Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Default Oops!

You know how it is... you see an idea that someone used to great success, so you have a go... and cock it up.
That happened to me... I saw a thread about PE ShadoMobiles and their awful weathering... and someone used nail varnish remover to remove the excessive camo pattern.
Well, I looked at my PE SPV (with the blade antenna yet to be glued back on) and thought... yeah, would look beautiful without the sludge all over it.

Oh dear... it worked a little too well
Not only did the sludge come off, but so did the decals, other markings and even some of the blue on the side!
AAAAaaaaaaargghhhh!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-19 19.36.10.jpg (36.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-19 19.36.25.jpg (193.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-19 19.38.30.jpg (38.7 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by TV21Dalek; 20-07-2012 at 07:01 AM.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Nail varnish remover is basically a cellulose thinner based on Acetone, be warned people it is a very aggressive solvent

I feel your pain but it might be just the chance you need to repaint and decal this toy into a more scale representation of the SPV. There is a great product called decal paper made by the Crafty Computer Paper company in the UK for just such emergencies as this...

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/default.aspx

They produce both a laser and inkjet version, white letters can be cut from paper address labels (yes really) or used as paper masks for spray lettering. Run the outline of the letters through a printer at the correct size, use a sharp scalpel to cut the label trying to leave the backing intact. Remove the letters leaving the surrounding paper to be used as a mask.

I have just acquired some scrap Dinky vehicles to modify in just such a fashion. It will be fun and I can't destroy something that is already scrap I guess....
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

You know the bit in "Alien" when they cut the leg of the face-hugger, the acid spurts out and eats through the floor? That's acetone on expanded polystyrene. It's also a component of plastic cement and plastic filler. I'd be very careful using it on anything plastic.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I use acetone for removing paint from PVC and soft vinyl but I didn't think nail varnish remover would be THAT powerful.

But yes, I can see how I can turn it my advantage. Seal the door, fill the gap around the button on the door... yes, I think you're right, Captain... this AND the Dinky FAB1... oh dear me.

At least this one doesn't need a plastic canopy which is a) clear and b) fits
Old 23-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Back in the late 60's when I was a mere sprog I had the Century 21 plastic Angel Interceptor. After a while I decided to paint it black (cant remember why exactly, but I think it was something to do with it being "Mysteronised") Anyway, I didn't like the black look so decided to revert it back to white but rather than overpainting it I slapped on a coating of paint stripper that I found in the garden shed.
Long story short, I was left with a blob of melted plastic.
The only thing I managed to save was the missile firing mechanism & rockets.
Years later I picked up a replacement at a vintage toy fair, the only thing missing were the rockets which I still had.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

As a complete aside from the SPV thrust of this thread....

I have to say that the C21 Angel toy is the most accurate representation of the original model I have every seen, the panel details are just about perfect and I would love to find another one.

Carry on...
Old 25-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I've never seen one of those Angels in the flesh
Is it bigger than the Airfix kit?
Old 27-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Yes, by a considerable margin, I would say that its about 1/48 scale and as the Cap'n says, its one of the most screen accurate toys ever made from an Anderson series.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #9
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Here is a link to a library picture, I am sure the model is between 12" and 14" in length. The panel markings are superb.

http://www.metropolistoys.co.uk/albumdet.asp?id=681
Old 28-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I just did a Google image search for the toy... and my god it's a beauty. It looks so fragile too... I wonder how many actually survived to the present day?

Old 28-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

TV21D, I feel sorry for you, but these days there are at least 2 types of nail varnish remover because most of them have gone "Acetone Free". I presume that is what the person you refer to used, and you managed to get hold of some that still contained Acetone.

Hope you manage to repair it to a satisfactory standard.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I'm looking at it with my positive glasses on. I dropped it some time ago and lost the blade antenna from the upper intake housing, and the whip antennae.
I'm going to use the accident to try and make some changes to it, specifically the operating door. It's got a truly badly designed release button, so I will fix it, and the door in place and leave it as a non-functioning item. I never really 'played' with the door anyway.

I'll take it apart, respray the shell, mark out the panels and add new decals from Imai and Airfix kits, as well as sourcing the 'SPV' letters from somewhere.
It's a restoration project I didn't want, but through my own folly I've no option

I love the model, but I actually prefer the smaller Corgi one... it just looks more accurate shape-wise.

Does anyone know which font was used for the 'SPV' lettering?
Old 28-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

I think the font could be "Compacta MT bold" (or "Compacta Bd bold" if there is any difference)
Its worth a look anyway.

Oh, I think Uncle Bill was doing Spectrum roundels (various sizes) at one stage, or even try people making Spectrum puppets, as small roundels are used on the puppet sleeves.

Again, its worth a try.

Last edited by Big Rab; 28-07-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Big Rab is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Thanks Rab... I think the puppet sleeves may be too big, but I'll ask Uncle Bill.