Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
preHEstoric
Astrophysics Technician

Default A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

Working in Westminster I often visit my company's London office in Berkeley Square. Whilst there I remembered that the location was used for a 1979 film called "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" which I watched many years ago. It starred Richard Jordan and David Niven and was about a bank robbery. A quick browse of Ebay found a cheap DVD copy and while watching it the other night I couldn't help feel that the huge bank vault was strangley familiar looking. A quick flick through the episodes Beta Cloud and Bringers of Wonder confirmed what I thought...it's the same safe and surround found on Alpha.

If I knew how to do DVD screen captures I would post one up. I presume this was a studio prop that was lying in stores after filming. Given that most of Space 1999's sets were bespoke has anyone ever spotted any other off-casts on other films or shows?

Regards
David
preHEstoric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 02:12 AM   #2
CR
Science Officer

Don't forget "Force of Life!"
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Stu73
Communications Officer

MY GAWD!!!
You mean Pinky knows the code to ALPHA's secure doors???

Also known as 'The greatest Bank Robbery Ever'
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Default Re: A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by preHEstoric
Given that most of Space 1999's sets were bespoke has anyone ever spotted any other off-casts on other films or shows?
Century21Slough is pretty good on this kind of thing. I believe Who and B7 used some of the 99 props and furniture.

I also remember seeing this film and recognising the vault door, and also seeing it around this time in the scene dock at Pinewood when I went to an open day the studio had in the late 70s. Sadly there wasn't much else of 99 in evidence apart from a glass screen which had the spacesuit design painted on it. I think I might still have a picture of this somewhere and will try to locate it.

The open day was pretty amazing - the first and only time the studio had been open to the public, and there were queues of cars stretching back almost into Slough. We were allowed onto studio sets including the Ice Fortress from Superman and I think some of the sets from The Medusa Touch. There were also lots of recognisable props lying around the studio buildings, including a bodyshell from the Spy Who Loved Me's submersible Lotus and several of the pedal cars from Bugsy Malone. Just wish I'd taken more pictures !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

If you watch "The Medusa Touch", the crew of the doomed spacecraft are wearing Alpha spacesuits, but the only shot you get of them is via a B/W news still. I have even noticed one of SHADO's computers on Alpha, in the technical section in "Voyager's return"

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...r/spvr0795.jpg

it is just next to Helena in this still, (follow the link above)

This console has had the large tape reels removed, it is the one from the UFO episode "Close up" that processes the B-142 shots, this prop always turned up later, behind John Craven and Noel Edmonds on the "Swap shop" set in 1976, along with loads of Alpha plastic furniture.

http://www.itsbettertinnedthanfresh....nds/noel5.html
(next to this is the control panel from the SHADO lunar module)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/sw...swapshop05.ram

It also turns up in loads of Doctor who in/around 1978.

Cheers H
Century21Slough is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
preHEstoric
Astrophysics Technician

Great spot.

I think we know where Noel got the computer from....

preHEstoric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

Verry Good LOL
Century21Slough is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Have now managed to dig out all the negs I could find of the Pinewood Studios open day in the late seventies. I could only find two, but they're the only two that were Anderson related. They were both taken outside L&M stages, one showing an information board about Space, the other a glass screen with a spacesuit outline graphic. Originally I thought this was also from Space, but I've now realised it was used in Doppelganger. Must have beeen hanging round the studios for about ten years at the time these shots were taken.

Still working on the size thing...
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
CR
Science Officer

Funny how the tag reads "Also starring Barry Morse," but all the photos are from Season 2.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote