Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Captain's Toolbox

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Default Dremel experience

I am in need of a new "Dremel"-like tool. Right now, I am looking at a Dremel Stylus. Do any Alphans on this forum have any experience with this tool? Pros and Cons? Thank you. Ron
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

I have a Dremel and have been using her for the past 25 years.
No problems; as long as you don't run her for longer than 20 mins at a time without a break.
I only ever use the sanding drums, drill and a selection of Tungsten carbine tipped cutting bits (needle type) and I also have a router bit, all three collets and a stand to turn it into a Pilar drill.
I did but the top of the range version though and it cost a lot of money back then.

Top stuff! I know that of late the cheaper Dremels have been a bit shoddy quality wise and I know several people who have burnt out the cordless types. But as long as you treat it for what it as (a small motor tool for small job and not a professional 3 phase piece of kit), it will last a life time.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

The only problem I can see is that its shape makes it incompatible with existing accessories like the Dremel drill press. Other than that - It looks pretty nifty and I'm glad they finally got the rechargeable battery memory thing solved. I have a couple of items around the house that have been rendered useless because the batteries think they're fully charged after 10 minutes of charging.
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Thanks Hectors House and TerraForm1. Both of you mentioned some good points. I will using it only for model work and not for rebuilding the house...;-) so it probably will never be overloaded... hmm, ok, I see, my model projects got bigger and bigger in the last few months...

Because I don't have a drill press or such things, there shouldn't be a problem with incompatible older accessories and the existing heads will certainly fit.

So I guess I will go for it. Right now, it is here available for around 105 $ (normally 135 $). Should be a good X-Mas present for me

Thanks again for your input, I will write about my experiences with it somewhen next year.

Cheers, Ron
Old 17-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

All Dremel's come with a 3.2mm collet as std.
So old and new will fit - no problem.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
EagleNut
Weapons Technician

Did you purchase one Ron ?

I had one of these "stylus" a few years ago.

But not for long... returned the same week to the store ( axle off centered...).

Strange, seems new Dremel products are not really what they used to be......

I finally changed my mind for a Proxxon, just like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Proxxon-38472-FBS...item2ebb860ecc

Somewhat larger and heavier ( I'm used with that now...), but good tool and reliable.
EagleNut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Yes, I did buy one, and up to now I am very happy with it. And the one before was no Dremel neither but a Proxxon too (not the one with the changeable speed though).
I think the Stylus gives you a lot of freedom and is ideal for small details. After buying some different sized collets, all of the old heads fit.
I think it is like I said before, it is not really made for building a house, but for my model work it is perfect.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleNut View Post
Strange, seems new Dremel products are not really what they used to be......

I finally changed my mind for a Proxxon, just like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Proxxon-38472-FBS...item2ebb860ecc

Somewhat larger and heavier ( I'm used with that now...), but good tool and reliable.
Proxxon seem to be the tool of choice in Germany - Dremel stuff is shoved up in a tiny corner next to the big Proxxon displays in the DIY centres.

I imagine the quality issues with Dremel are due to relocation of the manufacturing facility.. ->cough<- ->China<- ->cough<-
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
EagleNut
Weapons Technician

Glad to know your's is not a "monday morning" one and works finely.
EagleNut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Jamesbeat
Hydroponics Technician

Dremel tools are great, but don't forget the old hand tools too such as files and saws.
I always cringe when I see people using a Dremel for something that would be easier, cheaper, safer, and probably faster with hand tools...
Jamesbeat is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote