Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #81
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

What I don't understand is why the swift/hawk/et al use the Eagle command module ala ultraprobe...I thought that was the whole idea, modular tech that could be reused on later ships.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #82
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteQ View Post
"Those are mark IX hawks!"
"It sure looks that way, yeah."

So,...

Why not get a hold of the technical schematics for the hawk? At least that way they would know what they were up against and what the limitations of the craft were.

Was there ever a "squadron" of hawks based on Alpha? Why were they decommissioned if they are more manouverable than the eagle? Why not incorporate the engine/weapon design into the eagle?

Actually, why were the eagles armed in the first place?
We don't know that the Eagles were "armed in the first place". They weren't shown to have weapons until a few episodes in (Black Sun?), which may mean the Alphans/Victor built armaments for them sometime after Breakaway.

Dana
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #83
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
We don't know that the Eagles were "armed in the first place". They weren't shown to have weapons until a few episodes in (Black Sun?), which may mean the Alphans/Victor built armaments for them sometime after Breakaway.

Dana
Good point, I can remember season 1 references to select Eagles being armed and also combat ready. In season 2, it appeared all Eagles were armed with both the bow ventral laser and the dorsal laser turret that raised up from the forward service section.

At this link scroll down to 'Laser Turret' and 'Laser':
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...aglextras.html

Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #84
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
Then just moments later when Nordstrom freaks out and picks Steiner up and throws him his helmet visor pops open
That's not so much an inaccuracy so much as just a production error. There was something similar in 2001 as Bowman enters Hal, one of his cuffs isn't attached to the suit. And that was a far more expensive and lengthy production, yet these things happen. Actually there are quite a lot of production errors and scientific inaccuracies in 2001. So if a film of that quality has them, I'm not surprised a weekly TV show has as well.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #85
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
That's not so much an inaccuracy so much as just a production error. There was something similar in 2001 as Bowman enters Hal, one of his cuffs isn't attached to the suit. And that was a far more expensive and lengthy production, yet these things happen. Actually there are quite a lot of production errors and scientific inaccuracies in 2001. So if a film of that quality has them, I'm not surprised a weekly TV show has as well.

Keith
I have to go watch 2001 to see that. Good find Keith.

Old 28-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #86
NeoGoglu
Eagle Pilot

According to this picture, they had at least 4 takes to choose from,
if not a lot more.

I'm wondering what was wrong with the first three takes,
to let the final one make his way to the screen.

NeoGoglu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #87
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Interesting production photo filmed December 4th 1973. Cool.
Old 29-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #88
MADsen
Eagle Pilot

Thumbs up

Even though there were some flaws in Space 1999 Season 1 and 2, itīs still a dam ( pardon my french..) good Sci Fi TV series...

And yes, there have been flaws in other big TV/movie productions seens then, but that only makes them even more rememberol... right..
MADsen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #89
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADsen View Post
Even though there were some flaws in Space 1999 Season 1 and 2, itīs still a dam ( pardon my french..) good Sci Fi TV series...

And yes, there have been flaws in other big TV/movie productions seens then, but that only makes them even more rememberol... right..
Yes it does.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #90
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Star Trek TOS is riddled with scientific issues, not to mention dated design and ideals...Yet most of it's fans see it as gospel and bash other sci-fi series (including Space:1999) as suffering from the very faults their own favorite series has.

Dana

Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 04-11-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #91
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post

Dana
This would also seem to fit with the anti-gravity screens on the eagle in Ring Around the Moon - as a development of the Bergman forcefield in The Black Sun, it becomes a useful upgrade to retrofit. What they didn't bargain on was Triton reversing the gravity field (D'oh!")

Notice also that the buttons to activate the anti-grav field is in the same section of the panel for the lasers used in series two

But yes, a good point. It would make sense to retrofit lasers so that Alpha can defend itself against meteor strikes.
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #92
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Yeah...I can't imagine many good reasons for the eagles to be fitted with weapons (before leaving Earth orbit), when mostly all they did was ferry people/supplies and some heavy lifting (like moving nuclear containment covers and meteorites that crashed near the base).

Dana
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #93
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Also has anyone else noticed that the sections of the Eagle with the doors are not wide enough for the door to slide open?

If you remove the pod you'll see what I mean!
ALPHA ONE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #94
Howard
Deputy Commander

Most of us, I guess.
Still a damn cool design.
Maybe the doors 'concertina' (sp?) once in their frames?
Yeah, I know - excuses excuses.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #95
buddy10
Alphan

Default They address this

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTracy View Post
Lastly, the Eagle transporter was such a very interesting piece of design work that probably would have actually worked as a spacecraft on the moon or ferrying between the moon and orbital stations on the moon and Earth. But for atmospheric re-entry? C'mon. You have flat forward facing surfaces that would make it simply impossible.

In the episode "Ring Around the Moon", they do show that the Eagle is equipped with forward shielding. (Under SPX)

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...e/t04ratm.html

This could be what is used to protect the CM during re-entry, though I must admit, I can't remember them using it that way in the show.
They used a heat field shield,if fact Paul made the statement many times! The food they they had on the Eagle ,Last of "i forgot its name" The supply was like rations the arm force used,without the main power,the Proteins maker and water plants can't work right! They talk about the gravity thing also a few times.They made the Gravity equal to the Earth.The power plants was nuclear the same type we used today and they did used solar batteries
buddy10 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote