Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Trek > Star Trek TOS

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
KevinD
Communications Officer

Default Phasers

Since there is a place for such things here, I thought I'd post pictures of the two phasers that I scratchbuilt some time ago.

Last edited by KevinD; 04-02-2012 at 12:52 PM.
KevinD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Well done, great Type-1 and Type-2 phasers.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Howard
Deputy Commander

Nice work.
It's good to see the P1 with a 'jewel' between the selector wheel and display. I've always preferred P1s with them.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
KevinD
Communications Officer

Thanks. The blue light on the Phaser II's Phaser I is from a matchbox toy ambulance, so looks more convincing. I'm curious as to what they used originally as I'm not convinced that blue LEDs existed in the 1960's?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Howard
Deputy Commander

The original 'jewel' was a found item (as was the communicator shell) and was a watch winding crown - I can't remember exactly which model of watch it came from...

In the Franz Joseph Starfleet Technical Manual, published in 1975, the blue 'led' was referred to as an operational light.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
KevinD
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
The original 'jewel' was a found item (as was the communicator shell) and was a watch winding crown - I can't remember exactly which model of watch it came from...

In the Franz Joseph Starfleet Technical Manual, published in 1975, the blue 'led' was referred to as an operational light.

Interesting, thanks for that.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Howard
Deputy Commander

My pleasure!
Perhaps one day I'll get around to building my ultimate Phaser.
The MR version was very good, but fell short in a few significant areas.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

I have mixed feelings about Franz Joseph and his technical manual, on the one hand I had to have it, it looked so cool and the drawings were done in such a way that they looked very convincing.

It was also the first time I realised that as good as they looked they were wrong.

The type II Phaser bugged me for years as they didn't seem to match what was in the AMT kit set. I understood they were "scale" copies (frustrating as that was) in just looked different in the shape, the kit version seemed to be shaped to fit around the hand in an arc but Franz had drawn was seemed to be a straight edge.

Then I looked at the Making of Star Trek book by Stephen E Whitfield and realised that F. Joseph had used it's excellent reference photographs to make his drawings. Unfortunately there was a heavy shadow cast across the handle area deceiving the eye and looking like it was the edge of the body part of the gun.

I have seen some original props since then and they are more subtly shaped than you might think and really look like nothing else designed or made at that time, you have to remember six shooters or machine guns were the order of the day back then.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Default Phased out

What do you think of the Art asylum phaser?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hi Ham,

I remember them as Playmates or a clone thereof.

Playmates revolutionised the toy collectors market with really good quality and fully tricked out replicas. I loved the TNG Tricorder and still have one. I stopped collecting just before the classic series landing set was released.

If they issued them, I would would buy them again.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Hi Ham,

I remember them as Playmates or a clone thereof..
Nope. entirely different. The Playmates version as a bit fatter and stubbier. I've seen original trek props, but most of them were bad fiberglass castings, and the dimensions were irregular...only the wah chang heros were really nice.

The art asylum replica features a removable phaser I, and the sight tilts up when you spin the intensity wheel correctly. There are 2 detractions from my point of view: the sound and light effects are all circuited in the phaser I, which runs off button cells...so the the sound is pretty low. Also, despite their attention to detail in other ways, the Phaser I is entirely missing the operating light/bezel....nothing between the wheel and meter at all.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote