Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #101
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #102
CR
Science Officer

Steve, you used the smilie regarding the volcanoes of Psychon, relating to the discussion we started on the previous page. If you're wondering what we're getting at (and as I said, it took me a few reads to get it), we're asserting that the volcanoes on Psychon do not look real at all, and are as good as some science fair projects with plaster cones & vinegar/baking soda 'lava' that local school kids have made over the decades.

Not trying to get the Space: 2099 haters upset, but one thing Eric Bernard really got right with his remasters was using REAL volcano footage (with the Eagle & the Psychon ball of light added in). Nothing looks like a volcano better than the real thing, and the shots he chose were not only spectacular, but eerie, alien... even though I knew they had all been filmed right here on Earth.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #103
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Steve, you used the smilie regarding the volcanoes of Psychon, relating to the discussion we started on the previous page. If you're wondering what we're getting at (and as I said, it took me a few reads to get it), we're asserting that the volcanoes on Psychon do not look real at all, and are as good as some science fair projects with plaster cones & vinegar/baking soda 'lava' that local school kids have made over the decades.

Not trying to get the Space: 2099 haters upset, but one thing Eric Bernard really got right with his remasters was using REAL volcano footage (with the Eagle & the Psychon ball of light added in). Nothing looks like a volcano better than the real thing, and the shots he chose were not only spectacular, but eerie, alien... even though I knew they had all been filmed right here on Earth.
CR, I see what you mean Space:2099 real volcano footage is impressive and adds so very much replacing the 'fake' miniature volcanoes. I guess back in 1976 they did not consider using any color real volcano footage.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #104
CR
Science Officer

I'd say that colour volcano footage back then was nowhere near as good as what we've seen over the past decade or so... cameras just weren't portable nor durable enough to get too close to the action, and telephoto resolution wasn't as crystal clear as what we see nowdays. Film stock (that could withstand high temperatures) was, I suspect, another limiting factor. And, I suppose, there just weren't as many people out there getting the footage, nor making it available to the public domain.
Better to make a volcano set with weather & lighting all controlled, and no heat other than the studio lighting and pyrotechnics. Rather than risking getting consumed by heat, gasses or molten lava, the SFX gang just had to worry about blowing off fingers or catching fire from sparks gone astray!
(Still, I wish they could have made it look a little more realistic... look at what had been done in the previous decade in the volcano films The Devil at Four O'clock or Krakatoa, East of Java.)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #105
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

I am trying to remember if Irwin Allen inserted real colour volcano footage (probably from the 20th Century Fox stock film library) into episodes of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea('65-'68 Flying Sub flying over an island episode) and Lost In Space episode(maybe "Space Primevals")?

Old 13-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #106
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Good points well made, but I suspect time constraints and budget played a large part in the results we saw (If interviws with the effects team are to be believed)
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #107
shadokp
Travel Tube Technician

I think it is jarring to see real nuclear explosions in the episode "Wargames." To me it is obvious that is stock footage. I think the same would have been if they used real footage of volcanoes.

With that said, how do we know what volcanoes look like on Psychon? Maybe that is what they look like - it is an alien world and not everything needs to look like what we see on Earth.

KP
shadokp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #108
Keith Young
Medical Technician

All I have to say is that ALL OF YOU MUST BE DRUNK ON TONY'S BEER! LMAO! being a YR1 fan I have to admit YR 2 had some great stuff and moments I would have loved to have seen some Alphans during their off duty periods just wearing casual clothes like jeans. They have shorts, tank tops, swim suits, pajamas, snow suits, evening gowns, several different style shoes, jackets, coffee and beer. Why not jeans? I'd hate to wear that uniform all the friggin time.

Last edited by Keith Young; 31-07-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Keith Young is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #109
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Y1 was was Chateau Rothschild.
Y2 was Chateau Sweat Socks.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #110
Gerry Anderson Fan
Geological Technician

I do prefer the first season but I will still get the second season blu ray when it arrives,the two part Bringers of Wonder is my favourite of the second batch.
Gerry Anderson Fan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #111
MADsen
Eagle Pilot

Thumbs up Season 1 is still better than season 2...

All of Space 1999 is good...

But my top favorite will always be Season 1.... No question about that..
MADsen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #112
koenigeyecandy
Waste Technician

Default The men Alphans pants (all that jiggles)

I loved the tight fitting pants in both season 1 and 2..but it is not until I saw the evil reflection Koenig in Seed of Distruction that made me watch both season 1 and 2 over and over again ....The reason I love those pants In Seed of distruction just rewind when the evil john steps out of the Mirror and you see what I mean...love me some John Koenig

Tony in Dragon Domain was another evident of how tight fitting the men pants were..rewind when Tony was calulating after 8 years by himself in the life shuttle after escaping the fate his Crew went through and he was about to sit down..I say the mens pants was snugglly fit in both episodes that's why I watch and er for the stories too....in more seriousness I loved season 1..I don't know I love Victor love love love him. ..he was sorely missesd in the 2nd season John did not have someone to talk to in confidence..it made John human to ask why what ..and why not even if at the end he makes the decisions.....Season 2 had some good episodes it was just the writing was so bad in some of the episodes...they writers madethe characters human..relationships etc...but the producers/ TPTB didn't give it enough time to grow..Season 2 you could tell when someone was not on one show like John..where in the world can he actually go that he is not shown for a whole episode??? Like The Dorzak episode and they really didn't explain why he was missing..or what happened to Paul or Alan which Dorzak was the last episode Alan was last on .....then Tony disappeared..it was amazing that the crew that was left still thought that there could be a season 3..everyone was gone except John ,Helena (and she proberly wouldn't have done the 3rd because of her marital problems with her soon divorced husband Mr Landau) Ms Shell would proberly had stayed and Sandra that was all that was left .... and maybe if there were a season 3 with Tony and Helena gone John and Maya proberly would have been a couple on the show they had chemistry...but anyway season one I loved it...season 2 just too much changes without any explanation on what happened to people like Mr Morse (Victor)... season Two We never reallyget to know Maya it was only in the epiosde The rules of Luton you learned something and even Koenig past..it was nice to know about people history (I remember in a long ago interview with Martin Landau and he was asking the producer/writers what about their ncharacters what makes them tick and all the person would say how do you love the uniforms..I guess Mr Landau got his answer they were under developed...... were did Tony come from he was cute but he just popped up out of no where was he all this time???..the chemistry between Helena and John was there you can see it, but they rammed the romance to fast...so we went from season 1 were they barely touch to touchy kissy all over when slowly going into the romance was the answer let us care what happens to them they post to have known each other before he became commander of Alpha why didn't they explore that??? the writers were going to fast to let everyone catch up....then they ripped off the tires and gave us all new characters what happen to paul, Alan , Tony by the end of season 2??? all you saw was unknown faces , there were nothing left..there were some good episodes in season 2 don't get me wrong....but season 1 was my favorite...The snuggly pants first ..lol season 1 second and then Seed of distruction 3rd lol

Last edited by koenigeyecandy; 08-10-2011 at 09:32 PM.
koenigeyecandy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #113
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Well I have to say, after watchin clips of blakes 7 on youtube the other day (which I totally loved when I was a kid) it makes season 2 of Space, look like oscar material So don't judge it too harshly, cause most sci-fi from the seventies has aged far worse.
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #114
koenigeyecandy
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
Well I have to say, after watchin clips of blakes 7 on youtube the other day (which I totally loved when I was a kid) it makes season 2 of Space, look like oscar material So don't judge it too harshly, cause most sci-fi from the seventies has aged far worse.
I agree ....I am watching space 1999 over again and I can't get enough of it..lol maybe I had a teen crush on John Koenig anyway there was a 70's cop show which was my favorite of all time I had a crush on one of them..that I drew him off a puzzle and with that drawing I got into art school I was 12....Now I am a Art teacher lol and then the show came back on a retro TV channel and I couldn't hardly wait to see my pre-teen show again after all these years and I couldn't stomach anymore than 4 episodes I can't watch it the acting was sooo bad but in the 70's show Starky and Hutch... but Space 1999 I watch several episodes aday and I love it...no 70's acting was bad...but someshows were good with it...Space 1999..my all time favorite Sci-fi show

Last edited by koenigeyecandy; 11-10-2011 at 11:05 PM.
koenigeyecandy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote