry ice vapour can be seen in what I take to be a simulation of the vapours from cryogenic rocket fuel. (See also use of similar effect on Sunprobe fuel lines when they are disconnected prior to liftoff).
brucewoollatt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #150
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Hi Bruce
I think the large white 3's on the base are deliberately positioned so that one faces the right way whichever angle you are viewing from...there's a couple of shots where at least 2 are visible at a time! Can't say I'd noticed a black 3 there though! Maybe they couldn't decide which one to use in that shot I posted above...?!!!!
Also, another of those great un-answered questions is: How the hell does Virgil collect Pod 4 after he's dropped in the sea?
Cheers,
steve.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #151
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewoollatt View Post
TB5 is the only one of the main Thunderbirds vehicles for which there is only one version, which suggests to me that there was only ever one model of it made. Is this correct?
Only one model - but it was refurbished for the feature films, so the detailing changes
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #152
brucewoollatt
Hydroponics Technician

Hi Yarvelling;

The model with the black 3 on the fuselage is the one in the launch sequence shot where TB3 passes through the roundhouse. It is only on this model in this shot, so far as I've been able to see. Watch carefully or you'll miss it! Freeze-frame helps.
brucewoollatt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #153
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
It's possible that some still exist either in the hands of people who worked at the studio or the kids from the then nearby estate who found their way in when the Stirling Road studios closed. There are a very few exceptions now in private hands but generally, no large hero models from any of the early series survive. There was a rumour that the large XL5 model was alive and well and living in France but no one seems to be able to confirm this.
Someone I trust told me that the an original studio Thunderbird 2 survived...
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #154
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The 6ft TB3 must have been both light and strong to cope with being strapped to a wall by the white ring for filming, Richocette (sorry about the spelling, there's no spell check on this computer) I think. Lots of lovely close ups in that.

It would be wonderful to find that some of these vehicles had actually survived. Auctions in the next 20 years may reveal what Grandpa managed to salvage from the studios... who knows

This why we are so lucky with S99.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #155
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Richocette (sorry about the spelling, there's no spell check on this computer)
I think you mean Rick-otch-et Tony -

Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 20-02-2009, 01:28 AM   #156
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

So glad of google spell check. Lost here without it

And one of the Rick-otch-et brothers went on to be very famous indeed
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #157
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterspy View Post
Someone I trust told me that the an original studio Thunderbird 2 survived...
Really? Hmmm, anyway you could find out what color it is? This would be some very big news.
James
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #158
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNCH View Post
Really? Hmmm, anyway you could find out what color it is? This would be some very big news.
James
Well, I've been told rather exclusively that it's...

green.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #159
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Hey, it was worth a shot.
James
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #160
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becco_UK View Post

I found this forum/ thread by chance when researching Thunderbird 3 for a 3D model I was making. So thank you to all those that provided some useful info'. The posted image is how my interpretation turned out.
Nice work. I would like a large print of this?
LeeXi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote