Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 25-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #41
CR
Science Officer

Thanks for the link to those reference pics!

I love the Eagle parts used in the overhead crane; never noticed them before! (I'd seen Eagle parts in the LV426 colony in Aliens, though, so at least my Eagle spotting skills weren't completely bad.)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #42
Eaglelover
Computer Technician

Excellent Job!!
Eaglelover is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #43
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Well, except for some relatively minor weathering and some paint touchups, the Moonraker 6 stack, is done! I finished putting on the last of the decals on Saturday night (I may add a couple more on the backside of the SRBs, but everything I could find on the screen caps and wanted to apply is on there). So I now have a replica of one of Derek Meddings classics in my collection.

In this image, you can see the paint effects I did to the wings. I did a lot of things here, starting with tile panel lines that were drawn on with pencil. I faded them out (and the ones on the nose) with more flat white and mixed in a couple drops of flat aluminum in spots to give it some slightly off white paneling. Similar work was done to the orange panels. The streaks done to the RCC and additional wing panels were done with a mixture of Tamiya clear and smoke tint. I had to fade back some of the streaks as my mixture was a little too dark, but I finally managed to apply it properly when I got to the orange areas.

All the decals I used were ALPS printed. The number markings I am especially proud of. I printed them in a medium brown shade with no white backing and when I applied them to the orange areas, the color shifted just perfectly to the red/brown shade I was looking for!

This nose shot closely approximates a couple shots in the film. Only final touch I might add here would be some slight weathering to the RCS ports on the nose.

I got the major markings on by Friday morning, in time for a local screening of "The Spy Who Loved Me" with Richard Kiel making an appearance. My model club was asked to put on a display of Bond memorabilia and models and my Moonraker stack was the centerpiece of the model display. So, I felt it was appropriate to see what JAWS had to say about the model.

And finally we have a composite shot of my Moonraker 6 with the STS-117 stack I built for the SAC museum three years ago. Both kits were done from the Monogram Shuttle with Boosters kit and in both cases the kit served my purpose quite well. Now that the stack is being reissued this month, others can do models like this as well. As for Moonraker 6, you can see it at Wonderfest next weekend.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #44
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Excellent job !! The subtle weathering and differing hues across the panels really do bring this Moonraker to life ! It's been great to watch it all come together. Thanks for posting JMChladek !
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #45
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Nice work indeed, Jay. Your weathering effects look superb and I'm sure it was quite time consuming to get the right look.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #46
CR
Science Officer

That looks awesome, and what a great thing that "Jaws" himself got to see the model!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #47
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Default Shuttle Model with a twist (Moonraker Finished!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
Nice work indeed, Jay. Your weathering effects look superb and I'm sure it was quite time consuming to get the right look.

Keith
Thanks for the nice words guys! It was certainly a labour of love to get it done.

It certainly was very time consuming to get the right look as it took far longer than expected. I figure I probably put about 20 hours into the white paint effects on the orbiter, ET and SRBs alone over a two week period. Initially, I was hoping the penciled on tiles would do the job for the wings, but they ended up looking kind of smudgy. So I had to spray on some additional white to both fix the pencil lines into place and fade them back. The contrasting panels came next. My initial mixture of the smoke tint for the RCC and outer white tile wing panels was a little too strong for the white, so I again had to back that coloring off and I lost some of the pencil line definition there, but I think it improved the overall appearance of the model compared to what it was. So in a sense, it was a happy accident.

Only minor thing that bothers me a little is my positioning of the "Moonraker" titles on the sides of the orbiter sit a little too high up for the launch stack shuttle (too high if the model were displayed horizontal). When it came time to apply them, I could only find two of my printouts of the orbiters and I matched those positions. I have considered taking the markings off and reapplying them in slightly lower positions, but I almost had a disaster when I tried to do something similar with the Drax logo on the right wing as the decals are very thin and Microsol etches them into the paint to the point that the clear film almost completely dissolves once they are applied. So I guess I am stuck with that slight error for now as I don't want to have to repaint those side tiles anytime soon.

Maybe in a year or two I'll work up the nerve or the level of insanity to build the launch silo. Or not.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #48
NeoGoglu
Eagle Pilot

Awesome work and paint scheme, you're an artist !

So Revell/Monogram will release this kit at the end of the month ?

Hmmmmm, a must buy i think !
NeoGoglu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #49
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGoglu View Post
Awesome work and paint scheme, you're an artist !

So Revell/Monogram will release this kit at the end of the month ?

Hmmmmm, a must buy i think !
They are indeed:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAPEG
Old 12-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #50
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

BTW, I did some number crunching on how big the studio model was in the launch silo using the length of segments found on the Airfix Eagle spine. By my quick and dirty calculations, I came up with a scale of about 1/53, but more than likely, Meddings and his team built the parts to 1/48 scale. Of course, given the lack of definition in certain parts, such as the wings and tail (just paint to represent control surface splits) I am wondering if perhaps they got ahold of some shuttle sub-assemblies intended for those big 1/48 shuttle models displayed at NASA centers as opposed to scratchbuilding the parts themselves (at least for the ET and SRB sub-assemblies, but those could have been turned on a lathe easy enough)?

Old 16-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #51
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Well, a couple developments have occurred since I built this. First of all, I use the model as a feature for my first Youtube video (slight shaking is due to the fact that I didn't know how to work the gyro stabilization feature on the camera). I'm also doing a series of videos on the history of space shuttle model kits.

And secondly, I entered the model at the IPMS USA Nationals held here in Omaha over a week ago. In the Sci Fi vehicle category (where it was entered) it was split off into Star Wars, BSG and Star Trek vehicles and the second category was for all others. Well, I managed to get a third place in the all others category. I was pleasantly surprised by that since I knew where the flaws were on my build and I did managed to beat out some Maks 3000 Hasegawa Falkes in the process. The judges said my model was a very clean build. Needless to say, I am pretty happy with how things transpired, considering the Moonraker only got a Merit at Wonderfest.

So now that Moonraker has been retired from IPMS competition, I now have to do a new science fiction shuttle model. As such, I am thinking about taking my Churchill from Lifeforce project and upscaling it to 1/72 with a pair of Revell shuttles to get the proper length (and a 1/144 shuttle for the canard wings). But, I am NOT going to open the payload bay and unfurl the solar wings as that would be a bit too much of a headache. I've still got the 1/200 Churchill in my stash, so I may go back to finishing that up so I can display the pair together.
Old 16-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #52
WEAPON X
Chef

Brilliant effort on your Ranker Stack! Please review a 'PM' from me.
WEAPON X is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #53
crowe-t
Astrophysics Technician

Jay, Nice job on the videos. I'm looking forward to the next installment of the Space Shuttle model history.
crowe-t is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #54
LastBattlestar
Weapons Technician

I really like it Jay. The busy little decals really set it off- great job!

Mike
LastBattlestar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote