Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #1
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Default MPC Pilgrim Observer, LOTS of kitbash possibilities here!

I picked up the reissue of the Pilgrim Observer this past week. I have one of the originals, but I wanted a second one as I've been sketching out ideas for a kitbash I want to do with it.

I started assembling some of the parts tonight, and given its age it actually fits together rather well considering. Granted all the consumables tanks will take some seam work, but that is to be expected somewhat. There are all sorts of nice little shapes and greeblie bits on the model that make it perfect to use for something "Andersonesque".

So, I threw together some preliminary sketched of a Ultra/Meta style Space:1999 spaceprobe and now I've got bits of the Pilgrim Observer, the Revell Armageddon Russian Space Center (i.e. Mir with some sf bits on it), remains of a trashed MPC Eagle, parts from a mostly complete good Eagle and an Airfix Saturn V. With these bits and a few others, I am going to see what I can come up with. I could call it the "Ultra Cool Probe," but that name has been taken by the UFO 1999 production. But I will use that as my working title until I come up with something better.

So I'll see what I can do with it this week before getting back to the daily grind on the Moonraker. I now have a deadline for it as I have to get it done by the first week in May for a James Bond 50th anniversary movie event here in town. Granted the movie being shown with NOT be Moonraker, but the display wants stuff from as many of the Bond film genres as possible and this should more than qualify for it.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
CR
Science Officer

I had a few of these years ago for kitbashing, and have nearly run out of parts over tghe years. Glad to see it being reissued at long last! (And yes, I have one 'as is,' too... it's a neat conceptual craft!)

Does the re-release include the informational booklet about the 'real' Pilgrim's proposed characteristics and mission? That was rather neat. The iron-on patches of the Pilgrim logo, though cheesily cheap by today's standards, were a neat touch, too. I still have multiples of both of those things safely stored ina cool, dry place away from light. (I wonder if the iron-ons would even work anymore? Maybe I'll try it on the worst-registered one of the group...)

Last edited by CR; 27-02-2011 at 05:58 AM.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Is this available in the UK? Looks like an essential purchase, lots of inspiring bits.

S 1999 would have looked v different if the modelers had got thier hands on a load of these?
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Answers own question: Yes 99 from Comet!!!(Original) or $30 from MegaHobby in the USA, plus P&P
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default You mean like one of these?

Ta da... found on eBay:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53...mtid=824&kw=lg
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Did you hear the rumors that Revell Germany is planning to
bring out newly tooled 1/600 scale model kits of the Classic
U.S.S. Enterprise and the Classic D-7 Klingon Battlecruiser
from the OTS Star Trek TV Series on this very year?
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
CR
Science Officer

That pic Bernie posted of the old box is the one I have multiples of, and included the iron-on patch & the info booklet. I love that old box art!
By the way, I used modified parts from one of my Pilgrims to make my own replica of the Meta Probe, back in the pre-internet days when I had not seen "Breakaway" in over 20 years, and the only photo reference I had was a tiny B&W Starlog pic of Brian Johnson holding (and covering up part of) the model. My model was about the right size & shape, but of course the details were not quite studio accurate, and the part Johnson's hand covered up was wrong. (I had used the part that is pointing toward the top of the box art in that pic Bernie posted, with some modifications, and didn't realise until years later that there should have been cylindrical protrusions extending outward from it.) Sadly, my model is now in pieces after suffering through one too many moves; I walk by it each time I go to my workbench, and think "I should really fix that thing & post some pics to the ETF, just for fun."
Old 28-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Yes, except for the new box, it has all the original goodies (the book and an iron on patch, although I think the iron on is a mockup and not real). James Small did the buildup on the box and it looks incredible when done OOB, but with a new paintjob.
Old 28-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
CR
Science Officer

Nice to see E James Small keping busy with the model kit box art build-ups. I enjoyed his ST K-7 Space Station and his UFO Mystery Ship (aka Yuri Gagarin, aka Leif Ericson).
I should mention that the original iron-on patch was a transfer, not an embroidered patch. I imagine that's what you mean about the new version, JM?
I always thought the Pilgrim would look cool with how NASA & ESA do their current things, including in some spots reflective 'foil' and what not. Is that how the new box art looks?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Well, its kind of hard to describe the art without showing a picture of it. Here's an article of James' buildup:

http://www.round2models.com/workbenc...lgrim-observer

I am pretty sure the model pictured is the one that ended up on the box art.

Since I have an original Pilgrim, I know what the original transfer looked like and this new one looks more like a piece of paper with the logo printed backwards (like the transfer) instead of a transfer. But there have been 30 years of advances in iron on transfers (I had an old Star Wars T-shirt in 1977 that had a transfer on it for the art and it fell apart rather quickly), so maybe it does work. I think it is a mockup though.

I have been tempted to do a Pigrim mk 2 as it were, perhaps with an Orion docked to it instead of the Apollo M, along with some foiled areas and perhaps some fold out solar arrays, but the "Ultra Cool Probe" idea is attracting more attention right now. I plan to do more work on it tonight while Top Gear is on.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Funny the Ultra Cool probe was mentioned, as in 1999 I had managed to get my hands on part of a stash of Pilgrim Observer kits, at about $6.00 apiece via an add in the old Toy Shop newsletter. (I had bought my very first one in 1975 at the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL, for only $4.00! Even then it was a fantastic price...wish it cost that now!) I ran across it at Kyle's house about a year before UFO:1999 was lensed, while waiting to play a part in the Biff Mercury movie, which later became part of the ad for the 'new' Stingray.
Anyway, the ship used in the clips from Lizard's Lathe feature very heavy tanks that came for a scrap plastic pile in a nearby factory. That is one heavy model! so, with the Pilgrim kits at hand, I made a lighter weight probe, which you see here:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...999/PSQD2A.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...999Shelves.jpg
Amazingly, Tom Sassar has more than once said he really likes the model...which I take as an honor, considering the talent he has.
Anyway, the Observer is not only an amazing kit in many ways, but a fantastic source of parts. And, hey "Ultra Cool" is not copyrighted...
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

It may not be copyrighted, but I want to have a different title for my design since yours is already etched in UFO 1999 lore. I just want to keep that title a secret for now.

Quite a collection of craft you've got there, from Ultra Cool to what appears to be a normal Ultra probe (your creation or a James Small one?). I must say, you really had the art of making Anderson inspired designs down when you did those creations. Any closeups of that probe ship with yellow tanks sitting on the top shelf? It seems to have more a Meta probe vibe going with it as it is skinny compared to the others.