Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot
 
MoonbaseAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 434
Default Original B7 gun, To Refurb or Not to Refurb ??

Hi guys,

I've got an original B7 gun that is in need of some TLC.
Only problem is I don't know whether I should do it or not and leave it as it is...

It's Investigator Reeve's gun form the season 4 episode "Sand". Then used again in Doctor Who as Glitz's gun.
I've had it for over 20 years and been umming and arhing about doing it for all that time...

When I was at the Beeb we used to have a room called "The Freebie store", it was where we used to put used and surplus props and materials after a production had finished.
I was in there one day and noticed a rocket launcher with a familiar handle.
The top of the handle had been sanded down to fit the two tubes on top, the milled alluminiun barrel was still completely in tact, it was only hot glued on so I took it off and put it to one side.

A few years later I was given the original mould for the gun.

So here's my dilemma...
The handle comes off quite easily with 2 screws.
My idea is to put the two half's of the handle back into the mould and put filler into the void that was sanded off to build it back up to the original state, clean it up, put back together and there you go...

What do you think ??

Bernie thinks I should cast a new set of handles, put them on and keep the original handles...


Andy






















Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 17-11-2011 at 11:31 PM.
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Ham Salad
Communications Officer
 
Ham Salad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonbaseAlpha View Post
Hi guys,

I've got an original B7 gun that is in need of some TLC.
Only problem is I don't know whether I should do it or not and leave it as it is...

It's Investigator Reeve's gun form the season 4 episode "Sand". Then used again in Doctor Who as Glitz's gun.
I've had it for over 20 years and been umming and arhing about doing it for all that time...

When I was at the Beeb we used to have a room called "The Freebie store", it was where we used to put used and surplus props and materials after a production had finished.
I was in there one day and noticed a rocket launcher with a familiar handle.
The top of the handle had been sanded down to fit the two tubes on top, the milled alluminiun barrel was still completely in tact, it was only hot glued on so I took it off and put it to one side.

A few years later I was given the original mould for the gun.

So here's my dilemma...
The handle comes off quite easily with 2 screws.
My idea is to put the two half's of the handle back into the mould and put filler into the void that was sanded off to build it back up to the original state, clean it up, put back together and there you go...

What do you think ??

Bernie thinks I should cast a new set of handles, put them on and keep the original handles...


Andy


(Photos to follow tomorrow)
I'd fix it...although I'd make the new part removable.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot
 
MoonbaseAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 434
Default

Hi guys,

I've been looking at the gun and Im thinking I really want to keep as much of if it original as posible...
There really isn't much missing...
You'll see when we get the photos uploaded,

Andy.
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
clanger68
Computer Technician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Devon, Southwest UK
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonbaseAlpha View Post
Hi guys,

I've been looking at the gun and Im thinking I really want to keep as much of if it original as posible...
There really isn't much missing...
You'll see when we get the photos uploaded,

Andy.
Leave the original handle alone, make a lovely replica and attach that to the original barrel.

Simples! LOL

- Andy
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Exterminator
Deputy Commander
 
Exterminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire, where it never rains (ish)
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanger68 View Post
Leave the original handle alone, make a lovely replica and attach that to the original barrel.

Simples! LOL

- Andy
What he said!!

It sounds the easiest thing to do - as you've got the original moulds, the new handle will be identical to the original (if you had to make it from scratch however, I think I would say the opposite).

If you DO make a new one, we won't tell!!

Last edited by Exterminator; 18-11-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot
 
MoonbaseAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 434
Default

Hi Guys,

Well I finally decided what to do about the gun... I've gone with my original idea with a little alteration.
I tried to put the handle back into the mould, but it wouldn't quite fit (I think there must be a slight bit of shrinkage in the plaster). It's probably less than half a milimeter, but enough in a solid plaster mould to make the difference. So I decided to make a silcone positive of that section, then make a silicone negative mould from that. Being silicone it would easily flex enough for the handle fit back in.

I thinned down some filler with a little polyester resin and added a little black pigment, put it into the mould and pushed the handle in and crossed my fingers...

After what seemed to be an age (probably about an hour), I took the two halfs out and was pleased with result, the edges had feathered beautifully. All then that needed to be done was a little sanding and a tiny bit of filler.
A coat of matt black paint and then polished with Zebite (Black grate polish), this gives it a nice gunmetal/graphite finish.

Put it back together and that was it...

I should have done this years ago... but there you go...


Andy.




























MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot
 
MoonbaseAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 434
Default

I think I may give this gun a nickname...
The Gordie or YI gun...

If you look at one of the photos of the finished gun you can see a distinctive YI in one of the handle sides...

Andy

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 24-11-2011 at 03:15 AM.
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
star one
Waste Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: derbyshire
Posts: 18
Default

hi andy , very nice results , and in this case well worth restoring back to its original condition, .Its alway a difficult desicion, to restore or leave as found . every item is individual ,and merits the question ,restore or not restore .excellent work.
b7gary.
star one is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #9
Exterminator
Deputy Commander
 
Exterminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire, where it never rains (ish)
Posts: 874
Default

Andy,

That's a really super job, and thanks for showing how you did it!
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
clanger68
Computer Technician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Devon, Southwest UK
Posts: 245
Default

Andy,

I stand corrected, a seamless repair, that was SO worth doing, absolutely the right decision and perfectly executed.

Another piece of Blake's 7 history preserved for posterity, fanatstic.

Well done and thank you for sharing.

- Andy
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Ham Salad
Communications Officer
 
Ham Salad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,414
Default

I'm really surprised they HAD a mold: They only used ONE of the guns, usually you only have a mold if you need multiples...

Funny thing about blake: the fed guns were multiple but had no mold, and there was only one of these and it had one.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot
 
MoonbaseAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 434
Default

The gun was used in other productions as well.

There's no indication when the mould was made, I suspect it was after B7.
If you had a prop that was used in a stunt shot (someone being hit over the head ect) you would have to make a mould to make a rubber version.

Im just pleased that they did !!


Andy.
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
clanger68
Computer Technician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Devon, Southwest UK
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Im just pleased that they did !!
...and so say all of us.
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Batfink343
Alphan
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 8
Default

Excellent job! Keeping a bit of TV history alive.
Batfink343 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot
 
MoonbaseAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 434
Default

Hi guys,

This gun was also used in Doctor Who as Glitz's gun in the McCoy period.


Andy.
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com