Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #101
Captain Cyan
Computer Technician

As a newcomer,I salute all of you gentlemen,and the ladies too,my favorite laser tank(influenced that decision no doubt by the fact I own the PM Gift Set)is the one with the bubble canopy.
Of course I consider beautifully designed the Eagle-beaked one,but it seems to me that a surface recon&combat vehicle over all as to have maximum visibility for their crewmembers,and that type of canopy gives it.Of course is very vulnerable too,not only to a possible attack but to the smallest of micro-meteorites that in the moon surface aren't infrecuent.Salutations.
Captain Cyan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #102
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

I prefferred the "Eagle Beak". Better protection does not equal lower visibility when you can have cameras and screens to show what is to the sides, above, and behind you.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #103
Captain Cyan
Computer Technician

In a combat vehicle you're right,Mr. Turner,but the bubble canopy one always has seemed to me more destined to investigation and search chores than combat.Of course,cut off from Earth,moon base Alpha has to use every vehicle it has in order to counter the possible alien menaces.Alltough not directly related with this theme I've always had found difficult to grasp why didn't they use moon minig to extract the minerals and materials needed to repair and repose their damaged or destroyed vehicles and in the making of new ones.
Old 24-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #104
Tony_Cellini
Hydroponics Technician

Eagle Beak.
Tony_Cellini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #105
shornak
Medical Technician

I don't think think it would matter what tank your in for safety. One laser blast from Gwent and each tank completely blew up.
shornak is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #106
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Cpt. Cyan. I understood that, and I never thought the bubble canopy was in any way unrealistic. I thought it was exaxtly as you describe - a vehicle originally designed for something else which has been pressganged into service when the need arose. something which helped sell the 'realism' of the series to me.

I still prefer the eagle beak version as it appeared to be the one design that was supposed to be a combat vehicle - even though as Shornak says, one hit and they blew up no natter which variant it was. It seemed to me the eagle beak version would have the better sensors and therefore be able to target more accurately and at longer ranges than the other variants, which may have had to rely more on the old Mk. 1 Orbis (Eyeball to you).

And mining on the moon may be closer to reality today than it ever has been before now that water ice has been discovered on the moon. Water for drinking or oxygen for breathing and hydrogen for fuel. Moonbase Alpha, here we come!
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #107
Captain Cyan
Computer Technician

It has been one premise of the series that although civilian in essence they and all their equipment had a tendency to the military application.The interchangeability(I hope to have written the word correctly)of the beak from Eagle to tank and viceversa seems to demonstrate it.The mining is the logical way to create a self maintainning colony in the Moon,that is what Alpha is,more than a mere base.Maybe in the future,and I hope both of us could see it,as is said in a Star Trek movie our satellite will be populated with over fifty million people!.Salutations and thanks for your answer.