Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #41
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

It's an interesting list, and starts well, but seems to rely far too heavily on guess work. What evidence is there that Vault of Death was being extended so late in 65 for instance? You also load a fair amount into the back end of 65, but for no apparent explanation. Perhaps you need to cite reasons by each listing. For instance, you've put Edge of Impact down as June 65, but the hour script for it was ready in February.

As has been pointed out before, a production order for Thunderbirds is basically impossible - it's just all over the place. However, all new theories are good - it'd be fascinating to get together a proper diary! I just looked back at my original post and that's pretty much all guess work. The story is always evolving.

Last edited by Masterspy; 13-04-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #42
roose1982
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterspy View Post
It's an interesting list, and starts well, but seems to rely far too heavily on guess work. What evidence is there that Vault of Death was being extended so late in 65 for instance? You also load a fair amount into the back end of 65, but for no apparent explanation. Perhaps you need to cite reasons by each listing. For instance, you've put Edge of Impact down as June 65, but the hour script for it was ready in February.

As has been pointed out before, a production order for Thunderbirds is basically impossible - it's just all over the place. However, all new theories are good - it'd be fascinating to get together a proper diary! I just looked back at my original post and that's pretty much all guess work. The story is always evolving.
Admittedly much of it is guess work. I'm working on the logic that it would make sense for the puppet crews responsible for the half hours to work on the new scenes. In reality, probably didn't work out lol. It must have been one hell of a nightmare to try and work through.

Much of the dates are based on the recording schedule for Barry Gray's scoring, hence why I placed Vault of Death later in the production schedule. It could be simply the episode was completed much earlier, but the music wasn't composed until later in the schedule perhaps? Similarly, Edge of Impact was scored in June '65.

My thinking is, where possible, to put dates where i think episodes were completed, as it seems many episodes were months in production - as has been said in previous posts, there is the writing of the scripts, recording of the dialogue, shooting on the puppet stages, model and effects work, editing and scoring.

I'm also assuming episodes were edited first, and the music scored to fit the visuals - rather than recording the music first, and editing it to fit the music.

I'll have another ponder tonight, but as I say, I welcome any comments as its all really guess work.

BTW do we know where the evidence is for the March 3rd commencement date for beginning of series 2, and where is it stated that by September 65 there were 17 completed episodes?

Also, I know others have done a lot more research into this than myself... could someone in-the-know perhaps hightlight things in my original post that are known facts, and what is debatable? That would certainly be useful.

Cheers

Ross

PS - the recording dates for Barry Gray are listed in the CD soundtrack sleeves, plus I found a detailed list on this website:-
http://lester.demon.nl/superm/frameset/frames.html
(click under Personnel, Barry Gray, Studio Schedule).
roose1982 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #43
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Mary Turners unit did Operation Crash Dive not Christine Glanville's
JimTVFan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #44
roose1982
Alphan

Eagerly awaiting to hearback from Masterspy, following a tweet yesterday which read : "Finally a definitive TV production order source"

In the meantime, i came across this site which list a different production order, one i havent seen before

http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Thunderbirds%20Timeline.htm

Ross
roose1982 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #45
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Fascinating....

I had little understanding of how the production teams were organised. This is immensely interesting.

If we could gather the data and link to approximate dates I will have it produced as a timeline graphic. I find these are easier to understand too.

We have talked in the past about the activities within Century 21 at the Slough studios. I said at the time that I wanted to scrutinise, understand and record as much information as possible from the time the doors opened to their closure.

Anything that could help us do this is brilliant!

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #46
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Ive also read somewhere that Alan Pattillo might have originally done End of the Road as well as David Lane. I also found a behind the scenes picture of The Duchess Assignment.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #47
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Forgive me if someone has noted it already, but that set that appears in The Making of Thunderbirds that everyone seems to have had trouble identifying... It's the London Control Tower from Edge of Impact, filmed at a different angle. But everything is there - the blue doors, the big map and even the angled windows that they film Casey and Norman looking through.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #48
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Nice one it's bugged me for years what set it is because it did not feature in 30 Minutes After Noon. You can also see Scott on the set with Virgil and John. Do you reckon that Desperate Intruder would have als been in production on Mary's stage?
Old 21-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #49
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by roose1982 View Post
OK.... so i know this has been going on for a while, so here's my two pence worth...

Incidently, my sources of info are:-
Known Recording dates for scores by Barry Gray for THUNDERBIRDS (as in the CD sleeves for the soundtrack CD's)
Original broadcast order (seems obvious, but episodes would have had to have been completed before they could first be broadcast lol!)
Article printed in The Times in Feb 1966
Couple of FAB Magazines
Complete Thunderbirds Book
What Made Thunderbirds Go
Various threads on this forum and on Fandersons forum.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Production of the half hour episodes commenced around September 1964, with the team split as follows:-
Christine Glanville’s Puppet Unit
1 TRAPPED IN THE SKY
4 SUN PROBE
6 THE MIGHTY ATOM
9 MOVE - AND YOU'RE DEAD

Mary Turner’s Puppet Unit
2 PIT OF PERIL
3 CITY OF FIRE
5 THE UNINVITED
7 VAULT OF DEATH

The first music score composed by Barry Gray was recorded on 8th December 1964. A cut of TRAPPED IN THE SKY was shown to Lew Grade soon after, who then ordered the episodes to be doubled in length to one hour shows. Alan Pattillo was in the middle of shooting MOVE – AND YOU’RE DEAD when he received news that the scripts would need to be expanded, and new footage would need to be shot.

In January 1965, it is likely the production team completed work on the half hour MOVE – AND YOU’RE DEAD, and began shooting OPERATION CRASH-DIVE. It would seem logical that this would have been shot as a full hour, alongside new scenes to extend TRAPPED IN THE SKY to one hour. As this episode was designed to be a sequel to the pilot, the same guest characters, models and sets are used.

Although MARTIAN INVASION (10) and BRINK OF DISASTER (11) were the next episodes to be produced, it has been suggested that these episodes were held back until later in the production schedule due to the look of the puppets used in these episodes and the techniques used. The fact that these two episodes were first broadcast later in the initial first series run, would seem to support this theory.

Therefore, the next hour episode to be produced was THE PERILS OF PENELOPE (12) with Christine Glanville’s puppet unit. Again, it would seem logical that this episode was filmed alongside new scenes for SUN PROBE (4), which Christine’s team had previously worked on to produce the half hour episode. The Sun Probe itself was included in scenes for THE PERILS OF PENELOPE. Barry Gray’s score for this episode was recorded on 18th March 1965, with some of the score also appearing in SUN PROBE.

Meanwhile, Mary Turner’s puppet unit began work on the hour long version of TERROR IN NEW YORK CITY (13) and additional scenes for PIT OF PERIL (02). Mary’s team had previously completed PIT OF PERIL as a half hour episode. Two recording sessions were scheduled by Barry Gray in April 1965 to record musical scores for these episodes.

Using this logic, one can assume that over the course of the first six months of 1965, the two puppet units each produced a complete new hour long episode, followed by new additional scenes to extend the already completed half hour episodes. Barry Gray’s recording schedule appears to support this theory, with musical scores being recorded mostly for the new hour long episodes, and library music for the episodes that were originally half hour shows. Assuming this is true, the production schedule may have looked like this:-

1 TRAPPED IN THE SKY and 8 OPERATION CRASH-DIVE (Jan/Feb 1965)
12 THE PERILS OF PENELOPE and 4 SUN PROBE (March 1965)
14 END OF THE ROAD and 6 THE MIGHTY ATOM (May 1965)
16 THE EDGE OF IMPACT and 9 MOVE - AND YOU'RE DEAD (June 1965)

13 TERROR IN NEW YORK CITY and 2 PIT OF PERIL (April 1965)
15 DAY OF DISASTER and 3 CITY OF FIRE (May 1965)
17 DESPERATE INTRUDER and 5 THE UNINVITED (July 1965)

Having now caught up on expanding the original half hour shows, production continued through the summer as follows:-

18 THIRTY MINUTES AFTER NOON (August 1965)
11 BRINK OF DISASTER (September 1965)

10 MARTIAN INVASION (August 1965)

By September 1965, it was reported (source anyone?) that 17 episodes had been completed and were ready for broadcast. As the production team worked on the remaining nine episodes, the series began to premiere on British television, beginning on 30th September 1965 in the ATV Midlands region.

Production continued until early 1966, with each until completing one episode per month as follows:-

19 THE IMPOSTERS (November 1965)
21 CRY WOLF (December 1965)
24 ATTACK OF THE ALLIGATORS! (December 1965)
25 THE CHAM-CHAM (January 1966)

23 THE DUCHESS ASSIGNMENT (September 1965)
7 VAULT OF DEATH (October 1965 - the last of the 30 min episodes to be extended)
22 DANGER AT OCEAN DEEP (November 1965)
20 THE MAN FROM M.I.5 (December 1965)
26 SECURITY HAZARD (December 1965)

On February 14 1966, The Times newspaper announced that a Thunderbirds feature film was in production, and an additional six episodes had been commissioned by Lew Grade in addition to the 26 episodes already completed.

Production commenced on 3rd March 1966 on the second series of THUNDERBIRDS, and the feature film THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO.

27 ATLANTIC INFERNO (March 1966)
28 PATH OF DESTRUCTION (April 1966)
29 ALIAS MR. HACKENBACKER (May 1966)
30 LORD PARKER'S 'OLIDAY (June 1966)

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO (March – June 1966, music score Oct 1966)

31 RICOCHET (July 1966)
32 GIVE OR TAKE A MILLION (July 1966)

In the Autumn of 1966, pre-production commenced on the next Gerry Anderson television series, CAPTAIN SCARLET AND THE MYSTERONS. Shooting for the new series began in January 1967. The second THUNDERBIRDS feature film, THUNDERBIRD SIX, began production on 1 May 1967, alongside production of the remaining episodes of CAPTAIN SCARLET. The film was completed in February 1968, and released in late July 1968.
I think that the source you got in from might have given out an order of what they thought might be right.

For example you put The Duchess Assignment in front Danger at Ocean Deep The Duchess Assignment was definatly filmed in November 1965 as i found a picture with Bob Bell on the set of Wilbur Dangridge's Office dated 2nd November 65.

30 Minutes After Noon has to be filmed after Day of Disaster as in the Making of Thunderbirds video Derek Meddings and the Effects team are filming the Allington Suspension Bridge scene and David Elliott directed both episodes also the set for London Control Tower from Edge of Impact is still up so i guess that they were about to start 30 Minutes as you can see Tom Prescott with The Tracy Family Penelope Parker and Brains in the video just before it moves to the set with Scott Virgil and John on.

I think Ricochet might be the last episode filmed as Paddy Seale and Alan Perry get credited so i reckon Thunderbirds are Go had just completed at the time