Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Launch Crater

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Default ANDERSON INSPIRED PROJECT-MOON RANGERS!

Hi chaps, for ages now, I've had a burning ambition to get on film a sort of 'tribute' to Gerry Anderson style productions. Now have a little creativity, but sadly only average modelling skills and no 'computer/videography' skills-as well as near zero budget and space for filming-I have my work cut out! No matter, I have come up with 'Moon Rangers' a concept based heavily on Gerry's original Space Police pilot film (aimed more at a child audience) as well as several other series. Any way, so far I have a moon base design, character uniforms, and Rangers cruisers. The idea is to get some stuff down (a sort of trailer)on film and then have a go at editing and adding effects etc. Although I will be keen to do in-camera effects where possible-wish me luck, It will probably be Spring/Summer before filming comences. Just constucted my first Cruiser type craft (there will be 2 at this scale) Not exactly top draw, but time and money are paramount, so please forgive.
Cheers,
Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moon ranger props 161.jpg (196.3 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg moon ranger props 169.jpg (199.0 KB, 209 views)
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

May I just add, the model isn't finished, needs lots of paneling detailing yet as well as more decals and paint.
cheers
Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
The idea is to get some stuff down (a sort of trailer)on film and then have a go at editing and adding effects etc. Although I will be keen to do in-camera effects where possible-wish me luck, It will probably be Spring/Summer before filming comences. Just constucted my first Cruiser type craft (there will be 2 at this scale) Not exactly top draw, but time and money are paramount, so please forgive.
Cheers,
Wayne
I have the same problem, the urge to make movies without the people necessary. If it helps I have all the video gear, hardware and software one might desire. If you shoot this on DV tape (sony) I could potentially cut it together for you, or add 3D animation/ explosions/ and such for you.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Thanks for the offer, I'll see how I go, havent even decided what I'll shoot it on, but it'll prob be on a digi memory stick!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

A bit more detail added to 1st hero model- although most of it won't be seen on screen!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP guns 014.jpg (196.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg SP guns 015.jpg (193.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg SP guns 016.jpg (195.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

I am a pro film-maker, I have little lights, a macro camera and all the gear, based in sheffield. I am happy to travel a bit, or hire a big room, and spend a day or two filming model sequences for anyone who is prepared to join in. Any pyrotechnicians out there?

I am a pro film-maker, I have little lights, a macro camera and all the gear, based in sheffield. I am happy to travel a bit, or hire a big room, and spend a day or two filming model sequences for anyone who is prepared to join in. Any pyrotechnicians out there?

I also have blue screen so costumes would be helpful.

oh....and we need a set, quite a big item that.

Models need firm anchor points so we can firmly mount them to a stand or a jib, or suspend them from three points.
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Hi Lrl,

Very interesting offer, I'd love to collaborate with someone on this project, however I'm quite a way off being ready to start. The Ranger model was built to keep my interest in the project-to finally get it off papaer and into something tangable! Like everyone here, I am very busy with everything else in life, so this has to be done in the limited spare time I have left (after work/family etc). As you pointed out, lots of other stuff needed-sets etc. Which is why my effort was to be mainly puppet baesd-ish!
List of stuff to be built:
2x hero Ranger craft
3x smaller scale Ranger craft
1x moonbase miniature (6' x6')
1x moonbase hanger interior miniature
2x larger sections of Ranger craft exterior (for close ups)
1x puppet scale cockpit interior set
1x life size cockpit interior set
2x puppet characters, complete with uniform
1x life size human character uniform

PHEW-and thats just the stuff I can think of!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Oh and a Bl**dy big white van to transport it all in if filming is not done in my garage!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Sounds like we're years off, but this still seems like a worthwhile scheme to me. How about an open model filming day where we have the 1999 moon being blown out of orbit, then have a ragtag fleet of ships evacuating the earth, the odd space battle, and finally finding a new home planet. The majority of models would just have to float serenely through space, we could have a couple rigged to explode and the 3d computer model guys could join in too. Make a short 3 minute trailer featuring as many models as possible. Sheffield is bang in the middle of the country, I can blag a blacked out studio which is next door to an exhibition space, so we could have a model exhibition while people were waiting to appear on camera. We could have a live camera feed into the exhibition space so people could see what was going on. Get enough people and the cost would be tens of pounds each. Sound like fun?
Old 13-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Which tank kit did the turret come from? I'd never thought of using a turret for a space craft before. I know it's an M1 Abrams but which kit?
The weathered and detailed model really looks stunning, and the shot of the pilot really brings it to life.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
McTodd
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrl View Post
I have been experimenting with miniature pyrotechnics, shooting with a high-speed Casio EX-FH25 camcorder (up to 240fps) - you can see some of my tests here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/McToddRidesAgain/videos

Look for the 'Bunker Explosion For Carter's Nightmare' and various 'Mini-Pyro Tests' (including 'Breakaway Plaster...') video clips.

The Casio is adequate for experiments and youtube videos, but it's not broadcast quality. At 240fps the resolution is 448x336 pixels (all of the above tests were at this setting); at the higher speeds the image is even smaller and IMHO worthless. At 120fps the image is 640x480 pixels and is surprisingly good, but the downside is that it's only around 5x normal speed, not really fast enough for good mini-pyro. By the summer I may have a Redlake Locam 16mm high-speed movie camera (capable of up to 500fps) up and running (I have the camera, the motor runs, but I don't yet know if it shoots in focus etc.) which, when digitally telecined, has the potential to produce a very good image.

I live in London, BTW, so getting up to Sheffield with equipment may not be feasible as I don't drive, but let's see how it goes if you're interested.

Last edited by McTodd; 14-02-2012 at 09:43 PM.
McTodd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

The train from St P stops mere yards from my proposed venue, you seem pretty handy to me, love to sign you up. Are you a member of the RPF? There's a modelmaker there who I think you should hook up with. See my thread on this forum in 2012 events.
Old 14-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
B.P. Taylor
Medical Technician

Wish I lived a little closer to you guys. Sounds like a fun project to work on. I happen to have a model called the Ranger too!

BP
B.P. Taylor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #14
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
Hi Lrl,

Very interesting offer, I'd love to collaborate with someone on this project, however I'm quite a way off being ready to start. The Ranger model was built to keep my interest in the project-to finally get it off papaer and into something tangable! Like everyone here, I am very busy with everything else in life, so this has to be done in the limited spare time I have left (after work/family etc). As you pointed out, lots of other stuff needed-sets etc. Which is why my effort was to be mainly puppet baesd-ish!
List of stuff to be built:
2x hero Ranger craft
3x smaller scale Ranger craft
1x moonbase miniature (6' x6')
1x moonbase hanger interior miniature
2x larger sections of Ranger craft exterior (for close ups)
1x puppet scale cockpit interior set
1x life size cockpit interior set
2x puppet characters, complete with uniform
1x life size human character uniform

PHEW-and thats just the stuff I can think of!
I've done some voice acting if you use puppets. That would be a gas!
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
McTodd
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrl View Post
The train from St P stops mere yards from my proposed venue, you seem pretty handy to me, love to sign you up. Are you a member of the RPF? There's a modelmaker there who I think you should hook up with. See my thread on this forum in 2012 events.
RPF - no, but I'll check it out, thanks, and your other thread!

BTW, I keep misreading the title of this thread (ANDERSON INSPIRED PROJECT-MOON RANGERS!) as ANDERSON INSPIRED PROJECT-MOON CLANGERS! which conjures up an altogether different sort of film (loads more astronauts from Earth visit the Clangers' world, dumping nuclear waste on it; the Clangers tidy up one day and put it all in one big pile - it starts to glow and...BOOM!!! Clanger World flies off through the cosmos etc...).

Last edited by McTodd; 15-02-2012 at 12:27 PM.
McTodd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

I'm a long way off, but I do have a basement full of models, or can build to your needs. Or, I can do basic photography of my models and send then for you to incorporate into your story. Just let me know!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Default Moon Rangers Update

Thanks for all your support guys, it's realy encouraging
TV21DALEK, your right the turret is from an M1, but its not from a kit, its from a kids toy, so comes in bigger than the 1/35 scale. I'd used therest of the tank for another scratchbuild and as I previously said, I needed to cobble something together quickly and I wanted something chunky looking-a bit 'Aliens' dropship inspired. Anyway, had a bit more time this week, so now have all the main bits for the 'moonbase', 'station house' or whatever It'll be called just need the base board. Also have started on puppet design/creation-see pics of helmet prototype. Puppets will be bigger than Terrahawk/Space Police scale.
Cheers,
Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPACE RANGER HELMET 057.jpg (200.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg SPACE RANGER HELMET 058.jpg (204.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 24-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Default UPDATE-MOON RANGERS IN PRE PRODUCTION

This project is finally go!!!!

Shooting should commence in approx two weeks. Sets built, miniatures in progress, costumes being made as we speak....

A couple of changes-more live action scenes now.

Main character............ Sgt. Ric Kowalski
Second character........ Officer Jess Portman

I will let you know when shooting commences, stay tuned........
Old 24-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Can I recommend the lumix lx7, a small, quality, stills camera, that shoots very good video, and is very nice for macro work, and you can alter the frame rate. Retails for 300 quid, oh and the auto focus is pretty good.

Try it, it would suit this project perfectly.

Good luck, you steely eyed rocket men.
Old 24-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Oh, and I realise that the fun is in doing it yourselves, but any help, if I can't give it, I'll know someone who can.
F.A.B.

I'm running two film events in September, love to screen it if it's ready.