Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #161
ByGoneYrs
Alphan

Speaking as a Fan of Space1999 and just happen to be a American too, I for one loved the original show and hope that they make the show alot like the orginal one and not try to add all the extra new world social drama into the show and hijack the real shows style of SciFi focus. I could care less who's sleeping with whom and all that stuff. I don't want Sexism or Race or anything like that force fed to me, I want pure SciFi enjoyment. Forget the politically correct stuff, that is not why I watch SciFi at all. I like shows like SGU, SGA, The Enterprise, Star Trek Voyager and Earth 2. I hope the show does the feel of the show like that and NOT the new BSG remake.
ByGoneYrs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 AM   #162
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

I don't really understand the Anti American comments. nor do I really think they are really needed. I would have to say however Titanic seemed to have done very well.. But Enough said on that matter. As to a remake of 1999. if any other studio was doing it I would probably be a lot more excited about it. but not being a fan of sy fy channels so called original movie attempts. I would have to say I am worried of how they would do on this also. So far to date I personally have not liked a thing sy fy channel has made. finding it all campy, moronic in many ways, horrid visual effects, with more cheesy writing than a political speech, and filled to the brim with either washed up actors, or people they seem to have hired off the streets who couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. Saying this, I would also say that a remake of 1999 would not be that bad as long as it was done with another studio and they stayed close to the original, did not try to change every thing they could. shades of the mess they turned uss enterprise into in the 2009 movie. and actually hired writers, prop masters, and actors who are fans of the original series of 1999. Then it might not be bad. but that's just an observation, and my two cents.
eagle3 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #163
dion1701
Chef

I am a Space 1999 fan from way back and a yank across the pond in the States. As a fan I hope they stay true to the Eagle design (like don't change a thing) The layout of Moonbase Alpha ect. Yes American movie makes and screwed some things up I will give my british friends that. They also make some amazing things. I guess I am one of the few that liked the BSG remake....
dion1701 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #164
ByGoneYrs
Alphan

The New BSG in the very beginning was ok...but they started to go away from the orginal plot lines to add in some social current events stuff that was rather not the type or style of SciFi that I like or wanted to see. Being a 48 yr old middle aged married man with two sons 16/13, and being a mega SciFi fan plus a RPGer ontop of that, as well as a 20+ yr IT person (Sys Admin/ Sr. DBA/Project Manager) I fit into a selected Geek Nitch.

I like to see big guns and lots of battles and etc. Oh and Zombies are good stuff too. I will pass on the Soap-Opera Drama queen stuff, I see and manage enough of that at or through work. Give me pure SciFi any day.

Last edited by ByGoneYrs; 11-09-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #165
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

just wanted to say i don't think anyone is xenophobically anti american , i think its probably more anti hollywood USA , on some occasions.

Example - for me J J Abrams and co royally cocked up the Lost tv series in my opinion , but his Star Trek movie was cool imo , lets be honest there are plenty of tv executives and movie moguls of all sorts of nationalities that seem to mess up everything they touch intentionally or not ?

If something is not broken , then why fix it ?

Space 1999 is not broken , it does not need a remake or re-envisionment imo !

If there is so much creative vision and sci fi talent , then simply make a new i.p , run with it and make a new tv show or movie !

We don't need Hollywood to steal bits of Eagle Transporters to reinvent the wheel .

The reason they / hollywood want to remake stuff is to capitalise on the money , the money , and the money of USING the goodwill and fanbase of whatever show they are intending to cock up , i mean ENHANCE - lol )
Roger3d is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #166
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger3d View Post
there are plenty of tv executives and movie moguls of all sorts of nationalities that seem to mess up everything they touch intentionally or not ?
Wild horses wouldn't drag Fred Freiburger's name from me. Oops.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #167
BalorReturns!
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDix View Post
Wild horses wouldn't drag Fred Freiburger's name from me. Oops.
Speaking of Frieberger, does anyone know when series two is likely to appear on the digital format, preferably in a single box set?

I felt compelled to purchase the UK Carlton release of series one, owing in no small part to its superior picture quality over the earlier twin-pack US releases, which is now firmly hinged in my collection.
BalorReturns! is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #168
Tony_Cellini
Hydroponics Technician

I for one could do without most remakes, sequels and prequels. Frankly, series 2 of the original Space: 1999 was bad enough, and that was from the original creators and with most of the main actors playing the same characters. Part of what makes 1999 so great is its capturing the moment of what the 1970s were all about, and the more pessimistic view of the future--same era as two of my favorite sci-fi films: Rollerball and Soylent Green. It also had a great 70s aesthetic--Eagle Transporters being the space flight equivalent of Bang and Olufsen Beomaster 4000 stereos (note my avatar here). The apparently tried to remake Rollerball, but I didn't see that fiasco, though I heard it brought bad to a whole new level. Please, for Pete's sake, leave 1999 alone!
Tony_Cellini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #169
BalorReturns!
Chef

Yes 1999' series two was pretty bad, particularly when compared with series one, but I still enjoyed it for what it was... Sure, it was missing Professor [Bergman]; introduced Tony and Maya (whose relationship was filled with Stilton), while slapping us in the face with a variety of decidedly poor Frieberger-styled 'Monster of the Week' scenarios, but as a kid [at that time] I still loved it...

It's only with the benefit of hindsight now that I can see it for what it was: a classic sci-fi series which most of hold very close to our hearts.

The fact remains that whether we want it to "be re-made" or not, is immaterial. Its all about whether some think tank of writers, producers, financiers and perhaps the odd would-be director feels its a worthwhile venture. However if we're fortunate enough to have the series done properly, sporting lots of cameo appearances with familiar faces (to keep the old-school fans like us happy) then this remake (oh, sorry I mean re-imagining) might be worthy of celebration... Here's hoping anyway.
BalorReturns! is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #170
ByGoneYrs
Alphan

I am hoping the up the number of population on the base to like 2500-3000 crew. This way they would have alot more possibility and situations to deal with. There is always a few good Red shirts to kill off.

Old 14-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #171
mike s
Communications Officer

yeah Ham I agree a remake would be pointless but it wasn't a remake - it actually had 6 in a cameo at the beginning - PMG was asked to play himself but turned it down so they got a lookalike

I think you could make a worthy version/sequel of it but you would have to have a very strong idea to continue it + a very strong lead actor

I don't know what the strong idea could be but I think it could be done, it wouldn't have to be rubbish by default

Sherlock Homes has been redone a lot and some really good stuff has been done

in a way The Prisoner has been remade as The Truman Show and Inception (A B and C anyone..?) - I think these movies show that it could work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
Well, there is no reason to make a remake of The Prisoner...what could have been done would have been a sequel or prequel, if they could have come up with a theme that wasn't completely defeatist and meaningless, as they did with the remake: somehow, I have a feeling that their point of 'You might as well sell out and conform, so you can climb the ladder and become the boss' wasn't really a message that made the remake something people could love and be inspired by.

In fact, that point doesn't need to be made: people sell out every day, they don't need encouragement to do that. It's easy to conform, and easy to go along with the boss: the rewards of that are obvious...but ultimately meaningless. Thus the bleak and pointless theme of the prisoner remake...it didn't need to be said, and it gives you nothing to remember it for but a bad taste in the mouth.
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #172
mike s
Communications Officer

if its done well then I think an update is a good thing

however...

...its very VERY hard to do it well - you can initially help yourself by getting top writing talent on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger3d View Post
just wanted to say i don't think anyone is xenophobically anti american , i think its probably more anti hollywood USA , on some occasions.

Example - for me J J Abrams and co royally cocked up the Lost tv series in my opinion , but his Star Trek movie was cool imo , lets be honest there are plenty of tv executives and movie moguls of all sorts of nationalities that seem to mess up everything they touch intentionally or not ?

If something is not broken , then why fix it ?

Space 1999 is not broken , it does not need a remake or re-envisionment imo !

If there is so much creative vision and sci fi talent , then simply make a new i.p , run with it and make a new tv show or movie !

We don't need Hollywood to steal bits of Eagle Transporters to reinvent the wheel .

The reason they / hollywood want to remake stuff is to capitalise on the money , the money , and the money of USING the goodwill and fanbase of whatever show they are intending to cock up , i mean ENHANCE - lol )
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #173
Captain Cyan
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle3 View Post
I don't really understand the Anti American comments. nor do I really think they are really needed. I would have to say however Titanic seemed to have done very well.. But Enough said on that matter. As to a remake of 1999. if any other studio was doing it I would probably be a lot more excited about it. but not being a fan of sy fy channels so called original movie attempts. I would have to say I am worried of how they would do on this also. So far to date I personally have not liked a thing sy fy channel has made. finding it all campy, moronic in many ways, horrid visual effects, with more cheesy writing than a political speech, and filled to the brim with either washed up actors, or people they seem to have hired off the streets who couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. Saying this, I would also say that a remake of 1999 would not be that bad as long as it was done with another studio and they stayed close to the original, did not try to change every thing they could. shades of the mess they turned uss enterprise into in the 2009 movie. and actually hired writers, prop masters, and actors who are fans of the original series of 1999. Then it might not be bad. but that's just an observation, and my two cents.
I've always admired and followed the many activities in wich North America has excelled in the world.Science,education,economy,arts and yes even politics.They have the edge in those and other matteries not by chance but hard work lined with creativity, talent,and a very acute sensibility.
But it wouldn't be fair to see and speak only of their virtues,letting out some of their,in cinematography,vices.When King Kong was a big box office sucess back in the 30's,in its wake followed King Kong resurrects,son of King Kong etc.Prequels,sequels and remakes nowadays seem to focus only in the box office possible returns disregarding completely the,to me,most important part of the business,this is to say US the audiences.
Long gone seem the times when many rebellious film students mainly of California set themselves against the big studios and their mostly decaying cinematographic productions,creating masterworks of art and entertainement,being two of the most notorious of them two fellows by the names of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas.
Since their big growth in everything the U.S.A. had marked the occidental world tendencies and filmmaking hasn't being excepted.So any tendency,although wrong as the above cited of preque,sequels,etc,is mirrored and almost religiously followed by film industries of other countries,thus enlarging the vicious circle of this practice.This is what,humbly,that tiny part of the public(me)holds as true.
There is nowadays some filmmaker in that big(in many ways)continent we call North America who like Alexander the Great could cut this Gordian knot with his sword(or lightsaber)for the benefit of our long suffering movie-goers souls?
Not losing my faith in that someday it will be possible I wish to all Americans in general and all the American forumners in particular a very long live and very prosper too.
P.S. I LOVE U.S.A.!

Last edited by Captain Cyan; 14-09-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Captain Cyan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #174
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s View Post
in a way The Prisoner has been remade as The Truman Show and Inception (A B and C anyone..?) - I think these movies show that it could work
A,B and C is a case in point, as Anthony Skene "remade" the episode as part of BBC TV series called "Counterstrike". This was apparently common practice in the UK before the advent of domestic video, because repeats were limited to three showings, and then could be blocked by Equity. There are episodes of "Robin Hood" (the early one with the famous theme tune) and "William Tell" which are basically the same episode with all the names changed..
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #175
Eaglelover
Computer Technician

Any new info on the remake? Is it still going forward?

Thanks
Eaglelover is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #176
tim
Geological Technician

I assume this will be a reboot, like the new Battlestar Galactica.
tim is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote