Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
matteline
Life Support Technician

Default Nautilus from 'Captain Nemo & the Underwater City'

I'm not sure how many people know of this movie. It's from the late 1960s and stars Chuck Connors and Robert Ryan as Captain Nemo. It used to show on TV during Summer Holidays when I was kid... Irwin Allen's 'The Lost World' and the Vincent Price 'City Beneath the Sea' seemed to be in the time slot or season. All fun stuff when you're a kid.
Anyway, the Nautilus in the movie has always stuck with me as a very appealing design. It is totally different from THE Nautilus in the Disney movie (which I adore). But this one really works. The model work is pretty good (all dry for what by George Gibbs and Richard Conway I believe). But you don't get a very good look at the ship, certainly not too many details and it is often dark and murky. I recently purchased the movie on DVD (in cinemascope) so at least you can now see more of it.

When I get some time I will do some screen grabs and see if I can piece it together and build a model. I think I have a still in a book called 'Movie Magic' by John Brosnan and there is a still inside of the MGM Elstree model shop (1970?) and the Nautilus is lying on a desk in the background.

Does anyone remember this movie? or the ship? Better still does anyone access to any reference stills?
matteline is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

I like this sub too but the rest of the movie never kept my interest.

Still fun though...

Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

But something that did capture my interest was more Flying Sub footage from this movie...

Old 30-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
But something that did capture my interest was more Flying Sub footage from this movie...
Yes, the Flying Sub is impressive too. Irwin Allen smartly reused the Flying Sub set, model and footage after Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea ended in 1968 for this 1971 City Beneath The Sea movie.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteline View Post
I'm not sure how many people know of this movie. It's from the late 1960s and stars Chuck Connors and Robert Ryan as Captain Nemo. It used to show on TV during Summer Holidays when I was kid... Irwin Allen's 'The Lost World' and the Vincent Price 'City Beneath the Sea' seemed to be in the time slot or season. All fun stuff when you're a kid.
Anyway, the Nautilus in the movie has always stuck with me as a very appealing design. It is totally different from THE Nautilus in the Disney movie (which I adore). But this one really works. The model work is pretty good (all dry for what by George Gibbs and Richard Conway I believe). But you don't get a very good look at the ship, certainly not too many details and it is often dark and murky. I recently purchased the movie on DVD (in cinemascope) so at least you can now see more of it.

When I get some time I will do some screen grabs and see if I can piece it together and build a model. I think I have a still in a book called 'Movie Magic' by John Brosnan and there is a still inside of the MGM Elstree model shop (1970?) and the Nautilus is lying on a desk in the background.

Does anyone remember this movie? or the ship? Better still does anyone access to any reference stills?
I believe this Nautilus model was auctioned last season on the SyFy channel series about film & television items.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

I remember it. Written by Pip and Jane Baker, authors of such classics as 'The Night of the Big Heat' and some of the Worst Doctor Who stories of the 1980s
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Hey, I like "Night of the Big Heat"

I remember being quite excited when I first saw the film and there was the flying sub from Voyage, it was like seeing an old friend, and in my mind I connected the two. I was a weird kid
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
McTodd
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteline View Post
...a still in a book called 'Movie Magic' by John Brosnan and there is a still inside of the MGM Elstree model shop (1970?) and the Nautilus is lying on a desk in the background.
I have that book and it's not in there. It is, however, in Raymond Fielding's classic book on vfx:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7209/7...667ea235_b.jpg

Also, a filming miniature was auctioned off a while ago and I managed to get the only two images of it from the auction site:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7236/6...2c7c656b_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7279/6...134c09d8_b.jpg

Good luck if you build a model of it, along with the Disney/Goff Nautilus and the Albatross in Master of the World it's one of my favourite Vernian movie miniatures!
McTodd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
S P Stewart
Travel Tube Technician

I remember going to see 'The amazing catain nemo' at our local cinema. What a terrible film, but I remember seeing bits of eagle kits used in the nautilus.
S P Stewart is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
S P Stewart
Travel Tube Technician

Sorry it was the bad guys sub that had the eagle bits!
S P Stewart is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

I remember it - strangely enough, it was my Gran's favorite movie.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
B Smith
Alphan

Looking at that YouTube clip up there, at 6.45 that's a very Jupiter 2ish bit of "Architecture" they're passing.
B Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

I do believe you are right, the top of the tower looks like a J2, perhaps have mould, will travel?

Good Spot..!
Old 17-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #14
swhite40
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
I do believe you are right, the top of the tower looks like a J2, perhaps have mould, will travel?

Good Spot..!
No mold it was one of the J2 minatures used in filming LiS.
http://www.iann.net/lis/behindscenes...piter2_003.htm
swhite40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
matteline
Life Support Technician

McTodd - thanks for the correction on the MGM prop-shop still. I knew it was one of the handful of VFX books available many years ago. Sorry for the honest mistake. I'm betting those are V1a from 'Operation:Crossbow back there.
The other book I recall was 'The Saga of Special Effects'.
matteline is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #16
McTodd
Travel Tube Technician

No need to apologise, it's such an absurdly obscure bit of information it was sheer chance I knew it!
McTodd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
shornak
Medical Technician

Just watched an episode of Hollywood Treasures on Syfy where they showed this model. Pretty detailed. I thought it was cool that I actually knew what it was.
shornak is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote