Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #41
StrakersWig
Life Support Technician

Hi Marc, the comparison of DVD to Blu-Ray is fascinating to see

Are you putting any full frames (1080) on the website?
StrakersWig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #42
marcmartin
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakersWig View Post
Hi Marc, the comparison of DVD to Blu-Ray is fascinating to see

Are you putting any full frames (1080) on the website?
I posted a bunch of 1920x1080 jpegs on the "UFO" Facebook page. However, these use Facebook's JPEG compression, so the actual frame captures probably look better.

But yes, I supposed I could add some of these to my webpage, and then link to uncompressed PNG files.

But any individual frame capture never really tells you the whole story, as there are about 2 million frames in all 26 episodes of UFO... :-)

I have watched 3 episodes in their entirety so far. The quality has been fine overall, except I do get annoyed at the little "white dots" that should have been cleaned up during the transfer (dirt on the negatives). And any scene that used an optical printer looks pretty bad, but mostly no worse than it did on the DVDs.
marcmartin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #43
StrakersWig
Life Support Technician

Marc, I didn't realise the shots on facebook were full HD when you downloaded them.
Now I've seen them, the extra detail is great in most cases but I see what you mean about the lack of clean-up on opticals.
I've also spotted another peculiarity on the shot from The Responsibility Seat with the two moonbase girls in spacesuits. The helmet and suit attachments should be bright yellow and they have been changed to a greyish colour to match an optical printing error where the yellow element is missing from the reverse angle window (bluescreen) shot showing the Russian rig approaching!
StrakersWig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

The problem on "The Responsibility Seat" exists on the DVDs I have as well.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #45
marcmartin
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDix View Post
The problem on "The Responsibility Seat" exists on the DVDs I have as well.
Yes, in my watching the UFO Blu-rays, whenever I find a "problem", I first check and see if the DVDs have exactly the same problem before complaining about it. :-)

A recently discovered error on the UFO Blu-rays is that during the episode ORDEAL, there is a 45-second stretch where aspect ratio changes from it's usual 4:3 to 16:9! There's a video showing this on YouTube:

Thanks to Branko Vekic for finding this problem.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #46
steeple
Chef

i guess in the late 60's early 70's having a scene in black and white didn't necessarily say "from years ago" because alot of us were using black and white TV's, so they used sepia instead. arguably it's more correct (for story telling purposes) for those scenes to be black and white now, because sepia would suggest edwardian, or victorian era footage
steeple is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #47
Kinserfan11
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakersWig View Post
UFO is being released on a Blu-Ray Collectors set in high definition in Japan on December 5.
There was a german Blu-Ray recently but that was in Standard definition

- Restored from 35mm negatives.
- In original 4:3 Aspect Ratio
- Booklet
- Extras
- Deleted Scenes

Unfortunately it will be 200
How much is that in USA Money ?
Kinserfan11 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #48
marcmartin
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinserfan11 View Post
How much is that in USA Money ?
It cost me $320 in USA dollars from Amazon.co.jp
Old 06-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #49
Nektu
Life Support Technician

So, what is the consensus here? Buy the set? Marc, are you the only brave soul to purchase them? Anyone else thinking about the Thunderbirds set out this week? I will pop for those, I'm pretty sure. Let me know your thoughts guys. K
Nektu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #50
marcmartin
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nektu View Post
So, what is the consensus here? Buy the set? Marc, are you the only brave soul to purchase them? Anyone else thinking about the Thunderbirds set out this week? I will pop for those, I'm pretty sure. Let me know your thoughts guys. K
I think Thunderbirds was delayed a couple of weeks... now due towards the end of the month?

As for UFO, well, despite it's flaws, it is the best quality version of the series out there. But I'm sure someone else will eventually release it, at a cheaper price, and it may have some of those flaws fixed!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #51
Nektu
Life Support Technician

Hey Marc, I hadn't noticed the push back on the date. Thanks for that. Beyond the video 'issues'. How would you rate the Audio? I hope the Thunderbirds set has nothing to do with the prior updates, with the overdone effects. Best. K
Nektu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #52
marcmartin
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nektu View Post
Hey Marc, I hadn't noticed the push back on the date. Thanks for that. Beyond the video 'issues'. How would you rate the Audio? I hope the Thunderbirds set has nothing to do with the prior updates, with the overdone effects. Best. K
As for the audio, I've pretty much ignored the Japanese language track, and also the 5.1 surround track, which sounds terrible to me. So that leaves the original mono track, which sounds fine to me. I suspect its the same audio that was used for the UFO DVDs, although at a much higher bitrate. I haven't done any A/B testing with the DVDs, but I have thought that it sounds really good.