SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #41
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
I don't remember the sound, but the jeep of word war 2 (called and MB or GPW or a bantam, depending on manufacturer or model) wasn't a '2.2 liter 'anything...it wasn't metric. 134 cubic inches of raw power, if you call 40 hp raw power.

What is distinctive about it's noise isn't the engine, but the engine and transmission, the transmission makes a distinctive whine that gives it it's
trademark noise.

If there is no whine, it's possibly a 151, that doesn't make that noise.
Thanks for that. I put 2.2 litre because in England engines are measured in metric. I think cubic inches is still used in America and Australia which you quoted. The 151 you mentioned would be around 2.5 litre.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #42
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta tango View Post
Thanks for that. I put 2.2 litre because in England engines are measured in metric. I think cubic inches is still used in America and Australia which you quoted. The 151 you mentioned would be around 2.5 litre.
I'm not sure about the 151, because I don't own one of those.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #43
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
I'm not sure about the 151, because I don't own one of those.
You own a Jeep Ham Salad?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #44
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta tango View Post
You own a Jeep Ham Salad?
A 1944 GPW, yes. Took me 2 1/2 years to rebuild it, too. Horn still doesn't work right.

I thought about the 151, might still get one...would prefer a M38 though.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #45
Government surveyor
Alphan

Quote:
A 1944 GPW, yes. Took me 2 1/2 years to rebuild it, too. Horn still doesn't work right.

I had a Land Rover series 3 a few years ago. I brush painted it grey and put a yellow stripe along the side. The diesel engine was tired and the back axle and gearbox howled like a pack of wild dogs! It was unbearable over 40mph and after a few months of that on a daily 35 mile commute I sold it. I was hoping to find the actual type of Jeep that was used for the Hood's truck sound. I'd buy one just for the sound alone!! I looked at a Willys MB Jeep last year and an Austin Champ in rough condition but passed as cash was a little tight But as it's been mentioned before, the WW2 Willys etc does have a very high pitched and distinctive transmission whine.
Government surveyor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #46
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:

I love those Jeeps.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #47
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Government surveyor View Post
I had a Land Rover series 3 a few years ago. I brush painted it grey and put a yellow stripe along the side. The diesel engine was tired and the back axle and gearbox howled like a pack of wild dogs! It was unbearable over 40mph and after a few months of that on a daily 35 mile commute I sold it. I was hoping to find the actual type of Jeep that was used for the Hood's truck sound. I'd buy one just for the sound alone!! I looked at a Willys MB Jeep last year and an Austin Champ in rough condition but passed as cash was a little tight But as it's been mentioned before, the WW2 Willys etc does have a very high pitched and distinctive transmission whine.
I haven't seen an Austin Champ for years!
Old 13-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #48
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Government surveyor View Post
I had a Land Rover series 3 a few years ago. I brush painted it grey and put a yellow stripe along the side..
Yes, but did you put U.N.I.T. on it?
Old 13-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #49
Government surveyor
Alphan

Quote:
Yes, but did you put U.N.I.T. on it?
Nope, but I put a 'D' on the door just below the quarter window, just like the Hood's truck. I also painted the headlamp surrounds red but never got around to adding the spotlights on the wing tops just below the windscreen
Government surveyor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #50
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Delamar View Post
brilliant

I wonder weather the standard sounds, which you hear in lots of tv and films of the time, where from one firm? and if they are archived and catalogued somewhere?

Mike
Most ITC productions used stock sounds from "World Backgrounds" in Elstree.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #51
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Great idea!
A friend of mine tried to figure out how many layers there are in the UFO sound effect, he even tried to duplicate it with his analogo synth, to no luck.
There's two to be sure, the hum, the occilating tone that shifts up and down an octave, and perhaps another rapid 'tweet, tweet, tweet,' sound.
I think that the UFO sound effect was probably done by Barry Grey using an Ondes Matinot : a french electronic keyboard based on the earlier Theremin . The Ondes featured a keyboard, (one of the complaints about the theremin is that you have to have perfect pitch to play one, it being played by moving your hand near an aerial) and, for more therimin-like glissandoes, a ring on a wire. The Odes also had a special speaker called a 'gong'. Basically it was a speaker with a large thin plate which added a metallic echo, and was mixable with the normal speaker. Barry Grey was one of the first people in the UK who owned an Ondes, and was considered to be one of the foremost experts in electronic music in the UK, outside of the BBC radiophonic workshop.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote