Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
EddieL
Computer Technician

Default Eagle in a new publication

The Eagle will be making an appearance in a new publication called Spaceships of Science Fiction.

I see it listed on the Contents page, but I have no idea what images of the Eagle they will be using. Hopefully it will be more than just a passing reference.

Cheers
Eddie
EddieL is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Steve Zodiac
Astrophysics Technician

I saw an earlier version of the cover of this a few days ago in "Heritage Railway" magazine of all places, and there was a listing of what was featured as a banner at the bottom of the design . Amongst those mentioned were "Space 1999" and "Space 2001"! "Space 2001"? How did that slip under the radar? Hope that's not indicative of how well researched it is.

I checked the publishers website for the release date but there is no mention of the book on there.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 22-02-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Steve Zodiac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Will it be a well researched and informative guide book, with lots of rare detailed photos, or a bodged together scrapbook of reprinted publicity photos with ill-informed and bland descriptions of each craft complete with multiple mis-prints (Space 2001!). Sadly my monies on the later, but I always hope to be surprised.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
gwent
Computer Technician

As Mark42 said above, that is the real question. I'm leaning towards the latter also, but we can always hope.

I wonder how those of us in the US can purchase a copy?
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Howard
Deputy Commander

It looks from the sample pages that there's a lot of character pictures, rather than ship pictures.
The Abrams Enterprise pic is badly cropped (as is the C-57D pic) - not that I'm too concerned as that's far from being anywhere near my top ten. I just hope the ships that are in my top ten are treated a little better by the magazine's layout.
As Dave says, I too hope there's some rare pics that will make this book a must have, but from what I've seen so far it doesn't look that way.

There was a website that featured scores of illustrated ships, all to scale with each other - from the Tardis to the Death Star. It would be good to see something along those lines in the centre - perhaps as a fold-out.

EDIT: Something like this:

http://conservationreport.com/2009/0...parison-chart/

Last edited by Howard; 23-02-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Adding link.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
iblaza
Alphan

Default Spaceships of science fiction

Hi guys, I am just replying to your comments on the bookazine. I came up with the initial concept of the publication and designed it too. All of your feedback is much appreciated whether negative or positive. It helps so I know what I can do better next time.

With regards to the eagle transporter there are two pages dedicated to this which also shows the different modules that fit onto it.

With regards pictures being cropped which I apologies for, a lot of these come from image libraries which come automatically cropped. A lot of the pictures came from Kurt Kuhn at modeler magic which was a great help as some pictures are really hard to come by. We have also tried to incorporate interior shots to ad atmosphere and another dimension.

Can I just thank all those who have such a talent for producing such great detailed models and which help made this happen.

I would be happy to answer any of your queries.

Thanks

Ian
iblaza is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Howard
Deputy Commander

Hi Ian,

I picked up a copy today and it's a superb publication!
The print quality is excellent - with fairly thick stock, glossy pages.

There are some stock pictures, but there are some I've never seen before - a brilliant 3/4 shot of the shuttle from Outland - the only other good reference I've seen in an early issue of Cinefex, and they were black and white.
There are a couple of model kit shots (I think the Narcissus pic is of a Halcyon build up) and some great poster art from the early days of SF cinema.

I haven't read the text yet (which is very important to me, as a writer) but will update this post with comments on the writing when I get the time.
I'm looking forward to volume 2...
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Howard
Deputy Commander

Okay, sitting down after dinner I read a few entries.
There's a letter missing here, and an extra one there in a couple of words.
Also, the intro to the Star Wars section (does SW really need an intro after all these years, as anyone buying the publication would know what's what?) reads really badly to be honest.
'Luke's parents (I'm paraphrasing) are killed.' Really?

The Space:1999 entry: 'On September 13 (the 'th' is missing) 1999 - more than 20 years in the future.'
What's missing here is: 'from when the show was first aired,' or just delete the 'more than 20 years in the future,' otherwise the sentence is a little confusing - even downright wrong.

I know, I'm nit-picking a little, but the devil's in the details - and such details such as these are important, not only to the 40 something's which seem to be the majority on this site and sites of this type, but also the casual reader, perhaps dipping into the genre for the first time.

The mag does come across as not being written by a long time fan of the subject.
I don't mean to offend - but is that right?

Little things such as missing the fact a T.I.E. fighter not having shields Vs its main opponent, the X-Wing which does spring to mind - also the Sulaco was designed to represent a knife, and to omit the fact that Jim Cameron designed the Drop Ship was a real disappointment.

The layout's a little jumbled, with a couple of pages on the Space Shuttle sitting almost squarely in the centre of the publication.
I would like to have seen the entries placed in chronological order (Event Horizon and Outland on pages 94 and 95 respectively seemed odd) as the mag seems unbalanced, and the science and the history articles linked to the tech of the subject matter read like shallow filler.

The narrative voice is a little unemotional considering the subject, and I'd like to have read a little more opinion (mixed is always good - especially considering the re-design of the JJPrise) just to get a feeling for the writer's personality - you know, someone to warm to as they're taking us on this fantastic journey across the imagination as we put our feet up to relax and read.
I know some of us just soak up factoids and info-dump boxes - and enjoy reading Top Trump type technical details, but after a while the length, width and maximum cruising speed of 'X' ship just becomes sterile as the pages turn. Perhaps a comparison chart at the back of the publication would have been better - or maybe a quote from the ship's designer - or model maker?

I know this sounds all too negative, Ian. I'm sorry about that - but I'm just being honest, with no axe to grind.

Looking through it again, there are quite a few too many kit shots (some of them not too clever, either) in the publication, rather than pictures of actual filming models. And seeing as you had Kurt's wealth of research material this surprised me - although I'm not privy to the deal you had with him regards his pictures.

Omitting the Cygnus from the Black Hole was surprising, and I'd like to have seen Nell from Battle Beyond the Stars - but hey, I realise you can't include every ship, and volume II may be on its way.
Oh, and the Outland shuttle looks fan made, now I've looked at it more closely. Is it?

Best regards,

Howard.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

I saw it at the weekend in Smiths. I picked it up, flicked through it and put it down, as it had nothing to interest me. Which considering I've been mad on spaceships for nearly 50 years is odd, but perhaps its just because I've seen it all before.
My thoughts were that it is just a bland overview of various spacecraft, it gave precious little time to each craft with the odd picture of each which was usually an often published publicity pic.
I personally would want to see a set of photos taken from every angle (top/bottom/front/back/side) and a couple of beauty pics to service each ship, with the fictional futuristic details of what the craft is supposed to be, together with the actual details of how it was built, sizes/materials/etc and filmed. That would have made it a valuable and interesting publication, as it is I see no point in its creation. Sorry to sound so negetive.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
I saw it at the weekend in Smiths. I picked it up, flicked through it and put it down, as it had nothing to interest me. Which considering I've been mad on spaceships for nearly 50 years is odd, but perhaps its just because I've seen it all before.
My thoughts were that it is just a bland overview of various spacecraft, it gave precious little time to each craft with the odd picture of each which was usually an often published publicity pic.
I personally would want to see a set of photos taken from every angle (top/bottom/front/back/side) and a couple of beauty pics to service each ship, with the fictional futuristic details of what the craft is supposed to be, together with the actual details of how it was built, sizes/materials/etc and filmed. That would have made it a valuable and interesting publication, as it is I see no point in its creation. Sorry to sound so negetive.
I couldn't have put it better myself, Mark. I, too, saw this magazine in W.H. Smiths and I thought, shall I buy this? I also put it back on the shelf. The writing, IMHO, bordered on patronizing and the pictures were like a selection of randomly "googled" images. In today's day and age, What can I really get from a magazine, that I cannot get from a forum? If they brought out a magazine specifically aimed at Gerry Anderson fans, could they answer my questions withing hours of my asking them? No.....
Could they list build projects on a daily basis? No....
Could they host active discussion between fans and builders? No.....
In short, Even if The ETF produced a monthly magazine, I would definitely subscribe but it wouldn't be anywhere near as satisfying as the real thing.
Carlsberg don't do forums but if they did.......
Darren Robertson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Robertson View Post
I couldn't have put it better myself, Mark. I, too, saw this magazine in W.H. Smiths and I thought, shall I buy this? I also put it back on the shelf. The writing, IMHO, bordered on patronizing and the pictures were like a selection of randomly "googled" images. In today's day and age, What can I really get from a magazine, that I cannot get from a forum? If they brought out a magazine specifically aimed at Gerry Anderson fans, could they answer my questions withing hours of my asking them? No.....
Could they list build projects on a daily basis? No....
Could they host active discussion between fans and builders? No.....
In short, Even if The ETF produced a monthly magazine, I would definitely subscribe but it wouldn't be anywhere near as satisfying as the real thing.
Carlsberg don't do forums but if they did.......

Well said Darren...... my thoughts too...
LMAO at the Carlsberg quote..........

Andy
wappynutter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
MADsen
Eagle Pilot

Thumbs up Spaceships of science fiction

I have just ordered the publication on the internet, because the magazine isn´t available in Denmark.. so ...

But now I can see you guy´s (from the UK..) ain´t happy with it..

Well don is don.. I´ll have a look at it when I receive it...

Darren.. Carlsberg doesn´t have a forum... then we should start our own then Do guinness have one ( I love guinness...) ??
MADsen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Swine Flu
Hydroponics Technician

Haven't seen it in our Smith's in Andover but that's hardly surprising.
There's nothing to see here, move along,move along!
Swine Flu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote