Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #41
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

Franz Bolo: Thank you.

Dave: Thank you for your kind sentiments. I agree, the wheels are the greatest challenge so far on my U59 build.

Anyway, I finished having a trial run with some RTV rubber and this is how that practice out with some B-58 engine parts.

Becco_UK is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #42
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

So, back to the wheels. The first thing was to get some accurate measurements of my joined wheel halves.

Those measurements were used to construct a simple 3D model (from splines) to include a curved tread surface.

The 3D shape was printed out and used to make a shaped filler spreader out of some scrap plastic. The spreader rests nicely on the '37mm ridges' shown in the measurement photo'.

See if it works tomorrow when the filler gets applied.
Old 30-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #43
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

So, with the new spreader ready and waiting for some action I masked the wheel sidewheels to keep filler from messing up the 'Johnny Express' writing.

First layer of filler added - the 1st one always looks rough!

A further 3 coats of filler and this is how the U59 wheel is at present. Printed out a reference photo' just to get a visual feel for the tread cutting. The print out also saves me going backwards and forwards to my computer too much.

So far, this 'new' wheel generally looks to be an improvement on my 2009 effort and is at the same construction point as when the U59 was put away :-(

Last edited by Becco_UK; 30-11-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #44
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

Marking out the tread patterns gets done - couldn't get an accurate angle from screen grabs so I went for 'a best guess' and in the end opted to simply join corners as shown with the orange dashed line. What most screen grabs indicate is that the outer surface tread is about twice as long as the bit of tread on the sidewalls (does that make sense?) So I went with 12mm as shown by the solid red lines. The red blobs are marker pen just to remind me what has to be cut away.

So with the marking out done, the wheel was cut in half all ready for daylight to come when the tread pattern can be cut (I struggle to do this sort of work in artificial lighting). So far so good with the U59 wheel. See how tomorrow goes!

nb:I used a cheap and chearful razor saw to cut the wheel. It's not very suitable for 'heavy' useage but it has a nice thin blade so very little material was removed from the wheel. My Tamiya razor saw would have taken away twice as much material.

Last edited by Becco_UK; 03-12-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #45
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

I have the 'U59' notebook from August/September 2009! All very rough and ready but could be tidied up into workable drawings to supplement the plans in another thread. For plastic templates to be made a few parts were printed from my 3D model ie: the top view of the front corner curve. I recall saving that printout in a box somewhere. If I do get a set of U59 drawings together it will be on the understanding that the actual model will be completed first and that the cab is perhaps a bit too long.

Last edited by Becco_UK; 02-12-2011 at 10:35 PM.