Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Dr Who

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Default Need Cyberman info

Hello all! I know there are a lot of hidden gems of info hiding amongst you...

Have recently aquired an earthshock type cyberman head and ECU. Does anyone have any information about what was used / parts sources for the rest of the suit? In particular, the boots and gloves used, the little junction boxes on the suit /tubing, and a source for a cyber gun?

Those of you worried about backlash from cybergun making please PM me.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Here's some info to start you off in the right direction:

Suit - this is an "air ventilated suit" used by pilots, and as the name suggests, hot or cooled air could be pumped through the attached tubing. The Cybermen actually wear the suit backwards!! I have attached an image of the suit in its original state. A slight problem - I don't think these are made any more, and as such are quite rare. When they do appear, they generally go for approximately £400 - £600, about US$1000!! I have seen replica suits made from latex castings applied to boiler suits, they are a good alternative.

Boots - The original boots worn in "Earthshock" were "moon boot" style après-ski boots made by Bonis - handy link to some very good images here.

Cybergun - a lot of it is made from EMA (or Plastruct in the USA) bits, the main exception that springs to mind is the big ribbed part near the front, which is actually a car air freshener made by Rizla, and that is virtually impossible to find. A while back I did see a car for sale on eBay, and one of the photos showed one of these Rizla air fresheners stuck to the dashboard ... I was seriously tempted to buy the car just for the air freshener, and then sell the car again, that's how rare they are ... however, there is another way!! Mooncrest Models make resin copies of the air freshener, as well as other gun details, including the additional "blobs" that are on the Cyberguns in "Attack Of The Cybermen".

Hope that helps!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AVS.JPG (11.7 KB, 20 views)
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
Hello all! I know there are a lot of hidden gems of info hiding amongst you...

Have recently aquired an earthshock type cyberman head and ECU. Does anyone have any information about what was used / parts sources for the rest of the suit? In particular, the boots and gloves used, the little junction boxes on the suit /tubing, and a source for a cyber gun?

Those of you worried about backlash from cybergun making please PM me.
Hi Ham,

I am not worried about backlash from anyone making a prop for themselves, that's not an issue and I wouldn't take a claim stating otherwise seriously.

Reproducing for sale (even if just to cover costs) or to give away which in theory could lessen the copyrighters valued commodity (their property rights) is not good, please don't do that.

Everything else if absolutely fine, talking is actively encouraged.

The helmet and chest unit were redesigned and updated by Richard Gregory (I think) who is an extremely nice guy and has no problem at all with us discussing making our own prop replicas.

Martin Bower made the guns.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
... however, there is another way!! Mooncrest Models make resin copies of the air freshener, as well as other gun details, including the additional "blobs" that are on the Cyberguns in "Attack Of The Cybermen".

Hope that helps!!

It does, that's the best yet! Their price list is confusing though...I've sent them off an e-mail. Now, does anyone have anything on the gloves?

Last edited by Ham Salad; 21-12-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 21-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Hi Ham,

I am not worried about backlash from anyone making a prop for themselves, that's not an issue and I wouldn't take a claim stating otherwise seriously..
Well, I noticed that when the issue came up with Blakes 7, as soon as a complaint came up it got very, very quiet....I never did get any scale info on the clipgun, which I wanted to see how close I got with the one I built in the '80s....
Old 22-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Mr h
Life Support Technician

Issue 3 of the relaunched Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeller has a fantastic article about scratch-building an Earthshock style Cyber-suit

http://www.scififantasymodeller.co.u.../shop.php#Vol3
Mr h is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr h View Post
Issue 3 of the relaunched Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeller has a fantastic article about scratch-building an Earthshock style Cyber-suit

http://www.scififantasymodeller.co.u.../shop.php#Vol3
Did that...youwch! Fiendishly complicated. I'm thinking about ways to simplify it: I think I'll get a casting of the original, then make a mold of one junction w/tubing. Cast that in silver silicon, sew to silver suit. I want to avoid the latex method, all the latex suits I have seen rot really quickly...I do hate to remake the same thing over and over.
Old 27-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

UPDATE: I finally did finish the thing...went with a fabric suit and sewn details instead. It looks like this:

Tags
doctor who cyberman