Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #81
Doomsday
Communications Officer
 
Doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dundee
Posts: 992
Default

Thank the gods that Alfalfa is as daft as me.
I thought I was the only one that flew the Orion backwards!!


http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #82
alfalfa
Communications Officer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
Thank the gods that Alfalfa is as daft as me.
I thought I was the only one that flew the Orion backwards!!


http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/
It is interesting that Known Space puts the rear view up first in the last page is it not?

I do often wonder if the backend of the Orion was the inspiration for the S1999 earth craft CM.

It certainly photographs better from that angle, and the wings look as though they could take weapons
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #83
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot
 
Richard Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Warrior, Alabama
Posts: 539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
It is interesting that Known Space puts the rear view up first in the last page is it not?

I do often wonder if the backend of the Orion was the inspiration for the S1999 earth craft CM.

It certainly photographs better from that angle, and the wings look as though they could take weapons
I am trying to find the image referenced, but there are 45 pages of photos on that link...
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #84
JWLaRue
Alphan
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Default Looking for Orion 'blueprints'

...just found this forum and the Orion thread.....

I'm looking to start a project to build an Orion spaceplane as a working model that would be run in a pool.....think of it as flying in dense air.

While I have the Filming the Future book, I have been unable to find any kind of dimensioned drawings (or drawings of any kind) that I can use to build one an Orion. Can someone point me in the right direction or possibly even help me directly?

-tnx,

Jeff
JWLaRue is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #85
LeonArtO3D
Waste Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10
Default Orion Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
...just found this forum and the Orion thread.....

I'm looking to start a project to build an Orion spaceplane as a working model that would be run in a pool.....think of it as flying in dense air.

While I have the Filming the Future book, I have been unable to find any kind of dimensioned drawings (or drawing soy any kind) that I can use to build one an Orion. Can someone point me in the right direction or possibly even help me directly?

-tnx,

Jeff
Have you checked this out? http://forums.luxology.com/discussio...d=50208&page=0
LeonArtO3D is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #86
JWLaRue
Alphan
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Hi Leon,

Great site! Lots of good renderings to study. While helpful, it doesn't seem to provide me a means to get the information that I need to actually build one of these. While I have AutoCAD, I don't have any 3D rendering software, so I can only gaze wistfully at all the great work you and others are doing.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #87
LeonArtO3D
Waste Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Hi Leon,

Great site! Lots of good renderings to study. While helpful, it doesn't seem to provide me a means to get the information that I need to actually build one of these. While I have AutoCAD, I don't have any 3D rendering software, so I can only gaze wistfully at all the great work you and others are doing.

-Jeff
AutoCAD has a built in render engine. Are you talking about building a physical model or building a virtual 3D model of Orion, or both? Are you talking about creating a 3D model that you can then use to create an actual physical model, like a CRC machine?
LeonArtO3D is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 04:14 AM   #88
JWLaRue
Alphan
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Leon,

Yup, a physical model. My goal is to build a one-off model and to get it to be a working model to be run in a pool......flying in the water. (I build r/c submarines, so it's somewhat similar. )

I hadn't considered having the basic parts cut on a CNC machine, but that would be an option assuming that I can get something into AutoCAD that gives me the set of cross sections, etc.

Speaking of AutoCAD....yes it can do 3D, but if possible I'd like to be able to leverage some of the excellent work done by others so that I can start building the physical model sooner rather than later. I don't really have an interest in creating a(nother) 3D rendering....especially after seeing the outstanding work done by others!

-tnx,

Jeff

Last edited by JWLaRue; 22-11-2011 at 04:15 AM. Reason: ...stupid typos!
JWLaRue is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #89
LeonArtO3D
Waste Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Jeff,

That sounds like a cool project. Unfortunately, my drawings are way too incomplete so far. I lack viable images of Orions bottom and hope to have the Book soon, which should get me going again. Can't make sections w/o the bottom, 'less you want to fake it like some others have done.

Leon
LeonArtO3D is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #90
JWLaRue
Alphan
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Leon,

Well.....to construct the model, I do not need the surface details that are normally contained in the various surface maps. The various renderings that I see, like yours, have all the detail that I would need since you have all the major, gross scale shapes rendered.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com