Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Default Federation Armory

By order of Sector Commander Ham Salad, citizens of the Federation and it's enemies are ordered to gaze upon this terrifying array of weaponry, and consider the cost of disobedience. Obey or DIE. Carry on.

Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Very nice!! You've got enough personal ordnance there to subdue the odd outer colony or two.

"Unity through strength"? No, unity through having the most guns!!
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Well, actually the idea here was to show just how far off you can be if you don't have good references....

This is One of the Two Paraguns I made for 'HALF BAKED 7 back in 1987. What I had for reference was some grainy, fuzzy B&W shots in the 3 issues of 'Blakes 7 magazine'. I also would freeze frame my VCR and take sketches....

This is the reason I've been bugging Bernie and the various Andys for measurements, parts sources and the like: very irritating to work really hard on a project and then find out that because of a lack of a few simple bits of data, you've done it all wrong and the effort was pointless....

So if any of you would kindly direct me to where I could get the scope mount for the Clipgun, that would be wonderful.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 11-02-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I wanted to 'update' the HB7 production with new footage: I had in mind a scene where a half squad of troopers marches by another trooper, who is standing at guard in a corridor. A moment later, two more helmetless feds wander by, and end up locking Flake in a closet for 2 years.

So, I estimated that for the scene I would need at least 4 paraguns. Martin kindly provided me with a working model to work from, and with that and the photos from the site I was able to produce a pretty accurate rendition (it's so much easier to have the actual item to measure ).

Also, I decided to update/refurbish one of the original props I had made for the original production (because it had a flash rigged in it already), and I had another prop I had picked up from a fellow named ian that I had run into in the UK on one of my book appearances back in the '90s.

So, with martin's prop, and the one I refurbished, that made three. So, using the site info and martin's model I built two more. I made some changes, based on experience: martin's (and the originals) were made of Plastruct/EMA bits and acrylic/persepex laminated up to thickness, with some of what we would call 'masonite' (pressed wood product). Having had experience with actors professionally, I had a feeling that they would break this sort of construction: Acrylic is notoriously brittle, and the glue bonds between the different compositions of materials couldn't be that strong. (actually, martins prop didn't survive posting: the plastic to masonite glue bonds delaminated in transit, so I had to glue the stock back together and then rethread and replace the screw that secured it to the triped leg used as the telescoping part of the stock). So, I decided to make my parts out of Laminated ABS: the finished parts would be the same composition as the EMA . That would create glue bonds that would essentially be welds. Let those thespians try to break that!

I found I had a hair pulling experience with the EMA tubing specified as well: the different sized tubes did not actually telescope. The fit was so loose that shimming would have to be the order of the day. Also, the tubes were only a bit over 1mm in thickness....not very strong. I decided it would be easier to use tubing that actually fit pretty snugly already, and had thicker walls. So, I substituted ABS conduit and tubing, which has wall thickness of about 3mm. Much easier to fit together, although this made the finished receiver about 2mm bigger in diameter.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 11-02-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

So, I built /refurbished 3 new props, I had martin's, Ian's, and one unredone prop from the 1987 production that I figured would only be used in the background (if needed). That gave me the 5 I needed ( plus one extra BG prop just in case).

Incidentally, Ian said he built his from the 'horizon' plans. If so, I'm glad I didn't: though the workmanship is quite wonderful, and the construction both strong and clean, it doesn't match up with the originals as shown on the board (ian's is the black one at the bottom).

Now, the next bit will be making new helmets to go with the trooper uniforms, and I'll be ready to shoot (har har).

Bye the bye, I also ran across the Mark 2 clipgun I made in 1987, which is a bit better as a replica as there were better photos available when I built it. I'll put that up, so bernie can have a laugh. It was the 'mark 2' because I built 2 of them: the first was apparently too big (Well, Paul Darrow said so when he handled it during a visit here, so I took his word for it).
It's a bugger trying to guess at a scale, isn't it? Anyhow, both the mark 1 and 2 were both rigged with flashes and used in the production.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 11-02-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

Nicely done my freind.
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.F.U. View Post
Nicely done my freind.
Well, actually your parts are cleaner than mine: I'm afraid bandsaw and sanding doesn't produce the perfect clean parts a laser does.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

My arsenal of fictitious firearms, you may recognise some of these.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrl View Post
My arsenal of fictitious firearms, you may recognise some of these.
Familiar?

Why, one might even say we've been very close at times.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

Loving the Dan Dare ray gun - did you mak it or buy it? otherwise a fine collection.
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #11
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I have got an original 'Buck rodgers' disintgrator gun somewhere from the '30s....
Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Dan Dare, well spotted, showing your age, bought it, made of wood. In fact I bet you could age me to within a year with this collection.

Would that be a Buck Rogers gun from 2430's?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
JudgeMinty
Life Support Technician

That looks like a nice example of the Blade Runner blaster.

Which is it?
JudgeMinty is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #14
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeMinty View Post
That looks like a nice example of the Blade Runner blaster.

Which is it?

That's actually a garage kit called the 'PKD' which I acquired some time ago: it has a lot of text on the receiver the builder made up, and also it's a bit over sized: lots of people have produced kits over the years, one in particular who made at least 3 marks of the thing: see, it's hard to 'pin down' a lot of the details. Much of it was made from a 'steyr' bolt action rifle...but said rifle was made in several calibers and so the the relative sizes of parts were always arguable. Further, several 'stunt castings of the original prop made the rounds, so many based their build on these....which turned out to be too small ( the 'tuffy' rubber they were cast from shrinks over time). This actually nailed me: I actually had a build I machined/cast out of aluminum and steel and had progressed to the point of fitting the parts together when I found out they were all wrong, being too small. ARGH!

Then, the original resurfaced in LA at a worldcon one year, and of course many people photographed and measured the thing. That created a flurry of new makes. Unfortunately, some kit sellers (although they have in fact no license to make the thing or actual connection with the original) are quite possessive of it: they seem to feel only they should be making the things, because they somehow 'own' it. Well, I'm sure you've seen the like before. Lots of infighting.

Finally, a fellow RPFer lent me an original receiver (it's very hard to find the original styer receiver anymore, as with the years the thing is now a scarce antique) and had an aluminum casting made up of the original gun parts. I was back at the stage of fitting the thing together again when I suddenly realized that since I designed the prop to fit around the receiver of blank revolver (so it would simulate firing) , I'd never be able to take it to display anywhere because now conventions have banned metal/working gun props! Maybe some day I'll finish it out anyhow....don't know what's I'd do with it after, really. Hang it on the wall?
Old 21-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Default Actually

Ham did indeed send me the garage kit mentioned, but this is a customised offworld metal version. The PDF is under repair at the moment. It is a bit big and inaccurate, but I still rate it. It has a nice heft and is crisp and sharp.

Old 21-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
JudgeMinty
Life Support Technician

Cool. I've also got an offworld, but just the standard version, though I did upgrade the LED in the 'magazine'.

PKD stands for Philip K Dick, and is used for many of the replicas. Have you seen Adam Savage's youtube thing about the blasters he has bought and created?

I kept up on the infighting on RPF and the Bladerunner forum. I heard a rumour that the Worldcon one has now been 'restored'.
JudgeMinty is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeMinty View Post
Cool. I've also got an offworld, but just the standard version, though I did upgrade the LED in the 'magazine'.

PKD stands for Philip K Dick, and is used for many of the replicas. Have you seen Adam Savage's youtube thing about the blasters he has bought and created?

I kept up on the infighting on RPF and the Bladerunner forum. I heard a rumour that the Worldcon one has now been 'restored'.
Yeah, I always heard it had been bought up by gentle giant or some company that was going to do a master replicas type version....wish they had done that.
Old 21-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #18
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrl View Post
Ham did indeed send me the garage kit mentioned, but this is a customised offworld metal version. The PDF is under repair at the moment. It is a bit big and inaccurate, but I still rate it. It has a nice heft and is crisp and sharp.

That's the one I have too: I stripped the barrel shroud and reblued it to get the worn look, and then repainted the rest to match the 'worldcon' photos.
Old 21-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #19
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Just watched the Adam Savage vids, I don't know whether to admire him, or be a bit worried that I admire his, what seems to me, perfectly reasonable obsession.

PDK, didn't know that. thanks.

Another replica........no............I'd only have to buy it.