Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-12-2005, 11:09 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Hangar Floor Surfaces

Any tips or techniques you'd like to share on how to get the perfect looking hangar floor?

Do you use 'shop-bought' tiling? Photoshop?

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
doon
Communications Officer

I'm going to try bristol board, some scoring and my trusty badger 150.
I can cut the board to different sizes and make the tiling(spell check please) that way. I've used it before to build and entire n-scale church and railhouse, still straight and true after 4 years.
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

What tiling is this then? If you're talking about the apparent chequer board pattern on the floor of the 22" scale hangar, it's actually the shadow of the waffle pattern roof panels where the lighting is shining through. It's the same type of panels you often see in suspended office ceilings. The floor is smooth with markings painted or stuck on. Check out the publicity shots of the Kaldorian sleeper ship in the hangar and you can see it clearly. No point in making work for yourself.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 01:57 AM   #4
doon
Communications Officer

Oh No ,
Now the question is, optical illusion with airbrush, or lighting design
I think maybe I'll go as far as some large floor plates, roughly 2 eagles wide. I just got past the carpentry stage (thank God) and can now work in the warmth of indoors. Thanks for the info DX, must do massive research now to see where I'm going next. Truth be told, it will be a fusion of show look and artistic license (CHEATS )
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 02:05 AM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Most of the 44" scale stuff looks smooth in the show (no "tiling"). If you like the tiled look then go for it because at the end of the day, it's your model and you have to please yourself.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

When I look at the various images I spot all sorts of "busy" detail. Tape markings. Random squares of reddish paint. Dark panels. Smudges. Dirtying down.

So... since the SFX modelers didn't feel hesitant to throw in whatever looked good, I feel similarly inclinded.

In the same vein, I don't feel restricted to using only the scaffolding or the various machinary that was shown. As long as I follow the "day after tomorrow" technology look, I figure it's all good.

And the ceiling? How can you go wrong on the ceiling? Every time they showed it, the darn thing was changing. Even from shot to shot.

That's what makes 1999 projects so much fun. You've got a lot of license to use your imagination. The challenge is to make up new stuff, but have it look like it could have appeared in an episode.

That's one of the reasons I'm enjoying the "pod you like" contest. I'm in love with the fuel tanker that was submitted. I wish I'd thought of it.
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote