Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
birdie
Life Support Technician

Default Moonbase Alpha heavy weapons build project and ID help?

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time with something significant to post

I've been on something of a Space 1999 kick recently and have a number of projects planned, starting off with having a shot at the three heavy weapons used in the series - the armour piecing laser from Alpha Child and Last Sunset, the laser rifle seen in numerous episodes of both seasons, and the Rocket Gun from Season 2. Never one to do things by halves :lol

Some pics:

Armour Piercing laser:

Laser Rifle:

Rocket Gun:

I've managed to identify and pick up quite a few bits and pieces by obsessiveley scouring vintage photography shops and ebay.

The heavy laser and the laser rifle both utilise a Kaiser 6005 camera shoulder stock

The HL has two other grips, one on the bottom at the front which I haven't tracked down yet (I think it may be a classic car hand-brake grip or similar?) and one on the side. I managed to ID and purchase from an online shop, but don't have an actual make or model, there's nothing written on it.

I'm pretty sure the side scope is a monocular or telescope, I picked up this Swift Pistolzoom, the closest thing I could find

I'm fairly convinced that there are pieces of Airfix Saturn V in there, specifically the emiitter section under the acrylic cowl. I think the rear black section may well be part of the Saturn V fuselage, too.

The pistol grip on the rocket gun is a Paterson shutter release

I bought some aluminium tube for the HL body, and have cut down a piece of acrylic tube for the cowl.

I'd like to identify what was used as the receiver for the laser rifle. Maybe a toy gun of some kind?

The rear section of the rocket gun seems to be a plumbing bottle trap (:lol) but I can't find one that matches

A framesaw of some kind? Any thoughts?

birdie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
NeoGoglu
Eagle Pilot

I can't help but ... Eh ! awesome work so far !
NeoGoglu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Hi birdie

-nice work so far. The main body for the laser rifle was indeed a toy machine gun-a marx toy I think, I owned one as a kid but sadly disposed of it before I attempted my first serious build of a replica (on another thread somewhere) good luck in finding one, I like you tacked just about all the other parts, but never found the toy gun again, incidently the patterson shutter grip was also used on other props, the video camera from bringers of wonder and the injector gun in space warp.

Cheers,
Wayne
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
birdie
Life Support Technician

Thanks for the info

If anyone has any more info on the toy gun, I'd love to see what it looked like, even if I can't find one.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hi Birdie,

This is an interesting thread. The large handle pictured above looks like a wooden coat hanger to me tipped at 45 degrees with one leg shortened.

I seem to remember in the dim and distant past seeing a grip with a diamond stud pattern on a Webley air pistol (either a Tempest or Hurricane model) all the parts were available to buy as spares.

Not sure it will help but hope it does.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGoglu View Post
I can't help but ... Eh ! awesome work so far !
I can't help either, but welcome birdie and I am enjoying this weapons thread.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Nicc idea about the coathanger, Bernie, but I just don't see it.

Looking at the shape of the inner triangle of that part, the corner down at the 'free' end is a lot further away from the centre, and of smaller radius, than that of the end near the metal parts. So it was definately designed 'lop sided' as it were.

The brass inserts in both those handles make me think part of something comercially available, but I don't see it as a Bow Saw either. Those inserts are certainly nothing to do with holding a blade, and are inconsistent with having the blade where the metal strips are now.

Despite the negatives, I hope I have helped narrow down the search somewhat.

I can only add one more thing before ending. At the top of the 'coathanger' looking part there is a maker's mark, showing that this was injection plastic we are looking at, and it seems to be in a wood effect. If anyone has some decent software and can clarify the maker, you may be able to narrow down what the part is.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Last edited by Conrad Turner; 09-08-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
birdie
Life Support Technician

Unfortunateley I think it would take the magic of fictional CSA software to make out that trademark

The only other possibility I could come up with is some sort of 'shotgun' camera mount, but I've just been staring at too much vintage photograpy equipment
Old 10-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
Big Rab
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post

I'd like to identify what was used as the receiver for the laser rifle. Maybe a toy gun of some kind?

I am sure that I actually had that toy gun as a kid. When you pulled the trigger, a circular hoop of plastic (gold) bullets like an automatic feed that came out the top (where the over hang is shown with the fins) and looped around under it to come back in the other side.
I cant remember exactly but it might have had a couple of support legs that came down from the end of the barrel as well. . . . . . . . God, thats going back a few years now.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Big Rab, your spot on, it did have bullet belt loop and indeed had two fold down legs near the muzzle, it was blue in colour, with light brown shoulder stock. They cut it down from both ends for the prop. I could kick myself, cause as an early teen, I realised this was the gun they used on the prop, I even cut mine down correctl. Unfortunatly, I didn't know where to obtain the other parts back then (no internet!) and it got slung out if only I'd kept it.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
birdie
Life Support Technician

Well, I've been searching Ebay and Googling wildly, and haven't found anything yet!

There are modern toys with the belt feed and tripod, so I know the kind of thing we're looking for, the search continues!

Do you guys think the scope was part of the toy? It disappeared on the season 2 props for some reason.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

The scope was absolutely part of the toy the scope and the fold down legs were made of a softer plastic compared to the rest of the gun. I think it was based on the german second world war heavy machine gun-sorry don't know the model. In the photo posted by big Rab, the toy gun part looks unpainted!-Could be a trick of the light.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #13
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Well, simon! Long time no hear. Excellant project, do you have a uniform to go with it?

If you guys don't know him you're in for a real treat: His motion tracker from ALIEN is a work of art, really. Ask to see it, you'll be impressed.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 12-08-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rab View Post
I am sure that I actually had that toy gun as a kid. When you pulled the trigger, a circular hoop of plastic (gold) bullets like an automatic feed that came out the top
I think that Kapowwee has that toy...is this the one you mean?

http://www.kapowwe.com/images4/1-1-465_3.jpg

or http://www.kapowwe.com/8626.html

I have a feeling it's something like this though:
http://www.kapowwe.com/images/1-1-8.jpg

That square rear receiver with the ejection port on the wrong side says, 'toy thompson clone', to me.
I seem to remember having such a toy as a kid, you pulled back on the bolt and it cocked a spring which gave you a burst of 'rat-a-tat'. It had a red cylinder that went in and out of the muzzle at the same time. I seem to remember it was that color, too.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 12-08-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 17-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
birdie
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
Well, simon! Long time no hear. Excellant project, do you have a uniform to go with it?

If you guys don't know him you're in for a real treat: His motion tracker from ALIEN is a work of art, really. Ask to see it, you'll be impressed.
No uniform, no, flares never suited me

I managed to get stuck into the heavy laser last weekend. Lots of sawing, drilling, sanding, painting and glueing, but not really much in the way of scratch-building, as it looks like I'm going to have to do on the laser rifle and rocket gun.

Hope to be finished on the HL by the weekend. Some really exciting progress pics:

Old 17-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #16
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
No uniform, no, flares never suited me

>did you see the thread with the 1:1 main mission replica? Made me wish I had the outfit.

I managed to get stuck into the heavy laser last weekend. Lots of sawing, drilling, sanding, painting and glueing, but not really much in the way of scratch-building, as it looks like I'm going to have to do on the laser rifle and rocket gun.
You are fast, you are. Don't you worry about staining the carpet, though?

Did you ever figure out that casting issue with the VK machine?

Last edited by Ham Salad; 17-08-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 17-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #17
birdie
Life Support Technician

Quote:
You are fast, you are. Don't you worry about staining the carpet, though?
I didn't paint them there

The wife was away last weekend, so I used the opportunity to put some serious time in. Usually I have to sneak off while the soaps are on, or I get this:

Quote:
Did you ever figure out that casting issue with the VK machine?
No....

After my first shot at it, a bunch of new reference shots showed up at Propsummit. In another burst of activity I reworked the shape and built the small double screen section and the bellows.

I had planned to get it vacformed, but have come to the conclusion that the master probably wouldn't survive the process.

It's on the backburner again now, awaiting another surge of enthusiam to figure out the next step.
Old 17-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:

I had planned to get it vacformed, but have come to the conclusion that the master probably wouldn't survive the process.

It's on the backburner again now, awaiting another surge of enthusiam to figure out the next step.
Well, Vacform bucks pretty much have to be simplified and made with the process in mind...however, there are some here who have Vac machines, you might ask them what they think. Might be nearby you, too. The forum leader has one, and a lasercutter too: talk about posh, eh? If you can get him on board, the flat detail parts you might get him to do for you.

If you have to make new silicone moulds, that would be expensive.

I still think epoxy would be the best cast material for the main body; but since you already are familiar with fastcast urathane, you can add chopped fiberglass to that to make it stronger, so that might be the way to go for comfort's sake.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 17-08-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 22-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
birdie
Life Support Technician

The Destruction of the Astral Cleaning Company (Motto: 'In Space no-one can hear you clean') aboard the space dock, meant that the technical section on MBA was frequently a mess.

Old 23-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #20
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
The Destruction of the Astral Cleaning Company (Motto: 'In Space no-one can hear you clean') aboard the space dock, meant that the technical section on MBA was frequently a mess.

Why the eagles?