Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Aliens

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Default Micromachines "Action Fleet " Aliens Models

In anticipation of the release of the "Aliens: Colonial Marines "video game , I've unearthed my collection of "Aliens"models and figures ( I'm planning a 1/6 diorama for my Hot Toys Marines ). I thought I'd share a few pics of the "Action Fleet" range of toys/models produced by Galoob that appeared ( briefly ) in 1997 .
You don't see a lot about this range as they weren't that widely distributed ( at least that's how I remember it ) and they ended up appearing in discount shops ( 2 of my 3 cost me 3.99 each ! ). Galoob had huge success with their Micromachines range and produced some great Star Wars models in the "Action Fleet " collection , so it's a bit of a mystery why "Aliens" didn't prove a hit for them . My own theory is that mainstream outlets were a little nervous about stocking a "kids " range based on an 18 certificate property , much like the infamous "Alien" figure from the 70's . All 3 models in the range are lovely items , loaded with action features , for the most part well detailed and even include tiny little "action figures " . What's not to love !

( The APC in this pic is from the "regular" Micromachine range and is about an inch long . It also fits inside the Dropship . How cool is that ! )

( Look closely and you can see Jones the cat in his cat box !)

When I re-discovered the models , I was curious so I checked out ebay for an idea of prices ( not that I put much value in ebay prices ) . Lets put it this way , when I paid 3.99 , I wish I'd cleared the bloody shelves !
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
CR
Science Officer

I have (buried somewhere in storage) the regular minis from the micro machine range... there was one set from Alien and one from Aliens (where you got that 1" APC), and if I remember correctly, and alien warrior head that opened up into a playset and included a vehicle and/or some tiny figures (roughly 1/96 scale figs).

Like you, I was surprised that these weren't more popular, but I'm glad I got them when I did. Their Star Trek & Star Wars lines were pretty extensive. (I had actually designed a Space: 1999 line--a wish list of sorts--that I was hoping they might produce in 1999, but by then it seemed like Micro Machines were starting to decline, and not too many people outside of the S99 fanbase had even heard of the show. Never did contact them about it. Still, I'd love to have seen multiple sets of Alphan & alien spacecraft and even some figures.)

I never knew that they made a line of Alien/Aliens stuff in their Action Fleet range, though. Wow! I love the crushed alien warrior on the bottom of the APC, and Jones' cat carrier next to Ripley's hypersleep chamber in the Narcissus. Neat little touches, those!

Last edited by CR; 11-03-2013 at 04:53 PM.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

The packaging also refers to a Predator ship as well , but I've never seen any evidence of it ever appearing .
Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

These are great shots - I've got these and never new of the flattened alien under the APC as new removed them from the box - I too never found a Predator ship but did get the micro machines set for that as well.
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

It was only recently that I plucked up the courage to take them out of the box , but I figured what's the point of cool toys if you can't have a play with them ! ( And they can be replaced easily enough .)

Old 12-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
It was only recently that I plucked up the courage to take them out of the box , but I figured what's the point of cool toys if you can't have a play with them ! ( And they can be replaced easily enough .)
Same goes for model kits, which are, after all, meant to be built.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
The packaging also refers to a Predator ship as well , but I've never seen any evidence of it ever appearing .
search ebay with this code

There is one on there now
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland182 View Post
search ebay with this code

There is one on there now
There certainly is . And at 201 it'll be staying there , I'm afraid !