Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #161
Doomsday
Communications Officer
 
Doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dundee
Posts: 992
Default

I take it Thunderbird 1's wheels were so small so that they would fit inside the slim wings it has.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #162
HUNCH
Communications Officer
 
HUNCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 771
Default

Just noticing the street lamps in the pic Mike posted. Is that a car antenna chopped off? That would allow a wire to be fed thru for the light.
Just kinda thinking out loud here.
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #163
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
I take it Thunderbird 1's wheels were so small so that they would fit inside the slim wings it has.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/
Yeah. could be.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #164
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNCH View Post
Just noticing the street lamps in the pic Mike posted. Is that a car antenna chopped off? That would allow a wire to be fed thru for the light.
Just kinda thinking out loud here.
It could very well be. It looks like one.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #165
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 419
Default

#26 Apart from the Silhouette, I noticed the other cars were a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette (centre) Stingray. (right) the rear end of a 1958 Ford Thunderbird, the rear end of a 1963 Oldsmobile Starfire? and a truck that look like the Dinky Toys Brinks Armoured Car.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #166
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer
 
Air Terrainean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: End of runway two-nine
Posts: 1,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta tango View Post
#26 Apart from the Silhouette, I noticed the other cars were a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette (centre) Stingray. (right) the rear end of a 1958 Ford Thunderbird, the rear end of a 1963 Oldsmobile Starfire? and a truck that look like the Dinky Toys Brinks Armoured Car.
The blue and white car isn't a Corvette - it's a '63 Ford Cougar concept car, which I think was originally produced by IPC, but has been re-released since then by Lindberg. I've seen the blue and white one turn up elsewhere, and there are two in different colours on the Parola Sands stacker. The Brinks armoured car is definitely right, plus there are also Matchbox vehicles on the overhead roadway, including the Vauxhall Victor estate, airport fuel tanker and the Cooper-Jarrett interstate truck.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #167
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
The blue and white car isn't a Corvette - it's a '63 Ford Cougar concept car, which I think was originally produced by IPC, but has been re-released since then by Lindberg. I've seen the blue and white one turn up elsewhere, and there are two in different colours on the Parola Sands stacker. The Brinks armoured car is definitely right, plus there are also Matchbox vehicles on the overhead roadway, including the Vauxhall Victor estate, airport fuel tanker and the Cooper-Jarrett interstate truck.
Thanks for that Air Terrainean. I'll keep my eyes open for that '63 cougar kit.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #168
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta tango View Post
Thanks for that Air Terrainean. I'll keep my eyes open for that '63 cougar kit.
In that episode I remember seeing two Dinky Toys Lincoln Continental police cars and I think Dave Clayton drove what looks like a Buick Riviera. I'm not sure, but I think the Buick could be the Corgi version because the colour and contours of the seats look like the Corgi ones.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #169
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 419
Default

While I was watching Thunderbirds episode "Cry Wolf" I noticed a Rover 2000 parked outside the Williams's house!
It looked like the Corgi Toys version, because I think it had the "Trans-O-Lite
head lights.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #170
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer
 
Air Terrainean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: End of runway two-nine
Posts: 1,972
Default

Yep, I've noticed that too - though I think it's probably a larger size plastic version of the car, probably a friction drive toy, which were quite common in the 60s. There are behind the scenes shots that show that the model set is quite large. In Thirty Minutes After Noon Tom prescott drives past a car showroom with a Jaguar MK X in the window, and I think this is a similar toy to the Rover. What I'm not so sure of is whether it's a similar scale Jaguar that's parked in a row of cars that are seen going up in flames in City of Fire.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #171
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 419
Default

Yeah, could be A.T. The fire sequence I think they used 1/25th scale cars. A piece of the Airfix girder bridge (the foot) appeared at the right and top of the picture. I measured this against my Corgi model of a Ford Thunderbird ( there was one to the left of the picture) and the foot was to large. So I recon these cars were around 1/25th scale. The red car and the white car ( the one that blows up) look like 1963 Oldsmobile Starfires.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #172
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
Yep, I've noticed that too - though I think it's probably a larger size plastic version of the car, probably a friction drive toy, which were quite common in the 60s. There are behind the scenes shots that show that the model set is quite large. In Thirty Minutes After Noon Tom prescott drives past a car showroom with a Jaguar MK X in the window, and I think this is a similar toy to the Rover. What I'm not so sure of is whether it's a similar scale Jaguar that's parked in a row of cars that are seen going up in flames in City of Fire.
looking at that Jaguar MK X in that garage A.T. I would say it was the same scale as the one in the car park. Did you notice in City Of Fire that when the Thunderbird convertible went in to the car park, they were two Airfix tank tracks on the wall before the car crashed?
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #173
Mr.Kanie
Alphan
 
Mr.Kanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Delamar View Post

Weird question maybe but, with what kind of stuff are these puppet sized cars exactly made ?

Just want to know .
Mr.Kanie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #174
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer
 
MkIXHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,460
Default

Usually plywood for the body. The steering wheel would usually come from a child's toy (you used to be able to get toy dashboards which would attach to the back of the driver;s seat, allowing the child to play at 'driving') or alternatively a child's pedal car,
In the photograph, detail would be added by the application of chrome tape or even, as in the photo, chromed drawer handles. Windscreens tended not to be glazed on account of the unwanted reflections that might be caused and also the sheer cost of moulding a large sheet of perspex

Last edited by MkIXHawk; 31-05-2011 at 12:29 PM.
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #175
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Delamar View Post
Hi chaps

I was reading Martin Bowers site on the build of the firefly and recovery vehicles, he mentioned that parts from the AMT silhouette and trailer was used on both, id never heard of it.

a quick google and check of ebay, revealled they are still quite easily available and cheap, Ive just bought one for $10 will let you guys know what its like when it arrives, the AMT range of kits certainly looks great, I knew nothing of them before I started researching all this, the options they offered for custom and standard cars etc seems a great idea.

this particular kit looks very cool, the car goes in the futuristic trailer.

the shape is quite distinctive, main reason I bought one was for the clear bubble domes, and the chrome pieces, Im sure they could have been used on several futuristic vehicles in Thunderbirds, maybe even the smaller fab1? Im hoping some bits where used on the fire engines Im building.

the standard kit also appeared as a futuristic police car in several episodes, be great if anyone knows any vehicles that used bits of this kit.

anyway, heres some screengrabs of it as the police car, some police decals and a grain of wheat bulb could make a authentic Thunderbirds studio model











cheers guys

Mike
I know this is an old thread, but isn't that FAB1 parked between the Silhouette and the Corvette on pic 4?
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #176
Captain Hanson
Astrophysics Technician
 
Captain Hanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gloucestershire
Posts: 295
Default

I feel so bad. I was so close to finishing mine, and as I got up for a quick break, my arm caught it, and it slid across the table onto the floor = two broken windshields.

My Dad and I managed to glue them back together, but it looks as though it's just crashed. That's one less Silhouette in the world. Sorry fellas.
Captain Hanson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #177
Lee S
Eagle Pilot
 
Lee S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Thailand, Earth, Sol Sector
Posts: 690
Default

Could I request some HD screen caps of the Silhouette Police car? I'm about to start mine but don't have access to the BluRays here.

Many thanks!
Lee S is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com