Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
EddieL
Computer Technician

Default 7 TV scientists that even real scientists approve of

I have always liked Phil Plait, but now I think he is stellar!

See his recent article.

A nice surpise indeed.

Cheers
Eddie
EddieL is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
NeoGoglu
Eagle Pilot

Cool ! Thansk for sharing !
NeoGoglu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
I have always liked Phil Plait, but now I think he is stellar!

See his recent article.

A nice surpise indeed.

Cheers
Eddie
Couldn't agree more!!

#1 is a bit of a shocker, but I love it!

Thanks for posting
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Helder Crespo
Life Support Technician

I have the same opinion regarding Victor. No other tv/film scientist had quite the same impact on me, not even Doc Brown (I was older though - weren't we all?)
Thanks for sharing this.
Helder Crespo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Cellini
Geological Technician

I read the article. Thank you for sharing it. Bergman is probably the most "human" of the lot: no technobabble, no strange theories out of nowhere, no special gadget to save the day. When he explains to John Koenig that "when the two moons collide time will correct itself" you really feel that he got to that conclusion after years of study. The other Bergman, on the Moonbase, in fact, doesn't have a clue.
Kudos to the scriptwriters and to Barry Morse.
Cellini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

That actually was a pretty good list. I agree with his placing of Carter and McKay from Stargate on it as well. But I had to think about Victor when I read it. You know, he's right on. A scientist who says "I don't know, but I'll try to find out" I find much more interesting than one who tries to bluff his way out by putting fourth some theory without data to back it up.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMChladek View Post
That actually was a pretty good list. I agree with his placing of Carter and McKay from Stargate on it as well. But I had to think about Victor when I read it. You know, he's right on. A scientist who says "I don't know, but I'll try to find out" I find much more interesting than one who tries to bluff his way out by putting fourth some theory without data to back it up.
I much prefer a script that includes characters who answer with "I don't know" than "I have a theory that the radiation made the grasshoppers grow SO big". It gives a better measure of the person and humanises the character more as there seems to be difficult work ahead that needs skill and dedication to resolve the problem. It also provides an opportunity to learn something, which is the basis of good science after all.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Howard
Deputy Commander

McKay really rubs me up the wrong way, and always has from the onset.
A character that really deserved a good back hander from the majority of characters he interacted with. Just being 'brilliant' isn't good enough. Then again, most of the Atlantis crowd left me cold.
I don't really see Spock as a 'scientist' - as most of Trek's TOS had him on the opposite side of Kirk's intuition, best guesses and typical human emotional responses. He was there to provide info a lot of the time so other characters could act upon it. More of a science officer, relaying readings from equipment to serve the story with progression for the benefit of the whole. His Vulcan side was developed far more than his scientific side.
I would have picked Sheldon Cooper from the big bang, but that's just because he's such a brilliant character all round, with so many traits (most of which are disfunctional and serve the comedy so well) akin to obsessive scientists - a kind of mobile Hawking with ocd.
Victor is the perfect example of a 'human' character, and by that I mean (which has been mentioned above) real. He's your uncle, your grandad - able to communicate ideas and theories on a level playing field. Hugely underplayed to perfection.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

"...And my Number One Pick for Best TV Scientist of All Time: Victor Bergman (Space:1999)".

Nice recognition.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
CR
Science Officer

I forgot to reply on this thread, but I did reply on the BadAstronomy thread. Hooray for Victor Bergman, for all the reasons cited!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
darren r
Chef

In Force of Life, Koenig asks Victor what he thinks of some phenomenon. His reply?

"Not much."

Brilliant!
darren r is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #12
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

The thing about McKay I like though is his character did manage to evolve a human side the more he was on Atlantis. Early on as an SG-1 guest role, the McKay character was VERY unlikeable. Remember when Carter told him to "Go suck a lemon" after some heated exchange and he mentioned his citris allergy. I felt it rather unusual when they put the character on the Atlantis expedition. But seeing Rodney having to encounter the consequences of bad decisions and do his occassional "Oh CRAP!" is rather funny. Of course you've got Shepherd to give him his own form of Gibbs slap upside the head verbally from time to time (NCIS reference). He makes mistakes like everyone else and learns from them, yet still manages to keep the smug ego persona for all the rest to see.

He is just annoying enough to be watchable without being somebody you want to shoot, at least IMHO.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Howard
Deputy Commander

Love the Gibbs reference - ("Ya think so, proby?")
Rodney? To be honest, I would have shot him, that, or found out exactly what his citrus allergy did to him.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
gwent
Computer Technician

I found that very interesting and amusing to read. It demonstrates a great point regarding the character changes between year 1 and year 2. Victor Bergman was a character written and performed so strongly that it literally inspired young viewers. So Freddy Freiberger comes on board and what is one of the first things he does? Eliminates one of the best and beloved characters from year 1! I do love Maya and I enjoyed Tony's character as well, but they were not inspiring characters like Victor was.

Last edited by gwent; 10-07-2011 at 01:38 PM.
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Anyone notice, how in GOP, even while under the Guardian's influence, Bergman picks up and studies one of the spheres that litter the place? Even then, the scientist was still operation.
Kudos, Mr. Bergman.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Dash9
Waste Technician

Couldn't agree more with the number 1 spot (eh eh). And even more interesting is that the list was written by my favorite astronomer.
Dash9 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Hey, Mc Kay should have rated higher than carter: it's harder to stand out when you are not hot. Further, he did something that carter did not: gave the show a touch of realistic perspective. It's a common trap in SF shows to have characters that are so capable they can handle anything...that's something you don't see in the real world. Mc kay leavened his smart and competence with reactions a normal person would have...and I'll bet the author of the article, calling him a coward, would have filled his pants if he were faced with what 'ol Rod had to deal with. Remember, it's not a brave man who has no fear...it's a stupid one. McKay wasn't stupid. They even had an episode that pointed this out: Rod got the heroic painting and the acclaim, not because he wasn't sacred but because he acted heroically even though he WAS scared...and complained the whole time. In reality, you don't get points knocked off for complaining, it's what you accomplish that matters.

Also, good for picking Bergmann, he was always great, the most human character in the show.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote