Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #101
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Love the cover art, exciting or what...!
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #102
BLAM! Venturer
Hydroponics Technician

issue #1 of CLASSIC SPACE:1999-- the remastered reprints--digital version is now available for sale on comixology
BLAM! Venturer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #103
gwent
Computer Technician

It's a real shame these are only available as a "rental" from comixology. Funny how you use the term "sale" when even the comixology terms of service state that you are not actually buying anything, you're just granted a license to view it on their site. Too bad.

I'd love to "buy" this, but not rent it.
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #104
gwent
Computer Technician

Okay, as I mentioned in the other thread, I caved in and decided to overlook my disappointment with the distribution of these on Comixology, and give them a shot.

Feelings aside on how I feel about Comixology, this 1st issue of the "classic" comics has a serious issue - the aspect ratio is wrong on many if not most of the panels!

I noticed right away that something was "off" - everybody was squished in a bit and stretched vertically. Then I started noticing planets, glowing green orbs, etc - all were oval instead of round. Take a look at the pages with the glowing orb early in the comic - none of those panels show the orb as round, they are all oval a bit - just enough to mess with how everybody looks.

Yet take a look at the page with the year two opening titles - perfect! The Earth and moon are perfectly round, as they should be. The cover is also correct - round objects are round, not egg-shaped. There is clearly an issue with the aspect ratio of many if not most of the panels. This is surprising, as I've never seen that be an issue before in comics.

I really hope somebody at BLAM reads this and looks into it. I certainly would not want to purchase a paper copy of this as it is currently. The artwork is very nice, and the coloring is extremely well done. Regardless of my hatred for Comixology, I think this looks fantastic - other than the incorrect aspect ratio.

Please look into this - most people may not even notice but there's nothing I find more annoying than watching a film or tv show with the aspect ratio off, and so I was very surprised to see this be an issue with these comics. I don't know if this is something that happened because it is on Comixology, or if it happened during the mastering phase, or if it was a deliberate decision to "fit" the panels together, or if it looks that way on paper, but this shouldn't be happening at all. I viewed these on 2 different monitors and 2 different browsers, just to make sure. Like I said, some pages look correct, but many do not.

I think this could turn out to be a fantastic series of comics - I really hope this issue can get resolved.

Last edited by gwent; 24-08-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #105
gwent
Computer Technician

Any updates on this project? I was hoping to hear some good news.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #106
jockdeboer
Medical Technician

These are being sold now. You can download or get it old school. Ask the comic shop. I have the first issue but need the others.
jockdeboer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #107
VoyagerOne
Hydroponics Technician

Just checked the Chapters/Indigo site and they list Space: 1999 - Aftershock and Awe as being published in hardcover form, 160 pages, December 25, 2012. Me thinks I'm going to put my pre-order in.
VoyagerOne is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #108
gwent
Computer Technician

Just a few posts above I had commented on some aspect ratio problems with the remastered artwork. I was really hoping that would be addressed. I haven't heard anything at all in response to that. I really can't see myself paying for comics that were not mastered in the proper aspect ratio. I've been looking forward to this for a long time and it's sad that a technical issue like this has turned up. With so much effort put into the remastering and colorization, you would think that somebody would have noticed a problem with many of the panels being stretched vertically. I have seen some of the original comics the way they were first printed and I can say for certain that the Comixology issues were definitely vertically stretching some, but not all, of the panels, even on the same page. Which leads me to believe that this is an error with the actual remastering - somebody just wasn't careful when setting up the panels, or maybe they purposely stretched some panels to get them to "fit" just the way they wanted them to on a page, hoping nobody would notice.

I really wish I knew if this problem has been addressed or not. If it has been, then I'm on my way to my local comic shop. If not, then I'm afraid I'll have to skip it. To me the comics just look too "off" with the stretched panels.
Old 14-11-2012, 02:43 AM   #109
VoyagerOne
Hydroponics Technician

Has anyone else noticed the problem that qwent has mentioned? I've only looked at the preview pages posted on Archaia's site myself.
VoyagerOne is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #110
gwent
Computer Technician

Take a look at the very first page with panels on it from the Metamorph - the page after the introduction. The character faces are vertically stretched. Look at Tony's head. Take a look at the next page - with the glowing green orb - it's slightly elliptical, not circular. It's vertically stretched, just like the faces are. One could attempt to say that the faces are just drawn that way, but are can it also be said that the artist chose to draw the circles stretched also? No, it's clear to me that the aspect ratio has been stretched.

Yet, look at the opening credits page - with the "Red Alert!!" - on that page the moon is perfectly round, which says to me that not all panels were stretched, only some. You mentioned that some panels were going to be tweaked with some artwork corrections - perhaps it is those pages that have been stretched by accident?

Old 27-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #111
gwent
Computer Technician

This issue with the aspect ratio getting distorted in these "remastered" comics seems to be getting ignored. To put this issue to rest and hopefully get somebody to show an interest in this and get it resolved, here is proof that the images are getting distorted:

- Go to this page:

http://www.comixology.com/Space-1999...omic/DIG002317

This links directly to the Comixology site for "Space: 1999 - Classics Remastered #5".

- Now click on the cover image for a preview. Click on the 3rd image from the top - the one with Helena in the upper-left corner. Doing this will preview that page.

- Now open this link in a separate window so they can be viewed next to each other:

http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...ookin76172.jpg

This is an untouched scan of that same page, un-mastered, scanned form the original black-and-white comic, as posted on the catacombs site for reference.

Now tell me that the "remastered" image has not be stretched vertically by a significant degree. It's obvious that it has. Just look at the shape of their heads.

This is very sad to see that this is going unnoticed by BLAM! - I would have expected better. I would be happy to spend my money on these comics, if they were done properly. Sadly, these are clearly being "stretched" carelessly, possibly to just fill the pages a certain way, or maybe by accident, who knows? All I know is that this is a serious issue and these should be re-released with the aspect ratio corrected. What good is colorizing and remastering if you are just going to stretch and distort the images? I hate it when tv stations stretch or squish films and distort the aspect ratios and this is no different.

Can we please get some confirmation that this is being looked into? I really wish these would be corrected - to think this project is finally taking off and a stupid error like this is ruining it is unfortunate.

Last edited by gwent; 27-12-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 27-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #112
steeple
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwent View Post
This issue with the aspect ratio getting distorted in these "remastered" comics seems to be getting ignored. To put this issue to rest and hopefully get somebody to show an interest in this and get it resolved, here is proof that the images are getting distorted:

yeah this is a common problem with UK to US reprints. the colour Quality comic editions of "2000ad stories stretched the art to fit. the alternative is cutting out all the panels and individually re-positioning them. (almost impossible with john noble's awesome overlapping layouts)
i don't like it, but it's an understandable compromise
on the page you mention with helena's head, i, personally, would be more worried about the drop out of art apparent on koenig's and the caveman's dirt drawings :/
on the plus side, i'm very familiar with this art (i had it bluetacked to my bedroom wall as a kid) and i'm finding the colorization tasteful and attractive, and the covers beautifully trippy!

Last edited by steeple; 27-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.
steeple is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #113
gwent
Computer Technician

I'm not so sure it's necessary to alter the aspect ratio. You seem to know a bit about this, but why is this necessary at all? How is this an improvement if they stretch everything? If they took a 16:9 movie and remastered it and then squished it into 4:3, would that be an improvement? They shouldn't need to alter the aspect ratio just to get it to "fit" a page. Why can't they just leave a bit of extra empty space on the top and bottom if they have to in order to preserve the original aspect ratio? Why stretch it at all just to fill the page? I would much rather have the panels not stretched and have a bit of additional space at the top and bottom of the pages - just have a short explanation at the beginning of the comic explaining why it was done - to preserve the original panel's aspect ratio.

I'm sorry but I can't see my self spending money on these knowing they are distorted like this - a shame because if not for this I would be collecting them all.
Old 27-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #114
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
I'm not so sure it's necessary to alter the aspect ratio. You seem to know a bit about this, but why is this necessary at all? .
The difference between USA 'Letter' and European 'A4' paper sizes?
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #115
steeple
Chef

Quote:
I'm not so sure it's necessary to alter the aspect ratio. You seem to know a bit about this, but why is this necessary at all? .
well, i do agree, but for the casual reader it looks very strange. in the old days before widescreen tv's many people wouldn't buy widescreen versions of movies because the picture was "smaller" on their set, they couldn't be persuaded that they were seeing "more" of the movie, and hated the black bars at the top and bottom.
i'm not sure how it works with comixology but yes as SteveDix says, they're set up to display standard US sized comics, and that might be a set size/template for them.

Last edited by steeple; 27-12-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Old 27-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #116
steeple
Chef

it's worth baring in mind, you do still get the content that is pretty hard to track down, and i'm sure we can bodge up some way to capture the pages and re-size them for personal use
Old 28-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #117
gwent
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDix View Post
The difference between USA 'Letter' and European 'A4' paper sizes?
Right, but again, why not just have some blank white space at the top and bottom of the pages? Nobody would care that there is a bit of extra white page on the top or bottom to keep it displayed properly. I see books of all types all the time with the images formatted in different ways to keep the aspect ratio. I have purchased many vintage advertising art books and poster books over the years - many of the poster books have the posters set up as full page. Yet they are in the correct aspect ratio - they are not stretched or squished to fit each page. And it isn't because all the posters just happen to be the right size for the book - it's because they took the care to position the posters so they fill as much of the page as possible, without stretching or squishing the image - the rest of the page is left blank. They are centered and any additional space on the top, bottom or sides is no big deal at all. It's a much bigger deal that the images are stretched out of their intended proportions.

It really doesn't matter to me that these images are getting "remastered" or re-colored if they, in the same process, are distorting the images. The fact that these are rare makes it all the more frustrating that they finally visit these old comics, yet screw it up somehow. They are doing an otherwise pretty nice job I must say, but I find it totally unacceptable to be stretching the aspect ratios like this. I just can't pay for these printed comics when I know how they should look. I always hate it when films or tv shows are stretched or squished, and this is no different.

Like I said, there's just no need for it. I hear "well most people won't notice". Okay, well then, most people also won't notice if there's another inch at the top and bottom of the page in order to keep things correct. So why choose to stretch the image when it isn't necessary? Do Vincent van Gogh art books stretch the paintings to fill the pages? No, they preserve the intended shape of the artwork. This should be no different.

It would be nice to actually hear from BLAM! on this.

Last edited by gwent; 28-12-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 28-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #118
gwent
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeple View Post
it's worth baring in mind, you do still get the content that is pretty hard to track down, and i'm sure we can bodge up some way to capture the pages and re-size them for personal use
That's a lot of extra work I have no intention to do, nor should we need to. If they were doing this right, I would be at my comics store buying the printed copies, and also maybe buying the digital copies online. I have no desire to buy all these comics, then scan them all for my own use, and then find a way to "squash" some of the panels back in again, just to fix what shouldn't have been broken in the first place. These are, after all, supposed to be remastered and improved, right? Then my printed copies would still be wrong.

I don't mean to come off as being so bitter. This is just very frustrating for me. Aspect ratio has always been a big deal to me, like it should be with anybody into broadcasting, authoring, or printing. Unfortunately for whatever reasons, aspect ratio was not respected for this project, and this makes me sad.
Old 28-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #119
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

gwent - Why not take your concerns directly to BLAM! and Drew Gaska?, rather than posting about them on this forum, which (I'm just guessing) he likely doesn't spend a lot of time looking at... You can find Drew and BLAM! very easily on Facebook, and he's easy to reach and communicate with there.
CalgaryAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #120
gwent
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post
gwent - Why not take your concerns directly to BLAM! and Drew Gaska?, rather than posting about them on this forum, which (I'm just guessing) he likely doesn't spend a lot of time looking at... You can find Drew and BLAM! very easily on Facebook, and he's easy to reach and communicate with there.
That's a good suggestion, and actually I was just coming here to ask if anybody knew how I could contact him.

I'm not on facebook though. Does anybody know of an email or some other way I can contact him?

EDIT: Okay, I found his email on blamventures.com, so I'll send him an email and ask if he can look into this further.

Last edited by gwent; 29-12-2012 at 02:26 AM.