Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Default Let's play a game called "Plot Clot"

This thread will be dedicated to filling in the holes that seem to be endless in this series. I want to encourage legitimate, scientific answers to all plot problems that seem to crop up. I would like everyone to remain positive about undiscovered possibilities that can explain what is seen in the episodes. I'm sure some will lean towards the comedic, and that's ok, but let's stay positive and see what we come up with. I'll start, but feel free to add your own, plot problem or answer.

1) How can Maya transform? Especially into larger and smaller creatures? This seems impossible.

Possible answer: Maybe the Psychons had an ability we wouldn't understand. I'm thinking when Maya transforms, she can open a small wormhole. Here she can either add mass or store mass while she's transformed. This may also help explain why she can only hold form for an hour. The wormhole of course would be temporary.
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTracy View Post

1) How can Maya transform? Especially into larger and smaller creatures? This seems impossible..

Ah, now this sort of thing has been discussed in other venues. First, you have too look at the fact that technically most matter is essentially empty space. So this could be done in different ways:

1. all the molecules could be moved closer together. This would reduce physical size but not mass. This would seem a bad idea since you'd have, say, a mouse that weighs about 110 pounds.

2. Maya's decrease in size/ changed shape is actually some sort of illusion. We just THINK she's changed her shape/size.

3. She somehow converts her mass into energy, and then converts the mass back into matter and sheds excess mass as energy into the environment. Then, when she resumes her original shape, she requires the energy from the environment and converts it to mass. Or, she somehow stores the energy for mass conversion...don't ask me how, but ultraman does it, too. Maybe in the for of eyebrow bumps.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

I've given this some deep consideration for some years and now believe I've uncovered a new type of matter, invented by the series writers back in 1975: When the script demands that Maya needs to transform, writers take advantage of 'doesn'tmatter'. This special type of literary matter is subject to just one boundary - a scriptwriter's imagination. How does Maya shrink, expand, or change? Explanation: it not magic, it not illusion, it doesn'tmatter.
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
tastic1
Geological Technician

I think you'll find almost all of Gerry's shows are pretty vacuous..
While visually superior to all American shows at the time, Gene Roddenberry he aint..
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default To Each His Own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastic1 View Post
While visually superior to all American shows at the time, Gene Roddenberry he aint..

One of, to me, the enduring strengths of all things Anderson, was setting out to do something different with a familiar formula - be it in Supermarionation, live action, CGI or what have you.

Be it, too, that creative endeavor of any sort is rather subjective virtually by definition, I don't know that any sort of apples-to-apples comparison can be made!

(Full disclosure: I was already an Andersonphile, before Star Trek came along! )
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastic1 View Post

Yes, maya is pretty silly when compared to the impressive display of scriptwriting that appered in 'And the children shall lead', 'spock's brain' and 'the way to eden.' Funnything, they all had the same thing in common: fred freiburger. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 19-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

The Last Sunset:

So the aliens provide the moon with an atmosphere, but what about the gravity?
When they first go outside, I assume they are very close to Alpha, so the gravity towers could still be in effect. However, when they crash the eagle, they would have to be out of range.

Possible answer: The Eagles are equipped with there own gravity, which makes sense as they aren't floating around on missions, and possibly this can be extended for a small area outside.
Old 19-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Speaking of Apples...

Quote:
The Last Sunset:

When they first go outside, I assume they are very close to Alpha, so the gravity towers could still be in effect. However, when they crash the eagle, they would have to be out of range.

Possible answer: The Eagles are equipped with there own gravity, which makes sense as they aren't floating around on missions, and possibly this can be extended for a small area outside.

Re the Eagles: I'm of a similar view. Same as what Alpha itself does, albeit on a smaller scale. Makes sense that an Eagle could not only stabilize the gravity inside it, but project this for a given immediate distance beyond and surrounding it - certainly useful!

ADD Last Sunset: Extenuating circumstances here (Ariel), especially in the case of the Eagle crash. (They didn't want the Alphans coming their way, remember.) Without normalized gravity, wouldn't that atmosphere have escaped to space - which eventually happens by the end of the episode?
Old 19-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Howard
Deputy Commander

Science Fiction.
The suspension of disbelief.
From speculative fiction, (hence set in the future) where the technical impossibilities of today are overcome for storytelling sake.

I'm not defending the Maya example - I couldn't get into season 2, and I'm nowhere near bright enough to add anything scientifically legitimate to explain her metamorphing ability. After all, it was simply a 'get out of jail free' card for the writers (what that hour limit ever used to any great degree?) to aid overcoming a problem the usual characters couldn't. Rather than a plot clot, it actually allowed the stories to continue.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
The Last Sunset:

I thought that was a discussed part of the premise: in fact, I thought that the field generator discoveries that victor made in the show are what enabled the eagles to greatly extend their range and performance: he found a modification for the field generators on the eagles that greatly reduced their inertia.

Old 20-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post

Re the Eagles: I'm of a similar view. Same as what Alpha itself does, albeit on a smaller scale. Makes sense that an Eagle could not only stabilize the gravity inside it, but project this for a given immediate distance beyond and surrounding it - certainly useful!

ADD Last Sunset: Extenuating circumstances here (Ariel), especially in the case of the Eagle crash. (They didn't want the Alphans coming their way, remember.) Without normalized gravity, wouldn't that atmosphere have escaped to space - which eventually happens by the end of the episode?
Thats true, the atmosphere would escape eventually, but it would take time depending on how thick and/or heavy it was.
Old 22-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

On the topic of Maya's transformations: a similar idea was used in the film Fantastic Voyage, including the "60 mins" time limit. However, the scientist who discovered it, Jan Benes (note the surname), apparently dies at the end because he has great big submarine in his head!

I think that the Psychons can do the miniaturisation with their brain stems. This may be one reason why the Dorcons hunt Psychons for their brain stems.

Other than that, I like the "doesn't-matter" theory. But I'm not sure if Maya makes the electronic sound and bursts out of her own eye every time she mutates, as a) the beeping sound must be very annoying (c.f. the Six Million Dollar Man's bionic eye must drive him insane with its constant beep-beep noises), and b) it must be very painful for Maya to burst out of her own eye.

As to the gravity on the moon in "The Last Sunset". Doesn't Victor give a line about how the gravity is becoming "similar to Earth" before he says, "It's going to be a beautiful, beautiful new world"?

Now my question for the panel: In "Missing Link" when Koenig is on the moon at the start, he holds his com-lock to his mouth and says "Come in, Eagle 4". But he's in a vacuum. Surely it wouldn't work, would it?
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

"Now my question for the panel: In "Missing Link" when Koenig is on the moon at the start, he holds his com-lock to his mouth and says "Come in, Eagle 4". But he's in a vacuum. Surely it wouldn't work, would it?"

Good question Pete! I'd have to watch the episode again to see the circumstances. I suppose, if he already had enough air in his lungs to speak, it may work, as then the sound would still be traveling across the air molecules. Plausible?

Breakaway: Why does it seem only Sparkman and Warren have burns on their faces, when this is not seen with any other affected Alphan?

Possible answer: They were on a training flight when affected, and crashed their Eagle/Meta practice ship and never got their visors down. This can also explain why they don't seem to have burns anywhere else on their bodies.
Old 22-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Various episodes: How can the Alphans survive on the surface when their visors open?

A: I think it's possible. I live in Florida where it is hot and humid, but inside, a/c is prevalent. When you walk into a store you are greeted by a "wall" of air that blows powerfully down, in effect creating a separation between the outside and inside. The spacesuits may be equipped with something like this that would allow them a few seconds to close the visor, and survive. Of course, I have no idea why the visors would open so easily in the first place, you would think there would be a way to lock it closed. I suppose you also have to guard against your suit overloading with air, and therefore needing a way to decompress??
Old 22-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

In respect to Maya she obviously naturally controls Pym PArticles as part of the transformation phase - simple when you think about it
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
"Now my question for the panel: In "Missing Link" when Koenig is on the moon at the start, he holds his com-lock to his mouth and says "Come in, Eagle 4". But he's in a vacuum. Surely it wouldn't work, would it?".

I thought commlocks tied into the suit radios...the commlock is only acting as a 'tuner' and video camera.
Old 22-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Hello, Anybody, Hello...

Re Moonbase Alpha Technical Notebook (Catacombs/CyberMuseum); emphasis mine:

"...The Commlock accepts either keyboard or voice programming,
and in addition to tis twenty standard functions (a maximum of
four may be used at one time, unless the unit is plugged into a
desk-top receiver putting it in direct contact with the
main computer) it has several programmable modes:

" -In Communications Mode, the keyboard can address any other
Commlock, Communication Post, or Intercommunication Unit within
its range
..."

So, yes, the various communication venues - be they small as a commlock or big as an Eagle - can and do tie in together. As to Koenig's lifting it up to speak into it - notwithstanding that he's on the surface in a spacesuit! - I'd just put that down to nothing more than simple force of habit!

(ADD: bold is intended to emphasize only - nothing else!)

Last edited by boatshewsd2; 22-10-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 23-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #18
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post
As to Koenig's lifting it up to speak into it - notwithstanding that he's on the surface in a spacesuit! - I'd just put that down to nothing more than simple force of habit!
I thought he did that because the camera in the commlock would 'see' him that way.

On the other hand, I kinda wondered why they didn't use that particular feature in episodes where it would have been profitable for someone at the other end to see what was going on...
Old 23-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Yes, I'd accept that as an answer - Koenig wants video linkup. There are a few other "gaffs" with the com-lock though.

In "A Matter of Life and Death" when Dr Mathias gets knocked over by Lee Russell he presses a "panic button", which summons security and informs where the emergency is. That's a great feature.

However, in "Ring Around the Moon" Sandra desperately tries to call security by pressing a button on her desk when Ted Clifford goes bonkers.

Similarly, in "Missing Link" when Carter tries to stop Helena from turning off Koenig's lifesupport machine, she doesn't use the panic button feature but instead calls, "Security to diagnostic..."

Come to think of it Hilary Preston doesn't use the panic button feature either when she's being stalked by Anton Zoref in "Force of Life". Indeed, Zoref doesn't press the button either when he gets attacked by the alien force - instead he calls for help via the communications post.
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote