SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #41
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicker View Post
There are a lot of interesting ideas in this thread but I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention of 'The Return of Victor Bergman' short film. I thought it was very well done, and the idea that Professor Bergman is in suspended animation and awaiting resuscitation somewhere off-camera throughout Year 2 appeals to me. I suppose its position in canon is open to debate, but it was the last appearance of Barry Morse in character as Victor, and that ought to carry some weight... yes? No?

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...de/txrovb.html
Agree, I consider 'The Return of Victor Bergman' short film an official episode of season 2.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #42
atomicker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
I consider 'The Return of Victor Bergman' short film an official episode of season 2.
Sounds good to me.
atomicker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #43
atomicker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
It was a nice gift from the late Barry Morse to his fans.
Definitely. A very classy tip of the hat from Mr Morse. I'd love to know how he reacted when the idea was first pitched to him... it probably sounded crackers, coming out of the blue.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #44
tim
Geological Technician

He did a good job, returning to a character he last played more than thirty years earlier.
tim is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #45
atomicker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Well we actally never saw Gorski return to Earth...
This had bugged me ever since I saw the first episode. Some fans point to Bergman's 'I got caught' comment early on in 'Breakaway' as an indication that Eagle travel was so restricted that only Koenig and Simmonds were allowed to move between Earth and Alpha in the days leading up to September 13. But if that's true, what the heck happened to Gorski? Did they drop him off on Meta? Banish him to the Catacombs? Feed him to Gwent?

But just yesterday I stumbled across an explanation, without even really looking for it. According to the Wiki article on 'Breakaway', Lee Katzin filmed a second conversation between Gorski and Koenig, just as the ex-commander was boarding an Eagle headed for Earth. Apparently this whole bit wound up on the cutting room floor as Gerry Anderson took 'Breakaway' from a movie-length cut to under an hour. I wonder if it's still sitting on a shelf in an ITC warehouse somewhere...?

Back on Earth, Gorski must have been considered the luckiest guy in the space service after escaping the disaster on the moon with just a few days to spare.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #46
CR
Science Officer

The audio from that Gorski scene (with more than one take) was posted to YouTube a year or so ago, and it's rather interesting to hear. Look up Space 1999 lost scenes or something similar, and you should be able to find it. (I also transcribed the audio clips back when I had time, just in case I lost computer access... which I did lose not long after!)

The Blam! Ventures graphic novel Aftershock and Awe inserts this scene back in, by the way.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #47
atomicker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
The audio from that Gorski scene (with more than one take) was posted to YouTube a year or so ago, and it's rather interesting to hear.
That's fantastic, thanks for that! I will definitely look for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
The Blam! Ventures graphic novel Aftershock and Awe inserts this scene back in, by the way.
That's good to hear. 'Aftershock' is another item on my shopping list, haven't got around to picking it up yet...
Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #48
tim
Geological Technician

Another line cut was that Gorski apparently tried to put the moves on Helena, who promptly shot him down.

Quote:
Back on Earth, Gorski must have been considered the luckiest guy in the space service after escaping the disaster on the moon with just a few days to spare
Depends on what happened back on Earth. If the families of the lost Alphans decided to laywer up and sue the Lunar Commission, the LC might have used Gorski as their sacrafical lamb.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #49
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Another line cut was that Gorski apparently tried to put the moves on Helena, who promptly shot him down.
That line was also in the lost audio stuff, and it actually occurred during a meeting Koenig had with Russell after Gorski's departure. Koenig tells Russell that Gorski had mentioned certain problems or indiscretions about Russell, and she tells Koenig about the advances from Gorski that she turned down. At that point, Koenig realizes that Gorski (and thus Simmonds & the Lunar Commission) was discrediting her medical analysis of the 'virus infection' simply out of petty retribution, and vows to rescind all of Gorski's recommendations against Russell.

It takes fewer lines for Landau & Bain to recite than I just used 'summarizing' it; very cool stuff, though, that gave the characters just a bit more depth & background, not to mention explaining just why such a qualified doctor was being so roundly ignored.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #50
CR
Science Officer

By the way, here's the thread with clips of the lost audio, plus my transcripts thereof. Have fun! It's like watching (well, listening to) a new episode. http://eagletransporter.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=46472

EDITED TO ADD: Martin Willey had also made transcripts of the same clips, which are posted at The Catacombs and indeed were made public before I had finished mine. As I point out in the thread linked above, his and mine differ slightly. Assuming that The Catacombs (and any space1999.net website, for that matter) are available, you should go there and check out his version as well.

Last edited by CR; 11-03-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #51
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
That line was also in the lost audio stuff, and it actually occurred during a meeting Koenig had with Russell after Gorski's departure. Koenig tells Russell that Gorski had mentioned certain problems or indiscretions about Russell, and she tells Koenig about the advances from Gorski that she turned down. At that point, Koenig realizes that Gorski (and thus Simmonds & the Lunar Commission) was discrediting her medical analysis of the 'virus infection' simply out of petty retribution, and vows to rescind all of Gorski's recommendations against Russell.
Gorski, what a vidictive jerk. The guy is supposed to be responsible for the safely of Alpha and everyone on it, yet he puts them all at risk because his male ego couldn't take the idea that Helena told him to sod off when he hit on her.

Thank God he wasn't in charge when Alpha got blown away from Earth.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #52
atomicker
Hydroponics Technician

That was terrific, thanks CR! There it was in clip #1 -- Gorski tries to pour a little poison in Koenig's ear the day before he heads back to Earth. Mystery solved. Is it my imagination, or does Gorski have a much stronger Russian accent here than in his single intact scene in 'Breakaway'...?

All of the clips were interesting, but I particularly appreciated the clips where Simmonds clarifies the planet Meta as 'a rogue planet which has broken away from some distant galaxy' (clip #2), and where Alan Carter uses his vantage point in his Eagle to describe the massive devastation on the surface of the moon, including how the explosion 'tore a tremendous piece of the moon away' (clip #16).

Thanks again to CR for the tip (and the great job on the transcripts in the other thread)!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #53
CR
Science Officer

You're welcome for what I consider a small contribution to S99 lore, and I thank you for your compliments. I'm just glad to have helped be an active part of a lifelong favourite hobby, and wanted to share that with people as passionate about it as I am (or even to share it with the light, casual viewer too, of course).

I've said it before, but my thanks go especially to David Sisson and Simon Rhodes for sharing their discovery with the world. And to Martin Willey, who must be more of a fan than I, and who has the added bonus of having access to so much original source material. (I've made a couple of observations about the series that he's been nice enough to post at The Catacombs, complete with my name; what a treat, one I never knew as a seven-year-old watching S99 in its first run that I'd be doing as an adult so many years later.)
Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #54
tim
Geological Technician

Nice to see those lost moments still exist.