Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office > Cap'n on Deck

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Mike Reader passes the torch....

Hi Guys,

I have a great announcement.

Mike Reader the skilled engineer who has serviced the scratch building community with aluminium turned parts is in the UK will be meeting with me tomorrow (Sunday 11th July). We have agreed a transfer of tools and drawings to keep his products available to builders. Mike decided to stop manufacturer earlier this year during a period of recuperation where he had time to reflect on his situation. Mike has been an engineer for 33 years making military spec parts for aircraft and submarines and currently works repairing every type of farm machinery you can think of. He has been producing engine bells and other parts for the last 12 years and now considers himself in semi-retirement.

Mike and I have been discussing this situation for the last several months, he loves what we do on this forum and is delighted that we are taking up the baton from him. In return I am honoured he is giving me the chance to continue his work and I am sure he won't be a stranger here.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
MADsen
Eagle Pilot

Thumbs up Mike Reader passes the torch....

Hi Cap´n....

Thats really really great news..

Looking forward too this... Give a heads up when it starts to roll again...

Say hi too Mike...

Lars
MADsen is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Lee S
Eagle Pilot

Great news! Glad someone is taking them on and keeping the goodies flowing!
Lee S is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
TRANSPORTER EAGLE
Hydroponics Technician

Dear Captain Sci-Fi ,great news! I will post it on my page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/EAG...99/46567890884

Many thanks for your nice info :-)
TRANSPORTER EAGLE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Mikekey
Chef

Sooooo pleased to hear this! Put me down for a full set of bells for my 22" PE Transporter Eagle once you get up and running! =)
Mikekey is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Lee S
Eagle Pilot

I'm after 6 22" engine bells when you get going (upgrading a lab eagle with booster pack)
Lee S is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlamer View Post
Two things....
#1. I have been waiting for things and I'm still waiting. Last month I sent an email for 4 laser cut disc (you sell the sets in the store) and no reply. You seem to have an awful lot of projects already on the go and busy with your job, website, store, main mission kit to take on even more??
#2. If you sell them in UK prices with the exchange rate they will be twice as expensive and not be affordable to USA/CAN customers.
Hi Richard,

#1. For the discs, did you make an order? What is it you need help with exactly apart from the free stuff I offered to help you with? I am still working on those window frames, they are more challenging than I thought but I will get there

#2. I think your complaint about making the bells in the UK is a bit shallow. There are a lot of builders here in Europe, would you deny them in exactly the same way?

Mike was supplying and supporting builders for 20 years based in Canada and NOW you complain, it's time to share mate.

I'll tell you what I will do, I will CAD all Mike's drawings and publish them here then if you wish you can get a local engineer to make you some. Will this make you happy? I asked his permission to do exactly that when we met, he was being extraordinarily generous and I wanted to share his work with everyone. I am currently writing a feature on Mike to add to the forum's knowledge base.

Like every resource it takes time to build, organise and publish information, how about offering to help out rather than stand on the sidelines moaning. I do accept the criticism about taking on too much, including making window frames for you as a favour, I'll pull back from those favours and think carefully before I take on any other work. I still have to earn my living and all the stuff I do in my spare time to help friends will need to take a back seat. I guess I could take the opposite view and charge for everything I do, I would need to take less other professional work as my hobby would start to generate my income.

Things can change and sometimes not always in our control, I try really hard to do my best and feel bad when I have to let some people down, hopefully they will understand and accept this. All help is appreciated, I especially like to make partnerships with builders and have decided this is the best way forward. In an attempt to try to free more of my time and resources I have started to contract out some of my own kit production to other builders on the forum, it's proving to be successful and I will do this more.

You are welcome to PM me Richard if there is an outstanding order, I can't find one that you have made.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Mikekey
Chef

What news, Captain Sci-Fi?

I'm really looking forward to the prospect of "blinging" my PE 22" with some nice aluminium bells!

Cheers, Mike
Old 02-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
nivektunk
Geological Technician

Great news. I am in need of some goodies and was disheartened when I heard the news originally. I new to kit out a 44" lab pod.
Cheers,
Kevin
nivektunk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
JayCub
Weapons Technician

is it still possible to buy the engine bells for the 12" and 23" eagles, any information will be gratefully excepted
JayCub is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hi Guys,

I have completed the CAD drawings for most of the parts needed from Mike Readers original pen and ink drawings. I had to stop temporarily due to ill health but will be back to work soon.

Here is a quick chart which is not finished totally but will give a good idea of what will be available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine Bell chart.jpg (79.7 KB, 143 views)
Old 25-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
JayCub
Weapons Technician

Thank you for the update Captain, i hope you feel better soon, as im sure to check back on your progress
JayCub is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Mikekey
Chef

Fantastic news! Glad you're feeling better! =D =D =D =D =D =D
Old 24-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
Mikekey
Chef

Any update? Are bells in production yet?
Old 24-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

I am about to release a 22"/23" bell set. The 12" set will be available early December.

Old 24-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

Great news, jingle bells...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKVIEW View Post
Great news, jingle bells...
LOL, I see what you did there….
Old 25-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Mikekey
Chef

Fantastic - I've been wondering what to put on my Christmas list!
Old 13-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Mikekey
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
I am about to release a 22"/23" bell set. The 12" set will be available early December.
Are the 22"/23" bells available to order yet?
Old 27-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #20
ghartanker
Alphan

Quote:
I have completed the CAD drawings for most of the parts needed from Mike Readers original pen and ink drawings. I had to stop temporarily due to ill health but will be back to work soon.

Here is a quick chart which is not finished totally but will give a good idea of what will be available.
Hope you're feeling better!

By the way...is there any development on the output of the CAD file?
Have a nice day!
ghartanker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote