Notices

SPONSORED BY
Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
karr1981
Assistant Commander

Default New Area

Hi Guys,

This new area is for members to discuss the exciting area of Scifi Tabletop gaming.

I myself have a recently started new Blood Angels Army for Warhammer 40k and i will be posting up some pics of my army and maybe do some reports of matches if its of interest to people (although TonyB may kill me for performing soo badly in battle hehe)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Support the forum, visit the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
karr1981 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
TonyB
Science Officer

Chris you will be sacrificed on the alter of the blood god. That is a 40K and Warahammer Fantasy Battle reference for those not in the know.

I will be in London at the Excel Centre in the docklands on 20th and 21st April attending Europe's largest war games show, I will be running two sets of participation games at the show, a 28mm Victorian fantasy 'arena' game and, a 15mm WW2 game. It will keep me busy if nothing else, it will be a busy show based on previous experience.

One of the other games being heavily featured is a 28mm game called Scarlet Thunder, basically its Captain Scarlet using the new 28mm miniatures from a company called Crooked Dice, although the models are sold under the title of 'Time Lift Security Guards', they are very nice sculpts, I bought a few blisters at a show a couple of weeks ago, with a view to converting some to create different Captains.

Crooked Dice also do a small range of what they call 'Arc Astronauts', although they are really Space 1999 figures, truth be told. I also found a set of three separate heads for some scientists they also sell, the strnage thing is the three heads bear more than a passing resemblance to Commander Koenig, Victor Bergman and Helena Russell.

The intention is to convert some of the figure and do some small dioramas for Captain Scarlet and Space 1999.

For those who might be interested in this type of thing, I have just recently uploaded a load of images taken at various shows I have co-organized. Here is the link to the Hammerhead web site, click on the Gallery on the side Nav Bar.

TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Lrl
Computer Technician

I kitbash vehicles with my 11 year old, for his warhammer. The real kits seem very expensive to me. Building a battleground and the companionable job of painting figures are jobs we can tackle together. But for all the building, neither of us have read the rulebook.
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Tony,

don't forget Crooked Dice also do "Lady Sylvia Winterly & Stefan 'Grief' Travers", the spitting images of a certain supreme commander turned president and her sidekick, along with some 'federated' troopers.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
TonyB
Science Officer

Yup, I am well aware of those figures, I may well pick up a blister at Salute next month in London. The Man from 2000 and The Man from 3000 are quite nice too, otherwise known as Number 6 and Cmdr Straker.

And even more for Gerry Anderson fans they are just about to release three female pilots, two of which bear an uncanny resemblance to Angels!!

I was looking at their new sculpts for upcoming future releases yesterday and they have a couple of new sprue's with heads, one of which looks very much like a female Moonbase operative.

Keep an eye on this company as they are doing some nice figures.

TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Karr,

Are you doing your WH40K figures as purely GW models, or do you plan on using some of the amazing independant parts out there to customise them?

I recently found Anvil Industry, a small company making "Steam Lords" figures in the same scale. Their themed bases are superb, and I have bought a set of 10 of their "Widowmaker" rifles, sights, underslung chainswords, and "Widowmaker" pistols. They are well worth a look as alternate Boltguns. The magazines they sell from Zinge are the offset drum mags, so there is no worry about fit with GW arms.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
karr1981
Assistant Commander

Ive been looking at some Forgeworld additions, but will prob keep it GW only for now as there's regular tournaments locally i may enter.

Ill check out the ones you mentioned though

Old 18-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Karr, I recently got into my first Ork vehicle for a painting comp set up by the Cambs Gw store. I have to finish it by the 30th, and still have a long way to go. I have done more work on it than this, but my camera battery died and I couldn't get it charged in time to get the new pics up. I should be able to do that tonight and post more tomorrow.

since then I have got the checks done on the wing leading edges, a Goff symbol in white on one wing, and the guns mainly painted. The tail will have an Ork 'cheescake' design on it, I need to drill, paint and install the exhausts, and then I need to weather it, chip the paint, add rust, etc.
Old 27-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Long time since I posted anything on this, so here are a few more pics of where I am with this model. I hope to have it finished on Saturday as it is being done for my local (Cambridge) GW's flyer painting competition which ends then.

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited by Conrad Turner; 27-06-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 27-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
BenLennon
Hydroponics Technician

Wow!!

Golden Demon material there I think
BenLennon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Nah, no-where near, I'm afraid. This is just high-end gaming quality. Golden Demon is a whole other level.

The conversion is rather too obvious, the blends take place over 2 or 3 shades, not the 10+ that a GD demands, there are obvious join lines and mould lines in places, and rather telling is the fact that the base has just had a rather nasty coat of green and nothing else. In fact, I hope to get a better replacement base if I were to do anything better with this, but I have projects that will take me away from this after the weekend. I'll post pictures in the appropriate areas as I get on with them.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

OK, got it finished in time, although I would have liked more time to work on the stand. That can be done at a later date, and some entries were on unpainted stands, so I am not worried.

Here are the final pics taken in-store.

Old 27-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Third. Beaten by a guy who's been painting models for about 5 months, and a guy who works in the store.
Old 28-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Drats and that check pattern is really difficult to paint, seems like you were robbed mate
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Though I'm not a "Warhammer Guy" as such , I really like the design ethic and over the last 12 months or so , have built up some large scale ( approx 1/8 scale, by my sums ) figures .

Blood Angel Veteran .

Grey Knight .

They are built on a 1/6 scale body ,are fully articulated and between 12-14 inches tall . I'm currently working on an Ultramarine "Grunt" and an Orc . I also have plans for a Marine Landspeeder in the same scale .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
mrpsychopath
Eagle Pilot

I take it they are all scratchbuilt thundergod, the stone cold head looks the part, need to add some service studs. like the idea of 1/6 space marines. Have not gamed at 40k for yrs, the rules change to much. and they killed off the legion of the damned as an army.

mrpsychopath is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
karr1981
Assistant Commander

my army is taking shape, new pics will follow soon as my new additions are almost ready.

Just received the brand new 6th edition rules so need to start learning the changes, looking forward to the ally system (a small regiment in your army from another codex), otherwise known as the GW ' how can we make ppl with full armies by more stuff'

Old 28-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #18
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Wow mrpsyhcopath, those are some pretty impressive figures ! I've dabbled in the past with miniatures ( I had friends who gamed , but weren't really modellers , so I got drafted in every now and again to to paint stuff ), but the idea of doing figure after figure ( after figure after figure....) always seemed daunting to me ! The Blood Angel is still a w.i.p , so studs , honour seals , as well as lots more details are to be added . The figure is an "evolving process" as he gets more detail , weathering and weaponry as the feeling takes me ( as his battle experience and campaigns add to his character ). Mad , I know , but I'm actually factoring this "concept" into the building of my next marine . I'm starting him off as a "grunt" or rookie , with minimal weathering etc. to his armour and then whenever I feel like , I'll add to it . This way , the figures are never finished as such , but are constantly growing and changing .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
mrpsychopath
Eagle Pilot

most of my figures are about 20yrs + old, have not painted one in over a decade. my dark angel chapter was on display at lenton yrs back before it was sold and shipped to the states. like your 1/6th idea. dont know why GW have not started ripping (ahem) selling these themselves lol.
mrpsychopath is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Just had a look at the Crooked Dice newsletter. Nice little sneak peek of a 'future freedom fighter' character that looks a little lost without his 6 companions. Nice little addition to the Lady Sylvia Winterly & Stefan 'Grief' Travers they do.