Here's one review where it says about flaws -

http://blog.newsok.com/nerdage/2011/...lu-ray-review/
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #82
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLINGSTAR View Post
How is saying that - "I'm not denying Blu Ray sales are on the rise but whether they're rising as fast as expected I don't know"

And then saying - "and that could well explain the lack of sales" contradictory?

There is no lack of sales.

Quote:
Also, If you wouldn't buy the series with a few new effects and some tweaks here and there then that's up to you - but I bet many others would buy it. And what on earth is wrong with that if the original is still available?

How can that be vandalism if you can still watch the original series untouched? If you don't want to watch something like that fine - but that doesn't mean all Space 1999 fans wouldn't want to see the show with some revamped effects and being brought more up to date special effects wise.

It's a bit like wanting to 'touch up' the Mona Lisa or any other piece of reknown art work. If the original Producer or Director decided to do it would have some moral high ground, but for a third party without reference to the original creator to undertake it, would be in my opinion (and others) be vandalism as one is changing somones vision without any knowledge of what was intended at the outset. Also the not inconsiderable cost needed to undertake minor CGI inserts it could be more wisely spent.

Quote:
That's the only way I'd hurry out and buy the Blu Rays i.e. - if they offered something totally different. I can handle not seeing so much texture on their uniforms or a few computer panels for a while.

As for cost

Space 1999 in BD: 29
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1...rlrefer=search

Space 1999 in SD: 35
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/70515...rlrefer=search

The Prisoner BD box set came with a 290 page book and was 34 on release.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...er_blu-ray.htm

Thats your call, but as pointed by others you are denying yourself an audio visual feast and perhaps how the original producers wanted it seen? After all, Space 1999 was filmed in 35mm and thats one of the reasons it looks so good now. The volume of sales appears to be at the tipping point where the cost of BD is on parity with SD, as highlighted above in some cases better. I also note that "2001 is a tenner on BD and 2010 seven smackers. The value for money is more than there now with BD.

Quote:
Here's one review where it says about flaws -

http://blog.newsok.com/nerdage/2011/...lu-ray-review/

I bet that took some finding? It's saying the opposite what you think, in that the power and clarity of BD can reveal the limitations of the original production. Those limitations exist whatever format it is viewed on.

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 19-03-2012 at 07:45 AM.
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #83
Mykol Gantt
Alphan

TVShowsonDVD.com is investigating this rumor of the Year Two cancellation. I find it hard to believe het A&E just gave up this info to a random fan. Nothing has been officially confirmed....
Mykol Gantt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #84
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykol Gantt View Post
TVShowsonDVD.com is investigating this rumor of the Year Two cancellation. I find it hard to believe het A&E just gave up this info to a random fan. Nothing has been officially confirmed....

I don't think issue lies with A&E, but rather with Network who appear to have changed their angle of attack over the last year. They seem to be concentrating on releasing the ITV back catalogue they have aquired and issuing one perhaps two big name large BD sets per year. They recently released the 'Persuaders' with a huge launch event and fanfare so I don't think it is dead in the water - they just seem to have bigger fish to fry at the moment. It appears that A&E license a goodly amount of titles from Network, so as soon as Network decide to do something with it, I'm sure it will follow on from A&E shortly after.

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 19-03-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 20-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #85
FALLINGSTAR
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_hopkirk View Post
There is no lack of sales.

It's a bit like wanting to 'touch up' the Mona Lisa or any other piece of reknown art work. If the original Producer or Director decided to do it would have some moral high ground, but for a third party without reference to the original creator to undertake it, would be in my opinion (and others) be vandalism as one is changing somones vision without any knowledge of what was intended at the outset. Also the not inconsiderable cost needed to undertake minor CGI inserts it could be more wisely spent.

As for cost

Space 1999 in BD: 29
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1...rlrefer=search

Space 1999 in SD: 35
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/70515...rlrefer=search

The Prisoner BD box set came with a 290 page book and was 34 on release.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...er_blu-ray.htm

Thats your call, but as pointed by others you are denying yourself an audio visual feast and perhaps how the original producers wanted it seen? After all, Space 1999 was filmed in 35mm and thats one of the reasons it looks so good now. The volume of sales appears to be at the tipping point where the cost of BD is on parity with SD, as highlighted above in some cases better. I also note that "2001 is a tenner on BD and 2010 seven smackers. The value for money is more than there now with BD.

I bet that took some finding? It's saying the opposite what you think, in that the power and clarity of BD can reveal the limitations of the original production. Those limitations exist whatever format it is viewed on.

Marty...

I was talking about a lack of sales of the Space 1999 dvd because of this posting -

"I just read this posted on the UFO Series website that A&E has discontinued all Gerry Anderson products due to low sales. This also means the cancellation of Y2 Blu-Ray".

And not overall sales of dvd. Whether it's true or not I don't know.

As for "a bit like someone wanting to touch up the Mona Lisa" - we're not talking about altering an incredibly famous classic painting here - we're talking about enhancing a copy of a 70s tv series. A tv series that included the latest and possible future technology back then and a tv series that would have used cgi if they'd had it at the time.

And if it's only the original producer or director that can have the moral high ground to alter it - then what about George Lucas? He was the original director of Star Wars - but he just showed how it shouldn't be done as instead of just updating dated effects he started shoving silly things in there.

I've heard all the arguments against enhancing old shows before such as what you've said and I don't think they stack up at all - why? - because the original version is always available [ even Lucas has released the original - though not as cleaned up as people wanted ].

Thankfully I think more and more people are coming round to the idea that a few tweaks on these old shows can improve them despite Lucas's hamfisted approach and all the naysayers - and the Dr Who dvds of the classic series with new cgi have been quite popular.
If people like you don't want to watch it - you don't have to. As is the case on the Dr Who dvds - the original is included as well so what's the big problem with that? I'm sure myself (and others) think cgi/updated special effects is money wisely spent - if we ever see Space 1999 enhanced of course.

On the subject of price - I got my dvd box set of Space 1999 the 1st series recently for 14.00 + 2.50 P+P. Second hand yes but still quite a bit cheaper than if I wanted to buy the Blu Ray. I couldn't find the Blu Ray at the time for less than 35.00.

And yes, that article didn't take much finding. As I've already said I'm not denying the picture and sound is better on Blu Ray at all or you can't see the limitations on any other format - but the less limitations you can see the better in my books - and Blu Ray does obviously bring out more of them.

Last edited by FALLINGSTAR; 20-03-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 20-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #86
wvrs158
Hydroponics Technician

Default From www.digitalbits.com .....

"Finally today, a number of you have e-mailed us to ask about rumors that have been circulating around the Net since last week to the effect that New Video and A&E Home Video have stopped work on the Blu-ray release of Space: 1999 - Season Two. I can report to you all today that BOTH A&E and New Video have told us that there's no truth to this. We're waiting for additional details from them, but in the meantime know that the rumors are inaccurate. Space: 1999 - Season Two is apparently still in production for Blu-ray. More soon."

Not a HUGE Year 2 fan, but waiting patiently to buy the BR nonetheless.

Thanks Digitalbits!
wvrs158 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #87
FALLINGSTAR
Astrophysics Technician

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrs158 View Post
"Finally today, a number of you have e-mailed us to ask about rumors that have been circulating around the Net since last week to the effect that New Video and A&E Home Video have stopped work on the Blu-ray release of Space: 1999 - Season Two. I can report to you all today that BOTH A&E and New Video have told us that there's no truth to this. We're waiting for additional details from them, but in the meantime know that the rumors are inaccurate. Space: 1999 - Season Two is apparently still in production for Blu-ray. More soon."

Not a HUGE Year 2 fan, but waiting patiently to buy the BR nonetheless.

Thanks Digitalbits!
Ah - even though I'm in no hurry to get the Blu Rays - that's good news. Maybe the sales aren't as bad as we thought then.
Old 20-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #88
blondgod
Life Support Technician

Oh ye of little faith. So it's still in the works? Great! Year One was my first Blu-Ray purchase and it is astoundingly beautiful to look at and experience. I want Year Two on BR as well, rubber monsters and all!
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #89
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
[Ah - even though I'm in no hurry to get the Blu Rays - that's good news. Maybe the sales aren't as bad as we thought then.

Crikey! you are persistant at pushing a myth, sales of BD are heathy and rising,QED.

Marty...
Old 20-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #90
shadokp
Travel Tube Technician

Sorry for delivering false info about the Y2 cancellation. I guess you cannot believe everything you read - especially in forums.

KP
shadokp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #91
Mykol Gantt
Alphan

This is the second rumor of A&E discontinuing their ITC/ITV catalogue. The first was thrown around just before The Prisoner and Space: 1999 Year One were announced for BR. That's why I just refused to believe this attempt. Somebody has a lot of time on their hands....
Mykol Gantt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #92
FALLINGSTAR
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:

Crikey! you are persistant at pushing a myth, sales of BD are heathy and rising,QED.

Marty...

So me saying this -

"I'm not denying Blu Ray sales are on the rise but whether they're rising as fast as expected I don't know"

Is pushing a myth?

Obviously Marty you had inside information about the Space 1999 dvd before everyone else on here then - before wvrs158 posted his message saying that season 2 is apparently in production?

When you said "there is no lack of sales" you were talking about the Space 1999 Blu Rays yes?
Old 22-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #93
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Default Space 1999 on Blu-Ray

I've had both DVD & Blu-Ray sets of Space and to be honest I really can't see what all the fuss is about over Blu-Ray,The DVD set is of perfectly acceptable quality and the presentation of the episodes i.e. menu system on the Blu-Ray discs leaves a lot to be desired.

As for the remastered Classic Star Trek, I too was sceptical at first but after watching the 1st Season I have to say that the CGI scenes are pretty damned Good!

I would have no problem with a similar treatment for Space, although the effects were great for the time I really think there is room for improvment!
ALPHA ONE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #94
FALLINGSTAR
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHA ONE View Post
I've had both DVD & Blu-Ray sets of Space and to be honest I really can't see what all the fuss is about over Blu-Ray,The DVD set is of perfectly acceptable quality and the presentation of the episodes i.e. menu system on the Blu-Ray discs leaves a lot to be desired.

As for the remastered Classic Star Trek, I too was sceptical at first but after watching the 1st Season I have to say that the CGI scenes are pretty damned Good!

I would have no problem with a similar treatment for Space, although the effects were great for the time I really think there is room for improvment!

Interesting to read that. Whenever I've seen Blu Rays playing in supermarkets - the picture's looked very good but I can't say I've noticed a huge difference to dvd - and I've seen them playing on very large screens.

And agree about the Trek cgi. I like to watch the original effects but I much prefer watching the cgi versions now. Some people might not agree but I think they work well and overall blend in nicely with the 60s live action.

I would have gone even further too - replacing things like the dog with a horn glued to his head with a similar but more convincing looking alien creature.
Old 23-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #95
age9000
Astrophysics Technician

if the do CGI effects then also give the option of original version as well
keeps everyone happy

CGI is good now, not like those super space theatre releases !! remember them ?
age9000 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #96
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Default CGI vs Models

Yep the early CGI was pretty ropey! even Babylon 5 and the early seasons of Star Trek TNG have dated badly!

As with models when they're built well and lit right they can look fantastic although it's very difficult to get sweeping camera angles with Physical Models.

As for Star Trek & Space, Both are Great!! True Classics of Sci-Fi and of course no one wants to see their precious childhood memories destroyed but if it's done well
& with respect for the original material then I for one have No Problem with that
ALPHA ONE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #97
FALLINGSTAR
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by age9000 View Post
if the do CGI effects then also give the option of original version as well
keeps everyone happy

CGI is good now, not like those super space theatre releases !! remember them ?

Exactly. You'd swear by the way some people talk that the original version would be erased.
Old 26-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #98
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHA ONE View Post

Well, I'll say that the old Region One Space:1999 DVDs for season one were very poor, second rate transfers, and in fact were some of the same transfers we saw here as originally broadcast...like Dragon's Domain with the Yellow sleeved uniforms appearing as day-glow orange. They were so poor, in fact, that when the Bonus Disk with MFMBA was released, that three of those episodes re-appeared, properly transfered. So in that regard, from my viewpoint, the difference was huge. I knew it was something special when I paused Alpha Child and waled up to the screen to check out the bright red markings on the pursuit ship! Amazing!!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #99
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Interesting to read that. Whenever I've seen Blu Rays playing in supermarkets - the picture's looked very good but I can't say I've noticed a huge difference to dvd - and I've seen them playing on very large screens.

Also with background lighting approaching 600 lux

Quote:
[ Ah - even though I'm in no hurry to get the Blu Rays - that's good news. Maybe the sales aren't as bad as we thought then.

Thought about replacing the 'we' with an 'I'?

Quote:
Exactly. You'd swear by the way some people talk that the original version would be erased.

Compromised and ruined are the words you are searching for.

Marty...
Old 26-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #100
FALLINGSTAR
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:

Also with background lighting approaching 600 lux

Thought about replacing the 'we' with an 'I'?

Compromised and ruined are the words you are searching for.

Marty...

Are they? Might be compromised and ruined to you - but not everybody [ thankfully ] thinks like you.

And - thought about reading peoples posts correctly marty?

Or do you just like conveniently ignoring what people wrote so you can accuse them of "pushing a myth" [ which I haven't done as I've already pointed out to you ]?

So the fact that 1 or 2 other people on here were wondering if there was a lack of sales of the Space 1999 and other Gerry Anderson discs means that when I said "we" I should have said "I" ?

Even though this was posted -

"just read this posted on the UFO Series website that A& E has discontinued all Gerry Anderson products due to low sales. This also means the cancellation of Y2 Blu-Ray.

Looks to me like it wasn't only me who was wondering if there was a lack of sales of the Space 1999 discs now was it Mr Hopkirk?

And how about answering my question about what you meant by "there is no lack of sales"?