Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 25-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Default What Arthur Provis did next - Paul Starr

Those of you who remember the Arthur Provis / Roberta Leigh produced "Space Patrol" might find this interesting : The untransmitted colour pilot for "Paul Starr", their follow-up series. It's interesting to see where they were at the time that Gerry was cooking up "Thunderbirds".

Featuring no less a person than a certain Mr. Ed Bishop as Paul Starr, agent of the Space Bureau of Investigation, and a rather racist japanese caricature called "Lightning". The robots look highly derivative of the Daleks, and the plot seems rather strange. Interestingly enough, the martian nuclear generator seems to be made largely from old gearboxes.

is MrTrimble, poster of this, on the board?

Enjoy..
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Very peculiar design for the ship....
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
RCnut
Communications Officer

Thank god that never took off, couldnt see anybody making models of a solarscope almost fifty years on.
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Funny you should say that, because this weekend, I was exploring YouTube and found that the Provis / Leigh team then attempted a live action re-jig of this idea, called "Solarnauts". It owes a lot in style, pace and music to "The Man From UNCLE", and features Derek Fowlds - better known from "Yes Minister"(!!!) - as one of the two heroes, as well as Alex Scott as the villain, doing practically the same performance as the bad guy "Logik" as he would later on as the Sidon Council member in "Voyager's Return".

Also appearing is "Fearless" Frank Maher, as the green guard who gets hoist by his own petard, and George Roubicek, who would later get to inform Darth Vader about what a danger Princess Leia would turn out to be.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/if76Vhqxzf0
Old 07-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Eagle-2
Chief Eagle Pilot

Oh dear. It does look like a cheap knock-off doesn't it? A noteable lack of detailing in the model work, and no-one seems to have realised that high-speed cameras really do help make effects shots look more realistic!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

Have to agree with Ham Salad - the Solarscope is almost a caricature straight out of Futurama! And it would be a merchandising nightmare, what with those four pointy bits so close to little Johnny's eyes!

And the generic 'Asian' lead appears to be a marketing gambit for our friends in the East.

Anyone for a Pilling egg?

Last edited by Fun Pod; 10-07-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: The series deserved it.
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I have the Space Patrol DVD set and the Solarnauts, Paul Starr and some other rather twee puppet episodes are featured as extras.

The robots in "Paul Starr" are clearly Dalek rip-offs, even down to the sucker! It's hard to believe that they thought it would sell... Starr is a grouch, Lightning is just pointless, and the ship so uninspiring. What I find rather disturbing about this is that the puppets are so ugly... as are the Space Patrol ones.
Look at Fireball and the puppets look so much better, and the sets are more detailed and believable.

As for "the Solarnauts"... Mr Derek from Basil Brush meets Hammer Gal Martine Beswick in a production which has some nice moments, but just looks bland and cheap. Makes "Star Maidens" look like high art.

I actually used the Paul Starr robots in a comic some years ago, heh heh
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

There's some elements of "Solarnauts" that look so quaint. For example, Martine Beswick's "Lady's Space Helmet", complete with bow. But the rest of the project just looks so dated, especially when you realise that things like Captain Scarlet and 2001 were just round the corner.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
tibbington
Medical Technician

Oh my Thunderbirds A$$ im glad that show never made it to tv it looks like the underwater scenes were in a bath tub its copying stingray with the ocean door thing and the rocket leaping out of the water i thought the stingray and the mechanical fish did that

good thing is theres no strings visible and the mouth movement is more realistic
tibbington is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
Face Ache
Eagle Pilot

Hmm... I know I've seen this design somewhere before...

Oh, wait! Now I remember!

Face Ache is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
tibbington
Medical Technician

If gerry anderson had made it i would watch it iadmit the story line is good and the whole idea isnt too bad but the models really put it off
tibbington is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

There's flashes of brilliance in "Solarnauts". The green corridors of the alien base, for instance, stand up very well, and Alex Scott (playing Logik, the villain) ended up reprising his part as the Council of Sidon. The whole thing is very well-edited and has a nice pace to it. Unfortunately, the effects and the models let it down.

Mind you, this isn't the worst of it. Try watching "Send for Dithers"....