Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #101
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

Either wy, that Kestrel is beautiful, an I would love to see more pictures of her...
Darren Robertson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #102
Howard
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Robertson View Post
Either wy, that Kestrel is beautiful, an I would love to see more pictures of her...
Thanks Darren!
There's a few pics on my devart page, here:

http://hswatts.deviantart.com/gallery/35855535
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #103
MADsen
Eagle Pilot

Thumbs up

Hi Howard...

Very nice pictures of the Kestrel on your devart page...

Nice craftsmanship...
MADsen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #104
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKiteman View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified my Eagle 'aeroshell' comment. I was talking about protecting the spacecraft from the heat of atmospheric reentry.

I understand that the Eagles had 'lift engines' on their 'bellies' that were used for takeoff & landings.

Thanks for the info on the failed UFO remake....
According to the UFO Movie website the Film of UFO is still slated for a 2013 release.
It should not surprise anyone that delays in Movie Production can occur for all sorts of reasons.Look at The Hobbitt and gaps between some of the Bond Films which had nothing to do with the desire to make them.
elder7uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #105
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Not exactly welcome I know,but I have never been a fan of Space 1999.As far as I'm concerned it was a just excuse to make something from the remains of a horse which was re-constructed haphazardly into a camel after the second series of UFO was cancelled.It became a rather pretentious and self conscious Star Trek imitator.Now although not a fan of Star Trek,it had imaginative and intelligent scripts.I can certainly understand it's wide appeal.

Unfortunately that does'nt stretch to Space 1999.The only concession I'd make is that the miniature effects were very good and better than the CGI we are bombarded with nowadays.

As for any remake of UFO.I agree that certain references from the series do need answering.In terms of the Aliens.It seems most have forgotten that the concept of the Aliens was changed to them being dis-embodied entities using or animating humans scrapped together from bodily parts.Human computers as it was suggested or perhaps living zombies.
Now this is truly Alien.Gone is any notion of them being humanoid anything remotely human.They are unknown,a mystery,an enigma and illogical.And that is the worst type of enemy.They have no countenance,no voice,no intelligence that you can pin down and barter with.They are playing a deadly game,not because they choose to like we might choose to have a glass of red wine.No...this is simply what they do.

For me this begins to sound like they were not from another planet at all,although to all outward appearances they gave the impression that they could have been.They were more manifestations of the universal soul.Now this is simply a development that could explain certain strange script problems with the original series.Why for example did they have numerous opportunities to kill Straker,ignore them,then later create an overly ambitious and complicated series of events to lure Starker into a position where they could finally dispose of him.

Yet despite these kinds of oversights,UFO''s originality and bondesque elements win through.

Another aspect of UFO which is clear from the series is the influence of the flying saucer phenomenon of the 50's and 60's and it's association with the certain strands of the psychic World. In my view this is one of the great appeals of the series and the all important design of the UFO saucer.An absolute instinctive stroke of design genius from Derek Meddings.A special effects tour-de-force.Any attempt to replace it would be sacrilegious.

Moreover given all of this where is the need for any Mother Ship at all.

Last edited by elder7uk; 12-04-2012 at 12:11 PM.
elder7uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #106
Darren Robertson
Astrophysics Technician

Really beautiful, Howard! I really feel it totally captures the essence of Space 1999.
This could have easily been used in the series and would have been accepted by all who saw it. I love it!
Darren Robertson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #107
manoil
Geological Technician

NICE DESIGN....
manoil is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote