Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Events > 2012 Events

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Default Proposed model filming day, summer, Sheffield

I am a pro film maker with a track record of putting on events on a shoestring. I live in Sheffield, and I'm after some expressions of interest. Some of you may be pure model makers but I suspect most of you are wannabe Gerry Andersons.

How about an open model filming day where we have the 1999 moon being blown out of orbit, then have a ragtag fleet of ships evacuating the earth, the odd space battle, and finally finding a new home planet.

The majority of models would just have to float serenely through space, we could have a couple rigged to explode and the 3d computer model guys could join in too. Make a short 3 minute trailer featuring as many models as possible.

Sheffield is bang in the middle of the country, I can blag a blacked out studio which is next door to an exhibition space, so we could have a model exhibition while people were waiting to appear on camera. We could have a live camera feed into the exhibition space so people could see what was going on.

Get enough people and the cost would be tens of pounds each. This would be a non profit joint venture, so I'd expect people to pull their weight and sort problems out for themselves. Costs would be hire of the exhibition space, tracking and jib equipment, catering and promotion. I bet we could get all that for a grand. Sound like fun?
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

I think i should mention that large scale model spacecraft tend to cost lots of money and a considerable amount of man hours in construction.

the phrase `events on a shoestring` does not sound like it could cover any damage by `explosions or by members of the public,but i may be wrong.

in the original TV show Space 1999,rarely did the blow anything up other than carboard cutouts replacing the models,in Brian Johnstons words `they could not afford to replace a 44" Eagle`

so far parts for one of my Eagles has exceeded 1500 for parts only,you want to put on the whole show for Grand,so in the words of Dragons Den.......I am out
rockwellcm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

A bit snotty, but I shall reply.
Of course the models are precious which is why "The majority of models would just have to float serenely through space". The fact that the parts, for what I'm sure is a highly prized model, cost a lot need not make the event expensive. I certainly did not mean to imply (which I did) that we would be blowing up your creations.

I am offering pro moving photography and post production on a shoestring because I can get a full crew to donate their time for a fun project in a quiet year. The exhibition is a staging area for you guys to work on your models, and stay out of the studio until it's your turn. You would then supervise your own bit of the shoot.

And no I wouldn't be insuring your model, nor would I be transporting it or paying you for your time. Nor would you be insuring my somewhat more expensive and precious equipment or paying for my time. It's a collaborative venture intended to get your models on the screen where they belong, and for me to have something that makes me smile on my showreel.

It's a genuine offer and it pains me to be treated with such suspicion. however I think the asking of probing questions is fair enough when your time and highly valuable models is concerned, so don't be dismissive like our dragon, ask questions if you have them, and ask yourself, what else is that model really for, if not to fly?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

Point taken,sorry if it came across a bit sharp,i think you may have set the bar a bit high,but wish you well on your project
rockwellcm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Thank you for your kind and generous, if still slightly cynical response. The bar is set high, but have you seen the quality of the models? They deserve nothing less, and I know cameramen who would love to shoot them. The same for all you 3D cgi guys, you need an actual project, how does blowing the moon out of orbit sound? Sounds like fun to me.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

In fact rockwellcm, I think you'd better come along and keep an eye on me, there's a meal and a spare room if you want it.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Hmm, sounds interesting!!

My models aren't from Anderson shows, so I'm not sure if there'd be much point in me bringing them along (I can't really envisage the Liberator attacking Moonbase Alpha!!), but if you've got people lighting, "flying" and shooting models I'd be interested in coming to see how it's done - I'm currently investigating film and TV lighting (I just about know my DMX from my dichroic filters, so there's plenty of room for improvement! ), and there are lots of books about lighting "real" scenes and subjects, but I've yet to find anything about models or miniatures, so seeing how it's actually done in a practical situation would be very useful indeed!!

Of course, turning up model-less would also mean that I'd be available to assist others if required ... !!

One question - would this be a "closed" event, or would it be open to the public?
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Exhibition open to the public, free entry, but the studio would be closed, and the liberator would absolutely be welcome, as would the Death Star, Thunderbird 3, the Enterprise and the Dark Star. This is what the ragtag fleet and the alien menaces will be formed from. I want as many disperate models as possible, I want people to watch this thing over and over and still miss stuff, I want the Tardis and the Discovery flying alongside a Saturn 5 and FAB1 while Martian Tripods stalk Buck Rogers.

But none of that will happen if no-one brings their models.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Ah, right - sorry, I just assumed it would be a Space:1999 or at least just a Gerry Anderson thing.

Phil
Old 08-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

No apologies for logical assumptions needed. I should give out more information. How do people feel about the public exhibition, just made sense to me.

We will make a lit starfield (leds on magnets with the current going through the magnetic paint on a dimmer, or a backlit board with holes in it) then shoot models in a blacked out studio, in front of the starfield, with single point lighting, probably moving the camera rather than the model. If people bring atmospheric craft or subs we will use back projection. I do fancy a huge fleet of Eagles of various scales, but we'll work with what we get.

There would be a greenscreen rigged which we coud use for smaller models, but I envision this would be used for people to bring costumes and be included in dioramas or model interiors.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrl View Post
Exhibition open to the public, free entry, but the studio would be closed
Just a thought ... if an entry fee is not being charged to let the public in, would it be easier all round to make it a "closed" event? I am thinking about public liability insurance, and also potential damage to props/models - I know of one event where a replica Movie Dalek had a light lens stolen, and I have heard of people breaking off "souvenirs" from items on display.

It may cut down a lot of hassle.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

... by the way, you can consider me officially "interested"!!

That's me "on the list" - anyone else?

P.S. - Lrl, can I draw your attention to this thread about a TV21 Daleks film? Something I started a while ago and I will be re-starting shortly.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
... by the way, you can consider me officially "interested"!!

That's me "on the list" - anyone else?

P.S. - Lrl, can I draw your attention to this thread about a TV21 Daleks film? Something I started a while ago and I will be re-starting shortly.
Brill project, sign me up.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
Just a thought ... if an entry fee is not being charged to let the public in, would it be easier all round to make it a "closed" event? I am thinking about public liability insurance, and also potential damage to props/models - I know of one event where a replica Movie Dalek had a light lens stolen, and I have heard of people breaking off "souvenirs" from items on display.

It may cut down a lot of hassle.
Blimey, it's a fair point, but a sorry state of affairs if we feel we can't let the public in. I throw this one back to the forum, would you rather not deal with the public or is that an essential element for you? I'll be guided by your opinion, sway me.
Old 16-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

I have a new idea, no don't groan, I'll start a new thread. Meet me in cardboard star wars.
Old 19-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

I am close to dropping this idea as I'm not exactly overwhelmed with offers to help, and in other forums, I got a very hostile response. I have come to realise that a lot of people are very happy to just possess a fantastic model, and found my approach threatening. For this reason I intend to try to launch a project using less precious models, but still all the skill and talent of members, and have given the project the mysterious name of.......cardboard star wars, hmm, what could that be about?

Thank you so much to the few that did sign up, I will keep this thread alive for a while to see what happens, but let's give this other idea a whirl.
Old 19-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #17
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
I am close to dropping this idea as I'm not exactly overwhelmed with offers to help, and in other forums, I got a very hostile response. I have come to realise that a lot of people are very happy to just possess a fantastic model, and found my approach threatening. For this reason I intend to try to launch a project using less precious models, but still all the skill and talent of members, and have given the project the mysterious name of.......cardboard star wars, hmm, what could that be about?

Thank you so much to the few that did sign up, I will keep this thread alive for a while to see what happens, but let's give this other idea a whirl.
Sorry too far away: I do have the original Protector miniature from Galaxy Quest, though.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #18
McTodd
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
I am close to dropping this idea as I'm not exactly overwhelmed with offers to help, and in other forums, I got a very hostile response...
Well, I can understand people being lukewarm (I am myself, but only because of the prospect of having to drag my arse a long distance from my hermit-like existence) but I'm surprised people would be actively hostile. Clearly, other forums are less friendly places!

But I do like the Cardboard Star Wars idea, so I shall nip over to that thread when I think of something to say...
McTodd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
Sorry too far away: I do have the original Protector miniature from Galaxy Quest, though.
Now that's just teasing. Thanks for the interest anyway.
Old 19-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTodd View Post
Well, I can understand people being lukewarm (I am myself, but only because of the prospect of having to drag my arse a long distance from my hermit-like existence) but I'm surprised people would be actively hostile. Clearly, other forums are less friendly places!

But I do like the Cardboard Star Wars idea, so I shall nip over to that thread when I think of something to say...
Yes this one seems to have a more positive outlook, pop over to rpf to witness my mauling......better yet, don't.