Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Launch Crater

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #101
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Looking at this big FAB1, the Dinky is not really as bad as I first thought.

(pic linked from sixtiescity.com)
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #102
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

The scale of these things is elastic.
Although the puppet car is really great, it's far too big.

When you see it in model shots its with 1/24th / 1/25th cars

I think the puppet version's nose slants up because they had the grill a little too big, and the 2 fixes were to slant it forward too far, or change the nose angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg btsfab1-3.jpg (128.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg thunderbirdsarego719un4.1158.jpg (68.2 KB, 31 views)
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #103
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Transporter... I see the puppet version has 4 doors like the DInky one. So.... bit of a random idea... providing it fitted, if you put the Corgi canopy onto the Dinky body would that give you a closer version to the puppet model?
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #104
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Thanks for the idea, TV21Dalek, and your comments, portland182. For me, the problem with the Corgi FAB1 is, that it is too massive. And the canopy is too bubbly (too high and too round).

I tried out your suggestion, and also the Corgi FAB1 canopy more or less fits the Dinky FAB1's body, it doesn't really look good. I also tried to switch the wheels but they are a bit too big - apart from the fact that their shape is not accurate neither.

Another interesting fact is, that the mechanics inside the Corgi FAB1, match exactly the ones from the Dinky model. Maybe the dimensions are not 100% identical, but the functions are the same.

Last edited by Transporter; 29-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 30-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #105
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

So there are 40 years between the two FAB 1 models, and the technology for the working features hasn't advanced? That's a shocker!

As for the canopy... it sounds as if it would be a horrible mess of a car Me and my daft ideas...

Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #106
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I got another couple of issues of TV Century 21 this morning and while I was reading it, I noticed a strip called "The Investigator", which was new to me, and there was this:

It only has 4 wheels, but a familiar bubble canopy and large square headlights. So, in the world of TV21, will the Rolls Royce family have this particular look?
I actually quite like this.
I don't see the rear end, though.

Sorry for going a little off topic, but I just wanted to show what could be a possible conversion project

Last edited by TV21Dalek; 01-09-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #107
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
providing it fitted, if you put the Corgi canopy onto the Dinky body would that give you a closer version to the puppet model?
How about the reverse?

Put the slightly better Dinky canopy on the Corgi car?

Please post pics of both!

Cheers

Jim
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #108
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
So there are 40 years between the two FAB 1 models, and the technology for the working features hasn't advanced? ,.
Avoiding re-tooling costs is more probable.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #109
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Hello Gents!
I've been watching this thread for a while now; very interesting... I really must get hold of a Dinky FAB 1 too! I've not seen one for over 40 years - since the original that I had got dropped and the bottom just popped off! It probably got thrown away after that
I have a couple of the Corgi versions and quite them - one normal, and one in the pearlescent finish.
I think as to which is the more accurate is, as has been touched on here, down to the original TV version chosen to work from, as some of the production shots shown here are very close to the Corgi, and yet others favour the Dinky! I suppose in both cases, the modellers from Dinky and Dinky both had to make compromises from available photo's of the original studio models that differ dramatically, and produce what to them is the most pleasing design compromise!!
I seem to remember the Dinky being a bit lower and more 'raked' than the Corgi, and with a definitely more low-profile canopy, and the chassis maybe a little wider too, but as I say, I haven't seen one up close for 40-odd years, and I'm twice as big as I was back then too!! Maybe that's why it always seems bigger to me, in my mind!
Good luck with finding a canopy that fits correctly; if I also pick one up from Ebay, I may well have to on the canopy hunt too!!
Looking at many offered on Ebay, many that claim to be 100% original, some even with age-yellowed canopies, it looks like a lot of those canopies don't fit correctly either -too short - just like the repro's, so I wonder if this was a case that many original Dinky's shipped with small canopies?
I just cannot remember whether the canopy on mine fitted flush to the end of the deck or not.. It certainly was an original first issue; I think I got it for a birthday or Christmas around the same time I also got my original green 101 Thunderbird 2 (which of course I sadly no longer have :-( )
Oh well! I did manage to get a very nice turquoise 101 TB-2 a few years back, so I'm happy with that! :-)
Anyway... FAB 1.. must go back and scour Ebay again!
Cheers,
Steve.
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #110
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Good luck with the hunt Yarvelling

I think the consensus is that the Dinky FAB1, while a little too long at the rear is certainly the better of the two 1/43 items. Corgi's seems a little too square and the canopy seems more like the puppet-scale version than the road models.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #111
Andrew
Alphan

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=271073034008

Is this the fab,1 canopy you are after?
Andrew is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #112
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Actually yes, Andrew and to ETF! So, are you the seller?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #113
Andrew
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Actually yes, Andrew and to ETF! So, are you the seller?
Hi thanks for the wellcome
Yes i am the seller.
I also have an original front fab1 grill with the Spirit of Ecstasy emblem complete...Drool drool !!
I have not put this on e-bay yet.
Getting back to the canopy. It is off a version 2 fab1. These hoods were made from Styrene a very toxic plastic mix, so later versions had a different plastic molding.Version 3 had it removed i am told but cannot confirm this 100%
I personally prefer the styrene hoods, they feel like they belong in the sixties! sadly however they can warp sometimes. The styrene hood i have on E-bay is not warped and is in good shape with no cracks and good to see through. I had intended to use it myself but got lucky and bought a complete version 2 that i'm quite happy with at the rebok toy fair this sunday gone.
I think dinky fab1's are probably the best car they made in the 60's.
Ok thunderbird 2 is good. I remember as a kid sniffing the glue in the cargo area and getting a bit dizzy. Ahh memories...
Andrew is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #114
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I notice that, just like the replica hoods that one half is shorter than the other. If that's the case then any copy of this version of the hood will have that distortion. So for the best fit I think we need copies of the first version.

Thanks for giving us that link Andrew... I think it answers at least one question about the hood copies.