SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
doon
Communications Officer

Default Landing Pads???

Hey gang,
I'm waiting on two more P/E's and want to start a hangar bay to store/display. I could use some input on a couple of items.
First, on the surface, the pad comes up in "cross" formation, when entering the bay, it is rectangular? I would like to have one eagle on its lift while the others are in the bay so what should it be, cross or rectangle.
Also, if anyone can tell me the proper red to use for the pad itself.
Any ideas on how to proceed in construction also appreciated
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

Well, the most likely "real" explanation for the Eagle lift platform they showed in "Space Warp" and "The Seance Specter" is it was a lot easier to build the miniature set with the smaller lift platform for the bottom of the shaft.

Now, to come up with a reason: Maybe the cross pad is just the upper section of the assembly. Someplace between the surface and the hanger there has to be an airlock. So, even though the upper pad has protective hatches (shown also in "The Dorcons") the final airlock chamber actually ajoins the hanger bay itself. And the reason for this is to allow staging. An eagle on the pad being prepared for final liftoff, and an eagle being moved into position below it. So there are really two lift shafts, parallel to each other. In the mid level are facilities for moving the eagle from the lower lift platform to the cross shapped one.

And this convoluted reasoning allows the model builder to take the same shortcut the SFX team did: build a smaller lift platform to reside in a chamber adjoining the main hanger. Which is what I'm planning on.

Keep in mind that the chamber for the lift platform is going to be at least 14 inches long (hey, the PE Eagle is 12) by 10 inches across. So if you really do attatch it to your hanger, you've got a huge diorama.

I'm designing my hanger to allow for the lift chamber, but the chamber will be attatchable / stand alone, the better to make it all fit on the shelf. Otherwise you've got a diorama that takes up the entire dining room table.
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Shhh! Nobody mention the hangar hoist having to pass through the hangar door.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #4
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

(stage whisper) Well, actually, I'm making the door assembly appear to have an upper door slot to accomadate that problem. (/stage whisper)

I have no idea how to handle the multiple baffles in the ceiling of the main hanger that would block any rails. And the even more mysterious way that they flip directions by 90 degress from shot to shot in "Space Warp"

I'm thinking I'll just leave out the entire ceiling which solves the problem. Leaves it to the imagination.
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
doon
Communications Officer

AHHHHH
One show site stated something similar, that they transfer over to ensure airlock seal. So I'm going with a 14x7 inch lift.
DX, YES, bugged me from the first time I saw it, I think I'll correct it with rail attached to each side of horizontal doors and lining up with fixed rails that line front to back and side to side. Probly include a rotating crane.
My diorama may not be exact to show specs, but if it makes more sense (and is easier ) I'll go with artistic license

Old 11-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
doon
Communications Officer

Oh,
And THANKS GUYS!!!!
Just ran in from cutting wood and plexiglass and left my manners outside