Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
CR
Science Officer

Default The Medusa Touch (1978)

The other night, MrsCR was scrolling through our tv channel guide on screen menu, and I saw the title The Medusa Touch.
"STOP!" I yelled. She obliged, wondering why I suddenly seemed to be going nuts. More nuts than usual, I mean. Anyway, I said, "Go back, to The Medusa Touch." She scrolled down. Sure enough, there it was. "Oh, wow, cool! This is tonight's menu? Record that!"
"OK," she said, her voice indicating that she probably didn't want to know why I was so excited. "Done."
"I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid. It's really good. It's about this guy who has psychic powers and can cause disasters."
She continued to scroll through the guide, not criticising me, but also not humouring me. She also probably wondered why I would find a film about anything psychic to be interesting.
"The boys might like it," I continued. "Well, it's British and from the 1970's, so they may find it a bit slow... but it's got a cool plane crash that I think Martin Bower may have had a hand in. He at least has pics of the special effects shots on his website. Or was that Phil Rae posting stuff on the forum?"
"If it's Space: 1999, I don't want to hear about it."
"The Medusa Touch? No, I was just making a connection to... oh, right, nevermind."

After nearly three decades, I had the pleasure of watching this film. I'd forgotten so much about it, but found it enjoyable still. It's more like a detective crime drama than the 'horror' category it's sometimes lumped into. 'Thriller' is more appropriate, though it is much more slowly paced than today's thrillers & action films.

Anyway, here are a couple links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Medusa_Touch_(film)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077921/
This review at allmovie sums up what I like about this film (may contain spoilers!): http://www.allmovie.com/work/the-med...h-32061/review

Some interesting spotting/connections:

First and foremost, in the opening scene involving a newscast of a space mission disaster, a tv shows a black and white photo of the space crew. They are all wearing S99 spacesuits and one holds an Alphan helmet! (This was mentioned by another forum member on another thread here at the ETF some time ago.)
The opening credits feature 'A Lew Grade Production' or 'Lew Grade Presents.' (I'm not able to go back and double check as I type this.)
An early scene has a secretary at a psychologist's office sitting on an Eames Group chair, which I always associaate with the Ultra Probe, but which had also been in Straker's office in UFO.
According to the IMDb, the jumbo jet that crashes was made by Space Models, and had originally been used in a travel office.

By the way, no offence intended about the "It's British..." comment; it's simply a statement of fact, in relation to the fact that my family has been raised not only on predominantly American film & tv, but contemporary American film & tv. Still, thanks to me, they've had a bit more exposure to both old & new British entertainment (not just S99) than pretty much everyone else in their age group in our city.

Finally, Martin Bower's site does NOT seem to have any pics from this film; I swear that's where I'd seen them on an old incarnation of the site (years ago), but I was either wrong, or the photos have been taken down. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited by CR; 29-03-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added links
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post

Finally, Martin Bower's site does NOT seem to have any pics from this film; I swear that's where I'd seen them on an old incarnation of the site (years ago), but I was either wrong, or the photos have been taken down. Sorry 'bout that.
You are not going mad CR, there defiantly were photos from the film on his web site some time ago. I do remember, kind of vaguely, him talking about sliding it down the wires and something happened when it blew up or did it fall off the wires first??? sorry, cant remember exactly, but it was there
Old 29-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

are these the ones? the poster is fur tree..lol!

that's martin on top of the ladder...i think he maybe had a hand in painting it as well?

phil
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

it's interesting that the book cover features Centre Point
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Reminds me of 9/11 Twin Towers.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Howard
Deputy Commander

Oh yes - great post CR!
I remember this movie as a kid - superb effects of course and a great ending.
I'd love to see it again and look out for the references you've mentioned!
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Seen it at least twice and it is really good - without the usual nice neat ending! Good science fiction.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Oh yes - great post CR!
I remember this movie as a kid - superb effects of course and a great ending.
I'd love to see it again and look out for the references you've mentioned!
There is a special edition DVD of The Medusa Touch with some good extras on the special effects. Martin Bower did remove the page a few days after the 9/11 attacks. If i remember correctly there was a disclaimer page explaining the reasons.
Also the the astronauts of Achilles 6 that are killed are wearing Moonbase Alpha spacesuits. Ther mission? to set up mans first permanant base on the moon. The film is set in 1978 and Alpha construction began in the early 1980s.
It all fits together very nicely.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
uncle bill
Astrophysics Technician

Default extras

Thank you, this thread brought back some very nice memories of my dating, in 1982, one of the actresses who was "killed" in the Westminster abbey scenes.
Bill

Last edited by uncle bill; 31-03-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo
uncle bill is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
healvis
Communications Officer

I watched this film in the big old cinema in Rhyll, It must have been around 79' as I had just left school and was working in Towyn on my first job. It was a very good film with Burton being very very tense. I miss RB.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bill View Post
Thank you, this thread brought back some very nice memories of my dating, in 1982, one of the actresses who was "killed" in the Westminster abbey sceans.
Bill
I could just imagine watching that scene with you: "Hey, is that her? In the red shirt? Oh, behind her, the other one, in the blue dress... OK then--oh! There, she just got squished!"
I'd forgotten about the page being removed from Martin's site due to sensitivity over the 9/11 attacks. At least I know I'm not crazy. (At least about that one fact, anyway.) Thanks, Phil, for posting those behind-the-scenes pics, and that book cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E
Also the the astronauts of Achilles 6 that are killed are wearing Moonbase Alpha spacesuits. Ther mission? to set up mans first permanant base on the moon. The film is set in 1978 and Alpha construction began in the early 1980s.
Oh, wow, I never thought about this actually fitting in with S99 continuity, but that's an awesome coincidence. Perhaps the events of the film are why in the years after, ESP studies were conducted and referred to later still in the S99 ep "The Lambda Factor." OK, I'm really reaching, but it's still a nifty coincidence!
I'm glad to see my post about this film has brought back a lot of good memories for others. I was, as I'd mentioned, surprised to see it broadcast, and am happy that I just happened to be in the room when MrsCR was scrolling through that guide. I shall try to find a DVD copy of this movie now, for the extras.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
Fascinating an accidental/unintentional prequel movie to Space:1999.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Martin Bower did do most of the modelwork for the spfx scenes
in The Medusa Touch,but it was really Brian Johnson himself who
directed and supervised the spfx sequence of the airliner crashing
into the apartment building in that scene.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote