Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #121
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
I think "Logan's Run" (TV series) was on CBS before the first "Star Wars" came out.
Star Wars came out in June of 1977. Logan's Run, the tv show, premiered the following September. Granted it must have been in development for a while, but the success of Star Wars opened the door for it, and the other Sci-Fi shows of the late 70's.

Quote:
Koenig did talk to Sandra. But it wasn't about the rock. It was about letting strange cavemen into her Eagle.
In Sandra's defense, at that point, she didn't know about the cavemen. She knew that the Commander and a bunch of Alphans had disappeared. She knew that Alan had wandered off by himself (not too bright on his part). Still, yeah, she should have at least waited until Bergman and Kano arrived (they were on their way down to Retha at that point) before opening the Eagle door.
tim is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #122
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Star Wars came out in June of 1977. Logan's Run, the tv show, premiered the following September. Granted it must have been in development for a while, but the success of Star Wars opened the door for it, and the other Sci-Fi shows of the late 70's.
The Logan's Run movie that the 1977-1978 series was based upon was released in 1976.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #123
tim
Geological Technician

Quote:
The Logan's Run movie that the 1977-1978 series was based upon was released in 1976.
That's true, but it was the 1977 release of Star Wars that made science fiction "hot". Without SW, there probably would have been no Battlestar Galactica, no Buck Rogers, no Space Academy, etc. I don't think they would have greenlighted the Logan's Run tv show either.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #124
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
That's true, but it was the 1977 release of Star Wars that made science fiction "hot". Without SW, there probably would have been no Battlestar Galactica, no Buck Rogers, no Space Academy, etc. I don't think they would have greenlighted the Logan's Run tv show either.
Agree, Star Wars made science-fiction productions more viable. That is why in 1978-1980 Space Academy was changed into Jason Of Star Command.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #125
tim
Geological Technician

As I said, Space: 1999 was unique in that it was the only real science fiction show made in the wilderness years between Star Trek and Star Wars (Doctor Who doesn't count because it had been in production before Star Trek).

Old 06-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #126
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
As I said, Space: 1999 was unique in that it was the only real science fiction show made in the wilderness years between Star Trek and Star Wars (Doctor Who doesn't count because it had been in production before Star Trek).
tim, well said.
Old 15-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #127
tim
Geological Technician

I think S2 took a lot of people by surprise because of all the changes. If you didn't see John, Helena, Alan, and Sandra there, you wouldn't be blamed for thinking you'd tuned into the wrong show!
Old 16-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #128
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
I think S2 took a lot of people by surprise because of all the changes. If you didn't see John, Helena, Alan, and Sandra there, you wouldn't be blamed for thinking you'd tuned into the wrong show!
True, it was a radical change.
Old 16-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #129
Logofan
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
True, it was a radical change.
Agreed. I remember waiting anxiously for the second season premier, and then was in shock as it unfolded. Where did the great '99 opening music go? Where's Alan Carter? Professor Bergman? Did Kano and Morrow have the flu that week? Command Center...what, did all the toilets break in Main Mission? And who the bloody hell is Tony "Chief of Security"????

It would have been a tough sell no matter what, but to not even address the changes onscreen was pitiful.
Logofan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #130
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logofan View Post
Agreed. I remember waiting anxiously for the second season premier, and then was in shock as it unfolded. Where did the great '99 opening music go? Where's Alan Carter? Professor Bergman? Did Kano and Morrow have the flu that week? Command Center...what, did all the toilets break in Main Mission? And who the bloody hell is Tony "Chief of Security"????

It would have been a tough sell no matter what, but to not even address the changes onscreen was pitiful.

What about that it looks like it command center looks like it was a ventilation shaft originally. What's was with the low ceiling, crowded consoles and huge vents anyhow?
The camera couldn't get a shot where you could see the floor, it was so crowded. Also, since when does alpha only have one short corridor?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #131
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
The camera couldn't get a shot where you could see the floor, it was so crowded.
Ironic, in that S99 Series 1 bucked the tv trend of never showing ceilings, by actually having them in all its sets... then with Series 2, they became like any other sf show--only a bit opposite--and didn't show the FLOOR! (I know in later S2 episodes, there were no ceilings in some of the alien sets, so even that 'normal' thing came to S99. )
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #132
tim
Geological Technician

I never liked Command Center, they were all crammed in there like sardines.

I guess Sandra went wherever Victor, Paul, and Kano went. Instead we got Yasko
Old 20-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #133
tim
Geological Technician

Notice how Freiberger and Co. seemed to pretend that Season One never existed at all, and hoped we would too.

At the start of Dragon's Domain, when Helena is making her report about Tony Cellini, she says 877 days have passed since they were blown out of Earth orbit. This stretches the events of Season One out to nearly three years. This makes a lot more sense and debunks the critics myth that Alpha was encountering a new planet "every week". The 877 days revelation tells us that perhaps months happened between encounters with planets, we just didn't see them.

Yet when Season Two starts, Helena says only 342 have passed since the events of Breakaway, less than a year. I'm sorry, but if Freiberger was trying to convince me that S1 all happened in the same year, I'm not buying it.

Furthermore, some events of S2 should have invoked memories of S1 in the characters, but they don't. In The Sťance Spectre, when Alpha is on collision with Taura, you would think that Collision Course, when a similar threat was on the horizon, would be mentioned, but it wasn't.

Freiberger wanted us to think that HIS season was the only season, it seems.