Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Closed Thread Bookmark and Share

Old 25-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Default Eagle 3 Photos and the Hovercraft Charity

Since everyone is keen to see photos of Eagle 3 before they die, I'm going to kill two birds with one stone. Below is a taster of some photos that I'm going to donate to the Hovercraft Museum to kick start this year's fundraising. These photos were taken in 1995 when I had the rarely seen model in my possession for some repair work. I'm posting scans of only some of my photographic prints here FOC as a taster but I'm going to be making far superior high resolution scans from the original negatives available on CD with all proceeds going to the forum charity with my blessing in a similar vein to last years disk. The photos show the original model with the lab pod and the replica spine booster shortly after Andy Hopkinson bought the model from Brian Johnson. The CD will include clean bright close up photos of the details and underside of the model easily sufficient to build a replica with all the original detailing. In addition I'll be looking to add some bonus material to the disk to increase it's appeal. Details on how to get the disk will be made available shortly once I know what they are. Meanwhile, with apologies to anyone still struggling on with dial up, a necessarily large collection of photos follows. Mark you may want to temporarily make this a sticky thread until we sort out a 'how to purchase' thread.

DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 25-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Just a few notes about the spine booster. The replica was commissioned by Andy Hopkinson when he bought the Eagle. My brief was to build what I knew was correct and with all the kit detail I knew to be correct. As you know, the spine booster was only ever seen from the left side so the right hand side was mirror imaged from the left. Having said that, Andy knowingly added some detail that he knew was incorrect (while I smiled through gritted teeth ) purely to fill in the blank spaces as he wasn't bothered about perfection, the result being a replica that is proportionally correct but with a few pieces imagineered into place. One of the extras on the disk will be a photo with the incorrect details pointed out and some reference photos showing the original.

... And I know someone is going to ask, most of the detailing comes from the Tamiya 1/25th scale Centurion with interior detail.

To be fair, the drawings I produce with Daniel are of the first 44" model. The third model in these photos has many different details so unless you're happy to crossbreed a hybrid, I wouldn't put my drawings forward as an accurate basis for a replica of the third model. Superficially of course, they are similar so depending on how anal you want to get, they might provide a starting off point for a good eyeball model. The basic dimensions are similar. The shoulder pods, legs and command module are very different and photos will be included which show this.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 27-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Info Calling Eagle 3, Come in Eagle 3....

I have no clue what is happening either. This is not my product although I fully support it, raising money for charity is always worthwhile.

w8cmp is leading this, any chance of an update please Chris?

The last one was at Christmas seven months ago, when there were scanning and image cleanup issues and a "package" redesign. If this is dead then I will close off the thread and we can move on.

The Model is currently owned by another forum member maybe he could do something along side this? You can never have enough images of any of the original Eagles. They are supermodels
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 27-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Howard
Deputy Commander

I haven't seen Chris around for a long time either - I hope he's okay.
I know he's a busy chap, so I guess that's just the case...
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 28-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I haven't seen Chris around for a long time either - I hope he's okay.
I know he's a busy chap, so I guess that's just the case...
He logged in today as he does most days, he has a very responsible job, busy doesn't even begin to cover it.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share

Old 28-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
w8cmp
Science Officer

Sorry guys - I just dip in now and again these days as time is a massive premium. I now have all the images and have 50 of the 100 discs pre-printed with logos with the other 50 coming.

The thing I'm stuck on are still the cases / covers as Mr H was doing it but is rarely here. Once I get those covers designed / printed and with me we can commence...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 28-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
w8cmp
Science Officer

Off to work now on the M25 widening. Today we have a meeting negotiating settlement of a 10m final account for our Earthworks subcontractor which will take about 3 hours of intense negotiation and bartering, the 2 hour project senior management meeting, some staff issues to sort with HR, a pre-meeting regarding a peer audit being carried out next week, and then I have to vet a pub as a potential venue for a director's meal to thank the staff. Won't be home much before 9pm tonight I think...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Closed Thread