Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Default The 1999 'Dragon ship' in ALIEN screentest clip

Just been watchin some youtube clips of Sigourney Weaver's screen tests for Alien, one where she's signing off at the end of the movie-and BLOW ME-the scene cuts to a panning shot of none other than the 'Dragon' ship from Dragon's Domain!

Anyone else caught this?
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

I think that is interesting since....
"DRAGON'S DOMAIN" must have inspired the movies ALIEN(1979) and ALIENS(1986), but just substituted Lt. Ripley for Tony Cellini?

"DRAGON'S DOMAIN" After escaping the Ultra Probe(creature onboard[after docking to the mentioned dragon ship]), sole survivor Cellini survives in Ultra Probe Command Module until he is recovered in his small craft, but nobody believes him about the creature or the fate of the crew. Cellini returns to Ultra Probe to confront the creature and prove it existed.

ALIEN(1979) After destructing the Nostromo, sole survivor Ripley(and cat) survives in Narcissus Shuttle until she is recovered in her small craft, but nobody believes her about the alien or the fate of the crew. Ripley returns(with the USCM) to confront the alien(aliens on original movie planet the Nostromo landed on) and prove it existed in ALIENS(1986).

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 21-03-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
I think that is interesting since....
"DRAGON'S DOMAIN" must have inspired the movies ALIEN(1979) and ALIENS(1986) just substituted Lt. Ripley for Tony Cellini?

"DRAGON'S DOMAIN" After escaping the Ultra Probe(creature onboard), Cellini survives in Ultra Probe Command Module until he is recovered..then returns to confront the monster and prove it existed.

ALIEN(1979) After destructing the Nostromo, Ripley survives in Narcissus Shuttle until she is recovered....then returns to confront the monster and prove it existed in ALIENS(1986).
Well what took S1999 to tell in 50 minutes took Hollywood several years, 2 films and 4 hours. More evidence of British superiority

Oh, hang on. Alien was a British film, and Alien3 was and that sucked.

S1999 2 Alliens 1
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

I found it beginning at the 3 minutes 7 seconds mark you will see the dragon ship model that the Ultra Probe was docked too:

Old 21-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
CR
Science Officer

What a nice beauty pass on that ship! Never saw it like that in S99. (And I paused on the clapperboard to verify that the ship footage was indeed made for Alien; it wasn't lost S99 footage spliced in.)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
alfalfa
Communications Officer

She took her top off
Old 21-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Doh! those editors!!!
Old 21-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

But seriously, always heard there was a 'love scene' with Rip and Dallas scripted, but never knew it was filmed-sort of. As I recall, the lovers would be interupted by Kanes body floating past out in space!!

By the way, arn't girls forward in the 23rd Century
Old 22-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
What a nice beauty pass on that ship! Never saw it like that in S99. (And I paused on the clapperboard to verify that the ship footage was indeed made for Alien; it wasn't lost S99 footage spliced in.)
You paused on the clapper board ?

Old 23-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #10
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
You paused on the clapper board ?

Wow, I just realised how dumb that sounded. (And yes, I did pause on the clapperboard. Sigh.)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #11
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Just shows that great (spaceship) models always look great!! She would have been stunning on screen!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Doomsday
Communications Officer

I'm surprised she got the job.
She forgot to "flip the switches" on the last take!!!!!!
Tut tut Sigourney....such a lack of professionalism will simply NOT be tolerated!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
shonokin
Life Support Technician

Ha! That's great! I suppose having Brian Johnson as VFX supervisor might've had something to do with this.

Interesting thinking about the interplay of the origins and possible influences of Dragon's Domain and Alien. Certainly Alien is basically a remake of It! Terror From Beyond Space ( 1958 ).

I've no idea if this is possible or probable but the basic concept of space travelers coming across a space graveyard which has a nasty tentacled alien at its center was a highlight in Edmond Hamilton's pulp novel CALLING CAPTAIN FUTURE (Spring 1940 issue). Maybe someone at S:1999 got an idea from that? I remember reading it and thinking "wow, this sounds an awful lot like Dragon's Domain!".

The Earthly analog predating Capt Future might be William Hope Hodgson's Sargasso Sea tales in which a sea vessel will come across the Sargasso ship graveyard where the hapless crew goes to investigate and gets clobbered by various super-sized octopi, crabs and tentacled monsters.

Last edited by shonokin; 23-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.
shonokin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Forgot to thank Stevie G for posting the youTube clip. And Blue Moon for bringing it up.

Never seen that before, and joking aside, it was really cool.
Old 23-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonokin View Post
Ha! That's great! I suppose having Brian Johnson as VFX supervisor might've had something to do with this.

Interesting thinking about the interplay of the origins and possible influences of Dragon's Domain and Alien. Certainly Alien is basically a remake of It! Terror From Beyond Space ( 1958 ).

I've no idea if this is possible or probable but the basic concept of space travelers coming across a space graveyard which has a nasty tentacled alien at its center was a highlight in Edmond Hamilton's pulp novel CALLING CAPTAIN FUTURE (Spring 1940 issue). Maybe someone at S:1999 got an idea from that? I remember reading it and thinking "wow, this sounds an awful lot like Dragon's Domain!".

The Earthly analog predating Capt Future might be William Hope Hodgson's Sargasso Sea tales in which a sea vessel will come across the Sargasso ship graveyard where the hapless crew goes to investigate and gets clobbered by various super-sized octopi, crabs and tentacled monsters.
shonokin, you are definitely correct about that. Is the plot similar in those earlier science-fiction works regarding a character like Cellini or Ripley and what they both endured too?

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 23-03-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: thoughts

Old 23-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #16
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
Forgot to thank Stevie G for posting the youTube clip. And Blue Moon for bringing it up.

Never seen that before, and joking aside, it was really cool.
Cool alfalfa, yes I agree, Blue Moon thanks for bringing it to all our attention.
Old 24-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #17
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

I do not believe that I had ever saw that test shot
involving the"Dragon's Ship"in that particular scene
in ALIEN.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
cytherians
Travel Tube Technician

Very cool! What a nifty choice of a ship for a screen test... very similar theme, of course. That Brian. I wonder, does he have it in his collection?
cytherians is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote