Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 AM   #21
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

I disagree with your idea. It's pretty much a slam dunk that Avon killed Blake. If you pay close attention to the that scene - Avon raises his gun, you hear a shot (Avon firing), then you hear several shots (each sounding the same, but a different sound from the first shot) - the federation troops firing at Avon. Pretty much means Avon is dead.

I was reviewing the episodes back around 1995, making sketches of the Liberator's interior and some bits of the exterior. When I got to the last episode, I paid attention to the last seen, and that was pretty much my conclusion. (I tried to come up with a justification on the other crew members surviving - the Federation cracks down on a rebel base, perhaps they wanted to take prisoners to interrogate but I'm not sure Federation guns have a stun setting - Kill only??) I came up with an idea on how to do a sequel to Blake's 7 - there is a clue in an earlier episode on how it can be done - with a new Liberator ship to boot!
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post
I'm not sure Federation guns have a stun setting - Kill only??) I came up with an idea on how to do a sequel to Blake's 7 - there is a clue in an earlier episode on how it can be done - with a new Liberator ship to boot!
They do, I believe it was a centerpiece of the episode 'Avalon'. It requires a replacement charge cylinder, but they can be set up to knock down rather than to kill. This being the case, it is possible that all the crew save blake survived.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

Quite correct - Project Avalon had feddie guns which might knock down and perhaps stun. I think we should leave the original as it appears to have been intended - Blake and the remnants of his gallant crew went down in a blaze of glory.
If they want to reboot it so be it and if that means the ending is changed ... well that i can live with but will view both series as seperate just as i did with Battlestar - hopefully appreciating each for their own strengths.
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #24
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.F.U. View Post
Quite correct - Project Avalon had feddie guns which might knock down and perhaps stun. I think we should leave the original as it appears to have been intended - Blake and the remnants of his gallant crew went down in a blaze of glory.
If they want to reboot it so be it and if that means the ending is changed ... well that i can live with but will view both series as seperate just as i did with Battlestar - hopefully appreciating each for their own strengths.
Well, it might be smarter to do it that way if for no other reason than the actors that played the original characters are quite old now. Pretty hard to explain the idea of a gun that ages you 40 years.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

I'd like to make it quite clear that I don't want to see a Blake's 7 reboot. I was just making the point that it would be fairly easy to resurrect the characters - and the 'catastrophic' ending could be just as easily re-filmed - and would have to be, to show the new actors. Remember, the main people who are going to be targeted are not necessarily hard-core B7 fans who own the series, but your average man in the street who has vague but happy memories of the show, or, perhaps, given that it's going to be an American production, never saw it, but is a fan of Firefly or Farscape. (And let's face it, they took more than a smidgeon of inspiration from B7)

At the end of the day, though, a reboot is an accounting, rather than an artistic decision. Artistically, you risk either producing a poor copy or something so different it throws the baby out with the bathwater. It's basically a trick to get the money to produce further episodes of a "known quantity" which can be sold to advertisers, rather than taking a risk on an unknown quantity.

I think it's indicative of the downturn in TV advertising revenue, and the general abandonment of story-telling TV in favour of low-budget fly-on-the-wall humiliation of willing idiots who want to get their faces on the box.

Last edited by SteveDix; 09-01-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: bloody android keyboard!
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

On the other hand, what do you think of the idea of revising the original episodes with a digital clean up, new footage and new FX, ala some of the pertwee Dr. Who eps? I saw some footage from 'Day of the Daleks', which was rather skimpy originally (the dalek army was 3 strong). The additions made it much more convincing.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #27
SciFiAssassin
Waste Technician

Would be great to see a clean-up of the effects in B7. However, anyone who's seen the 're-mastering' of Dr Who episodes on DVD knows they can be awful. Quite often people who are a dab hand with CGI don't 'shoot' the upgraded footage in a way which fits with the live-action footage.

Probably one of the best effects upgrades is the 2001 version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. They completed effects using CGI but replicating techniques they would have done used when the film was shot in 1979. As such it's hard to distinguish what's new and what's original.

In my opinion they should re-do the duff effects (they shouldn't touch the beautiful Xenon Base model shots!) but replicating the motion-control tech of the time.
SciFiAssassin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #28
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Personally I would much rather come up with something more original - that is, take some similarish tv shows, movies and novels, but engage with issues of today. In the seventies (and the sixties) the big landmark was the year 2000, which suggested many stories of what life would be like then. Now that "landmark" is thirteen years old and was not such a big deal.

I found this clip from a 1983 comedy sketch that was in the pilot for The Crystal Cube - it would have been a Monty Python style sketch/spoof show but starring Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson.

PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #29
RobWolf
Alphan

The odd thing about the gunfire over the credits is that each burst coincides with one of the crew's names coming up on the screen...I wonder if there's any significance in that?

If we assume that Blake is not a clone, and the crew ARE dead...my take on it is that the gunfire could be some of Blake's other recruits dropping in to save the day, Avon then becomes their leader. SIMPLES!
RobWolf is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote