Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Default Vivid SPC... toy upgrade

Inspired by Transporter's upgrading of the Dinky Spectrum Patrol Car/Spectrum Saloon I thought I might like to try something similar while I hunt for original clear parts for my Dinky FAB1.
Rather than use the Dinky SPC I thought I would start smaller, and use the 1993 Vivid Imagination version.

The toy is 3" long exactly, which with a given length of 18 feet makes it exactly 1/72 scale, which is handy.
The car is cast in metal with a plastic base and rather featureless oversize wheels. There is also an opening rear body section

So, first thing I did was to take the thing apart. I removed the clear parts, which are held in by securely... so naturally I cracked the windscreen...

Luckily the windscreen and side windows are flat so replacements will be easy to produce.

The rear hatch had the hinge removed and superglued to the rest of the body.
As far as shape goes it certainly captures the look of the car when you can't see those stupid-looking wheels.

I cut down the huge screw mounts and sanded the underside. The holes will be backed by plasticard and filled/sanded flush.
Next I looked for replacement wheels... and looked at one of my duplicate Tomica Limited Toyota Crown Comfort Tokyo taxi models.

Although 1/64 scale the wheels are a perfect match in size and the hubs are a passable likeness of the prop's wheels.
After hacking the Toyota apart I fixed the wheels into the channels on the chassis and superglued small squares of plasticard over them to keep them in place.

Unfortunately this left a see-through effect for the front wheels, so I added a small piece of scrap plastic to the areas under the instrument shroud.

I then loosely reassembled the car to see how it looked... and I was very happy with the result.

Next thing to do is strip the factory paint away, add some surface detail in the form of small strips which should be silver, and respray. I have also drilled a small hole in the roof to accept an antenna.
I will also need to fill the gaps on top and at the rear of the now-fixed rear cover.

All in all, this is a fun project, and thanks to Transporter for putting the idea into my head

As for the markings... not sure as yet, but I'll find some.

Last edited by TV21Dalek; 22-07-2012 at 11:10 AM.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

The paint is taking time to come off, but it IS coming off. I'll upload some more pics of the car in it bare form, then I can start to add some of the missing details and fill the hinge gaps on top.
Old 24-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Well, I got most of the paint from the shell, and the rest should come off easily enough. I'm surprised at how nice this little model is... certainly the equal of the Dinky version.

I felt the car needed a driver so looked around for a 1/72 seated chap... then hit on an idea... and realised what I needed was in here:

Yes the Captain Scarlet figure in the Corgi SPV is 1/72 scale! And here he is in his new ride:

I then put it all back together to see how it looked... and I am still loving this car.

Next will be to repaint the figure, prime the shell after filling some gaps... and cut out some acetate for the windows.
Old 25-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Surprising what a difference changing the wheels has made. I am planning to take a crack at this myself as I think with some work there is much that can improve the scarlet die cast models.

TonyB mentioned some wargaming figures that might be promising to use as drivers, made by Crooked dice. A whole world of possibilities open up....

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/store2.html#armedastros

Space: 1999, Captain Scarlet and more....
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

"The Man from 3000" would certainly look good with a certain Dinky Mini-moke.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I had thought about them, but they might be too big at 28mm. The one from the Corgi SPV that I used fitted almost perfectly (had to amputate his feet).

That SPV is a lovely model, by the way. The door button is extremely well disguised as a roof hatch. and it has the front wheels operating a missile/gun cover which is at least the correct shape.
Just wish Corgi wouldn't use such a highly reflective gold for their Spectrum roundels.
Old 25-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
hwels
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
The one from the Corgi SPV that I used fitted almost perfectly (had to amputate his feet)
Wasn't Captain Scarlet supposed to be indestructible?
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Oooh... so they might grow back?
Old 26-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

You can bet your boots on it...
Old 28-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I have the whole of next week off, so, providing the wind and rain stop, I should be able to complete this pretty quickly.
I'll prime it with matt grey or red, and then a top coat of Tamiya or Humbrol gloss red. Tamiya's is a finer pigment so maybe that one.

No idea where to get door decals though... this is a small car and I can't think of any easily available models which have 6mm Spectrum roundels.

Any suggestions?

Old 28-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I now have the Dinky ancestor of this, so I'll do the same kind of thing with that (at least Airfix Angel decals will fit the doors on that).

Old 28-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

You seek Uncle Bill, he can produce many sizes of Spectrum roundels as a rub down, I have some they are brilliant.

He's a member here, send him a PM.
Old 29-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I sent him a PM Captain, so fingers crossed he'll get back to me
Old 30-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Right, that's the gaps filled, now need a break in the weather so I can get the primer on it.
Old 31-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

The SPC has been repainted Humbrol Ferrari Red.

Next up is all of the silver detailing... fun with Bare Metal Foil