Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #61
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

White glue (PVA) using a syringe is the usual method, if the glue forms a "peak" when applied, leave until it is starting to set and using a dampened paintbrush smooth the top into the round shape you are looking for.

Good luck
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #62
Neo-Uk
Computer Technician

Thanks Bernie.I'll give it a go, but why in a syringe ?
Neo-Uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #63
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Really enjoying watching this build ( hiccups and all !) . Great work on an unusual subject .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #64
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Uk View Post
Thanks Bernie.I'll give it a go, but why in a syringe ?
It makes the application as uniform as possible especially if you use a little fine bore tube in the end of the syringe.

One other technique presented itself, I buy materials from a super store called Hobby Craft. They sell a lot of shapes used to "bling" home made greeting & special occasion cards and for making your own jewellery (yes really) including self adhesive hemisphere's. This things come card mounted down to less than 1 mm in diameter and best of all the are relatively cheap. They also make google eyes for puppet and doll makers in several sizes.

It would be perfectly possible to stick a bunch to a bit of sheet styrene and take a plastercine mould from them. Cast them out in PVA glue and use superglue to stick them in place. I will try to find some in my bits box and upload an image.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #65
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
It makes the application as uniform as possible especially if you use a little fine bore tube in the end of the syringe.

One other technique presented itself, I buy materials from a super store called Hobby Craft. They sell a lot of shapes used to "bling" home made greeting & special occasion cards and for making your own jewellery (yes really) including self adhesive hemisphere's. This things come card mounted down to less than 1 mm in diameter and best of all the are relatively cheap. They also make google eyes for puppet and doll makers in several sizes.

It would be perfectly possible to stick a bunch to a bit of sheet styrene and take a plastercine mould from them. Cast them out in PVA glue and use superglue to stick them in place. I will try to find some in my bits box and upload an image.
I also frequent Hobbycraft for some odds 'n'sods . They do a range of split-pins or "Brads" which are perfect for rivets . At about 3-4mm they might be ideal for the job . I use a pin-drill to bore a hole and then simply fix the "rivet" with a drop of super-glue .

( Here they are on the shoulder armour of my w.i.p 12" Space Marine )

Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #66
Neo-Uk
Computer Technician

Just finished the aluminium handrails for my Warlords diving bell. I bent them with a mini pipe bending kit I've had for year ( great fun )

Last edited by Neo-Uk; 05-10-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #67
Neo-Uk
Computer Technician

The diving bell parts ready to be sprayed

Old 05-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #68
Neo-Uk
Computer Technician

I've nearly finished this now.
The paint scheme I've settled on is a mixture of these two

and
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #69
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Wow ! The work that's gone into this really shows . Excellent piece , looks like a studio miniature . Fantastic stuff .
Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #70
Howard
Deputy Commander

That looks bloody fantastic - great film too, although I kinda liked the Mole from At the Eath's core. That would make a great build.
I love the paint effect you've achieved with this, and the rivets look just right.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #71
Neo-Uk
Computer Technician

Thanks for the nice comments peeps.
Mission accomplished ..

Old 23-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #72
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

Fantastic... Well interesting loved that fact you visited the original ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #73
Neo-Uk
Computer Technician

Well Darkview....
After seeing the film years ago and always wanting a model of the diving Bell I found the actual prop while on holiday (it was a water feature in a marina ), I took a few pictures but this was before the advent of digital cameras and a lot never came out very good.Fast forward a fair amount of years (probably 10-12) to when I actually think about starting the build, it had gone, the habour got a re-vamp and it was sold or trashed (no one knew). Fast foward more years,I finally found it on ebay.
So after talking to the seller I was on my way to see the actual diving bell prop used in the film.So after a 250 mile round trip I got loads of reference pics and was ready to begin.......
Old 24-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #74
Dave
Communications Officer

That is brilliant Neo, well done!!
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #75
comet
Hydroponics Technician

That is indeed a beautiful model, and I love the attention to detail. Fantastic work, and nice to see one of the more unusual and obscure film props being created. I've followed this build with interest.

Dave.
comet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote