Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #41
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Thank's for that it's still one of the best as are all of the episodes that Alan wrote. Also as script editor he knew how to make the episodes out standing
JimTVFan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #42
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Thank's i've been looking for a Move and You're Dead behind the scenes for ages!
Old 28-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #43
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

One thing get's me is that Julien Lugrin is credited for The Cham Cham instead of Alan Perry? It get's me because Julien was on Mary's Unit and Alan was on Christine's who shot the episode.
Old 29-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #44
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTVFan View Post
One thing get's me is that Julien Lugrin is credited for The Cham Cham instead of Alan Perry? It get's me because Julien was on Mary's Unit and Alan was on Christine's who shot the episode.
I think things were so chaotic then that people moved around as needed. Without a proper shooting order, it's impossible to really know who did what - even when they were credited.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #45
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

I know on Season 2 Mary and Christine worked together on all 6 episodes.

Old 30-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #46
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
I know on Season 2 Mary and Christine worked together on all 6 episodes.
Do we? I think the most we know about S2 is that it was all hands to deck with six episodes and the movie happening.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #47
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterspy View Post
I'm starting to think that Attack of the Alligators! was shot in 1966, alongside The Cham-Cham. There's a picture of them shooting Attack which I've found which has 1966 on the back, plus it would explain why Alan Pattillo didn't direct his own script; he couldn't have done both simultaneously.
Plus it would also explain why Julien Lugrin was the Camera Operator on The Cham Cham and not Alan Perry who was Camera Operating on Attack of the Alligators. Although both were shot by Christine's unit so it would also explain why David Lane Directed Attak of the Alligators instead of Alan who was Directing The Cham Cham. If they were both in production at the same time.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #48
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Julien was the lighting cameraman on Mary's unit, while Paddy Seale was his counterpart on Christine's unit. When I interviewed Paddy a few years ago he told me that after shooting had been completed on Attack of the Alligators, he worked with the special effects team to help deal with the back-log of effects, while Julien continued with a merged puppet unit on the Cham-Cham. It's quite possible that effects shots may still have been on the floor for AOTA in 1966 though, as these sequences were often shot later.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #49
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
It's on the Rex Features photolibrary website. Put Thunderbirds into their search engine and you should eventually find a still of Gerry and Sylvia (she's wearing a lifesize version of Penelope's 'Mondrian' dress), and behind them, 'Move and You're Dead' is being filmed.

Just a note regarding an earlier post - one other explanation for David Lane's credit on The Mighty Atom, is because it was the first episode he directed, and the on the floor training he received from David Elliott may have been on City of Fire, with Terror in New York City being an expanded episode with additional material being shot later by a different director as had happned with Perils of Penelope.
So you reckon that Desmond Saunder's would have shot the extended episode if Alan Pattillo had directed his own script as a 30 minute film.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #50
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
So you reckon that Desmond Saunder's would have shot the extended episode if Alan Pattillo had directed his own script as a 30 minute film.
Yes, I think that's probably the most likely explanation. Alan may already have been lined up to shoot the 30 minute (actually 25 minute) original version of Perils of Penelope, and then had no time to direct the additional sequences due to his work as script editor. Towards the end of 1965 the scripts would probably all have completed, enabling him to direct the additional sequences for Move and You're Dead and then move on to The Cham-Cham. The editing and pace of the climax to Perils of Penelope also seem to indicate Alan's editorial skill, rather than Desmond's less structure orientated style.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #51
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Yes, I think that's probably the most likely explanation. Alan may already have been lined up to shoot the 30 minute (actually 25 minute) original version of Perils of Penelope, and then had no time to direct the additional sequences due to his work as script editor. Towards the end of 1965 the scripts would probably all have completed, enabling him to direct the additional sequences for Move and You're Dead and then move on to The Cham-Cham. The editing and pace of the climax to Perils of Penelope also seem to indicate Alan's editorial skill, rather than Desmond's less structure orientated style.
Also due to Alan's job as editor i reckon that as we have discussed earlier in the topic about Security Hazard that Desmond would have shot that probly due to not much new footage and that Attack of the Alligators was assigned to David Lane if Towards the end The Cham Cham would have started filming. I also think that Christine's Unit had already been assigned to shoot both episodes with borrowing Julien from Mary's Unit.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #52
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

That sounds about right. I think it's also possible that David Elliott may have been completing additional scenes for Martian Invasion around the end of '65/beginning of '66.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #53
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
That sounds about right. I think it's also possible that David Elliott may have been completing additional scenes for Martian Invasion around the end of '65/beginning of '66.
Yeah it says in Filmed in Supermarionation that David had just finished his last episode for the first series which i also think it would be Martian Invasion with Mary's unit when Attack of the Alligators was starting filming. Martian Invasion would be after The Duchess Assignment as Brian Johnson had left AP Films.
Old 27-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #54
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Very true although i guess that Are Go was mainly Christine's Unit with Paddy Seale as the lighting cameraman and that Mary's unit would have done the majority of the episodes so i guess that Mary and Christine would have swapped over but Paddy's only series 2 episode he was lighting camerman for was Ricochet which i read somewhere that Shane Rimmer came up with the episode although Tony Barwick wrote it
Old 20-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #55
JimTVFan
Travel Tube Technician

Yes to be honest i thought that like in the Coplete Book of Thunderbirds By Chris Bentley seems to indicate that the first four episodes filmed were Trapped in The Sky Pit of Peril Terror In New York City and End of the Road. Where as later puts the episodes in production order in the guide. The first four as we know were Trapped in The Sky Pit of Peril Ciry of Fire and Sun Probe. Plus i'm sure that Day of Disaster was not Dennis Spooners first episode he wrote i'm sure it was The Mighty Atom. Also Move and You're Dead was episode 8 not 9.